[comp.sys.mac] II ==> IIx conversions

flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) (04/22/89)

	I'm thinking of upgrading my Mac II to a IIx(or beyond).
If you have either gone the Apple upgrade route(motherboard + FDHD drive)
or have purchased a Daystar Digital 33Mhz/030 board I would like to know
cost, performance, and how you like the new configuration. Also if you have
another route to a 68030 upgrade I would like to hear(see?!) from you.

I will post a summary of responses.
Thanks in advance!
Scott Flatman ( Student at large... )

bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) (04/22/89)

In article <10148@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:

>	I'm thinking of upgrading my Mac II to a IIx(or beyond).
>If you have either gone the Apple upgrade route(motherboard + FDHD drive)
>or have purchased a Daystar Digital 33Mhz/030 board I would like to know
>cost, performance, and how you like the new configuration. Also if you have
>another route to a 68030 upgrade I would like to hear(see?!) from you.
>
>I will post a summary of responses.
>Thanks in advance!
>Scott Flatman ( Student at large... )

  In the past several months, I have tested just about every accelerator
board on the market. Here are my results:

	1. Dove

        	Without a ram cache, the speed improvement on a II is
		about as great as going from a plus to an SE. Also, without
		the rom/superdrive upgrade, you CANNOT run A/UX with this
		board installed. Not a lot of improvement for $1000.

	2. Daystar Digital

		I bought the board in Jan., and for two months I tried to
		get the thing to work with no success. Finally, two weeks ago
		I demanded a refund, so they sent me a new board. After all
		of that hastle, the board works very well (including with
		A/UX and 32-bit QD). The ram cache really makes looping
		operations fly (about 55 times faster). Still, it is pricy.

	3. Siclone

		I just recently got a few of these in, and the initial
		indications are good. They seem compatible with just about
		every application (with the exception of Applelink). We
		have run into one problem -- one of the boards seems to have
		a timing problem which causes the Sony driver to fail to read
		a floppy. It seems slower than the Daystar board, but MacWeek
         	claims it is faster. It too is a bit expensive....

 All in all, if you really dont need the speed, I would wait for the prices to
drop, and the manufacturers to work out all of the bugs before investing in
an accelerator card (they cost as much as a new Mac II !!).

Disclaimer: Of course, these are all my opinions, and DuPont has no idea that
I even read comp.sys.mac, let alone post to it.

Mike Bell                                     CSnet: BELLMA%ERVX01@dupont.com
Senior Engineer                               Applelink: D2747
DuPont Electronic Imaging
Core Technology Group

            Can YOUR mac play FOOTBALL ????