[comp.sys.mac] Is Word4.0 here?

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (04/08/89)

In it last notice, Microsoft said that version 4.0 would have been
released in the FIRST QUARTER of 1989.  Has anyone gotten anything yet?

--
Pablo Fernicola			pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu
Machine Intelligence Laboratory

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (04/09/89)

In article <20033@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) writes:
> In it last notice, Microsoft said that version 4.0 would have been
> released in the FIRST QUARTER of 1989.  Has anyone gotten anything yet?
>

> --
> Pablo Fernicola			pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu

Well, I haven't heard anything from Microsoft either, but the latest
ComputerWare catalogue, dated April 1989, lists MSWord 4.0 as
available for $247 in both ther "What's new" section and the Word
Processors part of the catalogue.   I haven't called and asked if this
is for real yet, partly becuase I don't want to be really annoyed at
finding out Microsoft has screwed over its customers again if
Computerware indeed has it in stock...

_DHMS
David HM Spector				   New York University
Unix Manager/Senior Systems Programmer		   Stern School of Business
ARPAnet: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			   Academic Computing Center
USEnet:...!{uunet,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector     90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA (44.68.0.50)  MCIMail: DSpector    New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: DHMSpector   CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life"
			- Senator Orrin Hatch

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (04/09/89)

In article <434@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU> spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) writes:
>In article <20033@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) writes:
>> In it last notice, Microsoft said that version 4.0 would have been
>> released in the FIRST QUARTER of 1989.  Has anyone gotten anything yet?

>Well, I haven't heard anything from Microsoft either, but the latest
>ComputerWare catalogue, dated April 1989, lists MSWord 4.0 as
>available for $247 in both ther "What's new" section and the Word
(Several lines deleted.)

I've been mislead by this sort of thing before too.  I think we have to
remember that these catalogs, ads in magazines, and even junk mail are often
printed weeks (if not months) in advance of when the info is actually seen by
us, the consumers.  Well-intentioned companies likely time their ads to appear
when the supplier claims a product will be available.  Hence we see ads for MS
Word 4.0 although it is not yet released.  Microsoft is behind schedule.

Because of the long lead time required, info from ads and catalogs can be
unreliable.  MS Word isn't out yet... believe it when you read of it here or
in MacWEEK or some other _timely_ medium.

Jim

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

>In it last notice, Microsoft said that version 4.0 would have been
>released in the FIRST QUARTER of 1989.  Has anyone gotten anything yet?

As of Friday, it hadn't been released. However, Microsoft *has* shipped what
it thinks is the golden copy to beta sites for one final "let's make sure
something didn't sneak in during that last compile" -- so unless something
nasty pops in, it looks like it's about to be soup.

Since I'm under non-disclosure, I don't want to go into details, but I will
say this: based on what I've seen of the Word 4 beta, most companies would
have shipped this product weeks ago. Which I think says a lot about
Microsoft's attempt to make Word 4 clean.

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

USENET: N. A self-replicating phage engineered by the phone company to cause
computers to spend large amounts of their owners budget on modem charges.

KHS@cup.portal.com (KEITH HAYDEN SHERRY) (04/12/89)

>In it last notice, Microsoft said that version 4.0 would have been
>released in the FIRST QUARTER of 1989.  Has anyone gotten anything yet?

I just got the May issue of MacUser magazine and MacConnection lists MS Word
4.0  on its product list.  I haven't had a chance to call them yet and see if
it's "in stock"  but I find this promising; or maybe it's just wishful think-
ing on their, and my, part.

K-Sherry..............................KHS@cup.portal.com
                                      GEnie:  K.SHERRY

Raines.Cohen@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Raines Cohen) (04/13/89)

Sources here say that Word beta version 43 went "golden" and started production today.

We'll find out tomorrow [tonight, actually] when the Word 4.0 product manager speaks at BMUG.

-- Raines Cohen
 SYSOP, BMUG BBS

--
INTERNET:  bmug!User.Name@apple.COM UUCP: apple!bmug!User.Name

ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) (04/14/89)

From article <17044@cup.portal.com>, by KEITH HAYDEN SHERRY:
>>In it last notice, Microsoft said that version 4.0 would have been
>>released in the FIRST QUARTER of 1989.  Has anyone gotten anything yet?
> I just got the May issue of MacUser magazine and MacConnection lists MS Word
> 4.0  on its product list.  I haven't had a chance to call them yet and see if
> it's "in stock"  but I find this promising; or maybe it's just wishful think-
> ing on their, and my, part.
>
> K-Sherry..............................KHS@cup.portal.com
>                                       GEnie:  K.SHERRY

I saw MS Word 4.0 in MacWarehouse's catalog and ordered it last Feb 24.  They
don't expect it to be on their shelves until end of May 89, and then they
weren't sure.  What was that statement by good ol' Bill?  Something about
real soon and absolutely no bugs!?  Look for the smoke but don't expect fire
any time soon.

TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
aka Ted Jardine  CFI-ASME/I
Usenet:		...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ted
Internet:	ted@atc.boeing.com
--

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (04/17/89)

In article <2599@ssc-vax.UUCP> ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) writes:

>I saw MS Word 4.0 in MacWarehouse's catalog and ordered it last Feb 24.  They
>don't expect it to be on their shelves until end of May 89, and then they
>weren't sure.  What was that statement by good ol' Bill?  Something about
>real soon and absolutely no bugs!?  Look for the smoke but don't expect fire
>any time soon.
>
>TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
>aka Ted Jardine  CFI-ASME/I
>Usenet:		...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ted
>Internet:	ted@atc.boeing.com
Our Computer Shop has been told by Micosoft that Word 4.0 will not ship
until June (19??).  The best part is that Microsoft stopped production of
3.02 and doesn't have any available.  They are rushing out a special version
that includes the disks and just 20 pages of docs.  Suckers, uh I mean people,
who buy this get a coupon good for a free 4.0 when it's available.

I don't know what problems they are having but I do know that 4.0b15 was
incompatible with Apple's Multifinder 6.1a2.

By the way, I looked into my copy of 4.0b15 with ResEdit and what do you
think I found.... p-Code.  I thought Microsoft was going to ditch that
silly p-Code interpreter system and just compile directly to the 680x0.

Anybody care to comment?

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (04/19/89)

For what it's worth, the WSJ of today (18 April) says:

   Microsoft ... said it would begin shipping later this month copies of
   an often-delayed new version of its word processing program for Apple
   Computer Inc. Macintosh computers.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (04/19/89)

In article <3997@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) writes:
>I don't know what problems they are having but I do know that 4.0b15 was
>incompatible with Apple's Multifinder 6.1a2.

BTW, what is MultiFinder 6.1a2? Is this some unreleased beta? My
version from the Sys SW 6.0.2 is "6.0.1". Will Apple ever decide
to use a version numbering system that makes sense?

Richard Fozzard
University of Colorado				"Serendipity empowers"
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (04/19/89)

In article <131.2448C2AA@bmug.FIDONET.ORG> Raines.Cohen@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Raines Cohen) writes:
>Sources here say that Word beta version 43 went "golden" and started production today.
>
>We'll find out tomorrow [tonight, actually] when the Word 4.0 product manager speaks at BMUG.
>
>-- Raines Cohen
> SYSOP, BMUG BBS

Apparently, BMUG has a copy of Word 4.0, and at least one BMUG member
has called in to say that he has received his upgrade in the mail
already.

Benefits of being a BMUG member, I guess...Or curse, depending on
your feelings for/against Microsoft products...

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/19/89)

In article <8214@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) writes...

>BTW, what is MultiFinder 6.1a2? Is this some unreleased beta? My
>version from the Sys SW 6.0.2 is "6.0.1". Will Apple ever decide
>to use a version numbering system that makes sense?

MultiFinder 6.1a2 was a release that went together with MPW's SADE (symbolic
debugger).  I believe it has/had some sort of IPC capabilities which were
needed for SADE to work.  I think this version is outdated.  In any case,
System 7.0, which will be out Real Soon Now, should have IPC capabilities, and
much, much more. :->

Apple's numbering system actually does make sense, though I still find it at
times confusing.  I believe it goes like this:

	X.Y.Z*.k

would be: Version X, update Y, maintainance update Z.

Now for the tricky part:  in this scheme * can be d,a, or b.  "d" is for
"development", and is the earliest stage; "a" is for "alpha", next stage in
development; and "b" is for "beta".

"k" in this scheme would be, I believe, the internal version number.

Thus, 6.1a2 would be MF Version 6, update 1, alpha version 2.

I think that's how it goes.  Hope that helps.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

xpress@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Brad Hochberg) (04/19/89)

According to today's issue of MacWeek (April 18):
	In the beginning was the Word, but this week there's Word 4.  The
	new version of Microsoft Word, which commands an estimated 70% of
	the Mac word processing market, ships this week.  Originally
	scheduled for release last fall, Version 4.0 adds new table-making
	tools, increased customizability and a variety of other enhancements.
	The price remains $395, with upgrades priced at $75.

Has anyone received upgrade forms from Microsoft yet?

Brad Hochberg
xpress@portia.stanford.edu

adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony Dunyeh Chen) (04/21/89)

In article <1677@Portia.Stanford.EDU> xpress@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Brad Hochberg) writes:
>According to today's issue of MacWeek (April 18):
>	tools, increased customizability and a variety of other enhancements.
>	The price remains $395, with upgrades priced at $75.

Good thing we won't have to pay the $395 if you look around in catalogs
and such. Hopefully the most we'll have to dish out is approx. $250 or so.

Tony Chen
adchen@phoenix.princeton.edu

fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (04/23/89)

  To answer some of the questions earlier, I just got an upgrade coupon for
Word 4.0 today.  So it is out now.
                                                        Paul Fons
                                        University of Illinois
                                        Coordinated Science Laboratory