[comp.sys.mac] Which stock CDC Wren drives work with Mac IIx

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (04/12/89)

I might try to save money by buying a diskless IIx
and getting a non-Apple SCSI disk to install into it.

The cheapest way to buy CDC Wren drives is to buy
direct from a distributor such as Kierulff.  Question
is, which Wren models/revs pop right into a IIx and
work?  Is there some configuration/driver software that
one should buy to make a raw Wren drive play in a IIx?
I'm not afraid of making ribbon cables or formatting
and partitioning a disk.

 --dave

zeke@wilbur.unix.ETA.COM (Robert K. Scott) (04/13/89)

In article <488@grand.UUCP>, day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:
> The cheapest way to buy CDC Wren drives is to buy
> direct from a distributor such as Kierulff.  Question
> is, which Wren models/revs pop right into a IIx and
> work?  Is there some configuration/driver software that
> one should buy to make a raw Wren drive play in a IIx?

Buy the MacWren, which is specifically designed for the quirks
of the Macintosh SCSI interface.  Regular Wren SCSI drives have
some quirks when used on a Mac, the worst of which is that they
may not automatically mount if there is more than one SCSI in
the chain.

You will, of course, still need driver software, etc.

Extra zesty disclaimer:  MINE! MINE! ALL MINE! <chortle snort froth drool>

Robert K. "Zeke" Scott        internet: zeke@sunfun.eta.com
voice: (612) 642-3493         uucp: {amdahl,rutgers}!bungia!eta!sunfun!zeke
snail: ETA Systems, Inc. ETC03J, 1450 Energy Park Drive, St. Paul, MN  55108

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/23/89)

I'd recommend the "MacWren" models. The others have minor problems with Macs,
especially pre-MacII, and their SCSI delay is significantly longer (about 10
to 15 milliseconds, as I recall).

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}