[comp.sys.mac] Thanks, what about other laserprinters?

clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) (04/15/89)

Thanks for the timely response on the Jasmine Direct Printer
query. I had no idea what I was getting into (phew).

But now that I know what to steer clear of, can anyone
recommend a postscript printer for a single user that is
reasonably priced (<$4000) and has a good track record?
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

any suggestions would be most appreciated. Also addresses
and/or numbers of dealers if possible.

Chris

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (04/19/89)

<
<But now that I know what to steer clear of, can anyone
<recommend a postscript printer for a single user that is
<reasonably priced (<$4000) and has a good track record?
<                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<
I noticed an article recently that said QMS had lowered the price of their
PS 810 printer. Even though the list price is still over $4000, that's all
I paid when it was first introduced. I've been very happy with its per-
formance in the year I've owned it. However, just before the (1 year)
warranty expired, I asked service to fix the page count mechanism. It kept
resetting to 0 and I had no idea how many pages were left on the
cartridge.

When I got it back with its new motherboard, it didn't work write. They
swapped again and it still didn't work. The service center is fairly close
to work so it wasn't too bad to take it back. They are having some heat
problems and are determined to get to the bottom of the issue, so they
now have my printer and I have theirs (which works fine).

One thing I noticed: Some graphics that don't print correctly on the NTx
do print correctly on the QMS. I used SuperPaint 2.0 and had black boxes
with white type. Pasting that in Word, it looked fine in the editor and in
page preview, but expanded out past the margin when I printed it on the
NTx. Yet my QMS printout was perfect.

Now, the real problem is, what will the Linotronic do when I turn over the
diskette to my client? My first experience was not positive. I had used
the Cairo arrows in some drawings of keycaps and they printed as other
characters, like equals, brackets, etc. But we stray from the subject.

Anyways, I still trust QMS. They seem willing to bring out leading edge
printers and stand behind them. I did buy a maintenance agreement though.

Shirley Kehr

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/23/89)

(Christopher Lye) writes:
>Thanks for the timely response on the Jasmine Direct Printer
>query. I had no idea what I was getting into (phew).
>
>But now that I know what to steer clear of, can anyone
>recommend a postscript printer for a single user that is
>reasonably priced (<$4000) and has a good track record?
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Huh? What response?

What original posting, for that matter?

What were the bad points about the Jasmine/Qume printer? What little I
know of the printer is that it's a really good machine (if you're
willing to use a postscript clone). I remember one problem with it which
related to Bitstream's acquisition of an improved font format, which
required an upgrade to use new fonts, but as far as I know
1) This wasn't a bug, it was an added feature.
2) The upgrade was distributed free by Jasmine.

Is there something else I don't know about?

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)