[comp.sys.mac] 300 Meg drives for Mac II

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/23/89)

In article <8904161449.AA09691@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>
gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) writes:
>Anyone have experience with the various 300 Mb internals for the Mac II?  From
>MacWorld ads, I see that a CMS drive can be had for about $2600, while a
>MacBest drive can be had for around $1800.
>
>Is there any reason NOT to go with the less expensive drive?  I've heard
>that all 300 Mb drives available today are based on the same mechanism (Wren).
>Is this true?  If so, than is there any difference between the two drives?

This is NOT true. There are a number of different mechanisms you can get.

The Wren formats to about 290MB. There are also a variety of drives that will
format to about 320MB, including Maxtor, Priam, and MiniScribe. Then there
is the Wren Runner, which formats to 321MB, and is MUCH faster than any of
the others, especially if you are doing seek-intensive work. It can be had
for about $2500 mail-order.

If you're looking for a good company to deal with, go MicroNet. They have the
Runner, the regular CDC 300, and the Priam (somewhat slower and cheaper).
Their prices are very competitive (not the lists, but the discounted lists
or the dealer prices, either of which are easy to get).

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)