[comp.sys.mac] 40-ish MB HD recommendations??

flanagan@apollo.COM (Kevin Flanagan) (04/12/89)

I'm thinking about buying a HD for a MAC+, probably
40MB or therabouts.  Anyone got any recommendations?
I've been thinking about MacBtm & Jasmine, but am
open to suggestions.  This is for a personal system,
so $$$ are an impt -- but not overridiing concern.

Thanks,
Kevin

p.s. recommendations on where to buy appreciated, too!

Kevin Flanagan         [flanagan@apollo.uucp]
Network R&D            [flanagan@apollo.com]
Apollo Computer, Inc.  [{decwrl!decvax,mit-eddie,attunix,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!flanagan]
(508)256-6600

lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (04/12/89)

In article <42931393.1608b@apollo.COM> flanagan@apollo.COM (Kevin Flanagan) writes:
>I'm thinking about buying a HD for a MAC+, probably
>40MB or therabouts.  Anyone got any recommendations?
>I've been thinking about MacBtm & Jasmine, but am
>open to suggestions.  This is for a personal system,
>so $$$ are an impt -- but not overridiing concern.
>
>Thanks,
>Kevin
>
>p.s. recommendations on where to buy appreciated, too!
>
>Kevin Flanagan         [flanagan@apollo.uucp]

Anything with a Quantum internal drive mechanism will be
fine.  Several drive manufacturers sell Quantum insides,
including Jasmine now.  Stay away from MacBottom, they
use Seagates.  Quantums are much quieter, faster and
more reliable.  Also more expensive, but in this case
you get what you pay for.  Try looking in MacUser or
MacWorld for the latest mail-order ads.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/15/89)

Whatever disk company you buy from, get a quantum. I've come down on Quantums
when I was discussing AppleShare servers, but it's the best thing you can
get for personal use if $$$ is not absolutely critical. Otherwise, get a
Seagate, but ONLY from someone who you TRUST to take returns if drive dies,
which it well might in the first few months. Failure rates on the 45MB unit
have ranged from 1-4%.

MicroNet is one such reliable company, and their prices are very good.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (04/17/89)

In article <1597@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>Whatever disk company you buy from, get a quantum. I've come down on Quantums
>when I was discussing AppleShare servers, but it's the best thing you can
>get for personal use if $$$ is not absolutely critical. Otherwise, get a
>Seagate, but ONLY from someone who you TRUST to take returns if drive dies,
>which it well might in the first few months. Failure rates on the 45MB unit
>have ranged from 1-4%.
>
>MicroNet is one such reliable company, and their prices are very good.
>
>Alexis Rosen

I must disagree with your perception of MicroNet.  Sure, their prices
are pretty good, but as with many things, you get what you pay for.

People don't get drives to have them fail.  Drives should have a very
good MTBF and an extremely low failure rate.  A consumer should expect
to pay for that.  Quantum drives have both, so that's what I recommend.

Jasmine has switched from Rodime to Quantum.  Apple has switched from
Seagate to Quantum and Sony (I hear Sonys are noisy, though).  I know
Quantums are more expensive than Seagates, but the latest data show
Seagates to have a pretty high failure rate.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

gwangung@blake.acs.washington.edu (Roger Tang) (04/18/89)

	This discussion is getting me curious.  Could someone tell me (either
post or by mail) which HDs have Quantum drives?  In the 30-60 Meg range?

	Thanx.

pv9y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (04/19/89)

Has anyone heard anything about the Ehman hard drives?  A friend is interested
in getting on and they quote him a price of $579 for a 65 meg drive, which is
pretty good.

Thanks ...

Adam

vakselro@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Vadim Akselrod) (04/21/89)

In article <23298@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
>In article <18392@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Adam Engst) writes:
>>Has anyone heard anything about the Ehman hard drives?  A friend is interested
>>in getting on and they quote him a price of $579 for a 65 meg drive, which is
>>pretty good.
>>
>>Thanks ...
>>
>>Adam
>
>I haven't gotten around to writing my standard, anti-Ehman diatribe, so
>I'll post this time:
>
>Ehman gives good prices.  You get what you pay for.  They use the
>low-end Seagate stuff, that's unreliable and slow.  Ehman drives are
>good for second base.  (Someone I know says they're good for doorstops,
>but I'm more of a baseball fan than he.)
>
>--- Alex
>UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
>INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

I have experience with Ehman for a little over 6 months now, and I recommend
the company's hard drives to anyone looking for one.  Four of the people I
have made the recommendations to have purchased the drives, and all are
satisfied!

There are a couple of things to know, however:
-Go for the big (65 meg and up) drives.  The little ones aren't quite up to
 par on the price/meg ratio, and are MUCH slower.  But the bigger drives I
 have clocked at up to (down to?) 17ms optimized.  I have found that
 performance often varies drive to drive, but they have been willing to
 exhange the drives without any difficuties.  The support staff at Ehman is
 very friendly and helpful.
-These are Mac-only drives ---  BEWARE!  Not quite standard SCSI (almost)
-It might help with speed to back up all the shareware that comes with the
 drive when you get it and reformat the sucker.  And some non-Ehman
 formatting programs seem to work better in my opinion.

My advice: give it a try.  You have very little to lose.  If you don't like
it, send it back in 30 days, no ?s asked.  And it does come with a 2-year
warrantee, but I haven't had the drive long enough to see how it performs
after the warrantee runs out.

-Josh Akselrod
Josh@pcmath
Josh@pcmath.claremont.edu

*(- These are MY opinions only, but I'm willing to trade... -)*

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (04/22/89)

In article <914@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> vakselro@jarthur.UUCP (Vadim Akselrod) writes:
|In article <23298@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> I write:
|>I haven't gotten around to writing my standard, anti-Ehman diatribe, so
|>I'll post this time:
|>
|>Ehman gives good prices.  You get what you pay for.  They use the
|>low-end Seagate stuff, that's unreliable and slow.  Ehman drives are
|>good for second base.  (Someone I know says they're good for doorstops,
|>but I'm more of a baseball fan than he.)
|>
|>--- Alex
|I have experience with Ehman for a little over 6 months now, and I recommend
|the company's hard drives to anyone looking for one.  Four of the people I
|have made the recommendations to have purchased the drives, and all are
|satisfied!
[stuff deleted -- "How to but an Ehman drive"]
|My advice: give it a try.  You have very little to lose.  If you don't like
|it, send it back in 30 days, no ?s asked.  And it does come with a 2-year
|warrantee, but I haven't had the drive long enough to see how it performs
|after the warrantee runs out.

|-Josh Akselrod

I had a feeling someone was going to do this.

Most people don't ever want to care about warranties or money-back
guarantees.  Most people just want to take their drive home and use it
for ever and ever.  I must say, I'm like that.  I don't want my money
back, I want my drive to work!

Seagate drives are known to have at least a 5-7% failure rate within
the first three months.  That's not including failure after warranty.
That's a HORRIBLE failure rate, and my experience with Seagate drives
leads me to NOT recommend them or any drive manufacturer that uses
Seagate mechanisms.  Companies like Control Data, Miniscribe, Maxtor
and Quantum all have failure rates a TENTH of that, and MUCh higher
MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) ratings.

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/23/89)

In article <23187@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu
(Alexander Lau) writes:
>In article <1597@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>Whatever disk company you buy from, get a quantum. I've come down on Quantums
>>when I was discussing AppleShare servers, but it's the best thing you can
>>get for personal use if $$$ is not absolutely critical. Otherwise, get a
>>Seagate, but ONLY from someone who you TRUST to take returns if drive dies,
>>which it well might in the first few months. Failure rates on the 45MB unit
>>have ranged from 1-4%.
>>
>>MicroNet is one such reliable company, and their prices are very good.
>
>I must disagree with your perception of MicroNet.  Sure, their prices
>are pretty good, but as with many things, you get what you pay for.
>
>People don't get drives to have them fail.  Drives should have a very
>good MTBF and an extremely low failure rate.  A consumer should expect
>to pay for that.  Quantum drives have both, so that's what I recommend.

What are you talking about???

Do you have any particular experience with MicroNet or are you just
philosophizing about QA?

In fact, MicroNet torture-tests all of their seagate drives. *They* are
the ones who usually return the defective units, not their customers. It
is for the occasional drive that fails long after burn-in that you want
their service, which is indeed good. You can also buy Quantum, Conners,
or Maxtor drives from them if you prefer. Or a CDC Swift, if you'd like
a couple hundred MB in your SE...

They also have some excellent tape drives.

---