[comp.sys.mac] IIcx/TPD - FDHD formatting problem

hik@cs.brown.edu (Hisato Kato) (04/22/89)

I have problems with FDHD (Floppy Drive High Density) on my
newly purchased Mac IIcx.

Everytime I format a virgin diskette, an alert message
"The diskette "Untitled" needs minor repair" appears.
Why should a newly formatted diskette need repair?

Another problem: Whenever I format a diskette with Special/
Erase Disk menu and eject it, an alert box comes out with
"This diskette is so full that folder change will not be
recorded," even though the diskette is empty!  Inserting
this diskette will cause the first alert "The diskette
"Untitled" needs minor repair."

Although repaired diskettes seem alright for normal use so
far, I'm very afraid of losing data in later time.

The problems might have something to do with Apple Two-page
monitor because the dealer says there was no formatting
problem with smaller monitors.

Has anybody with large monitors experienced formatting
problems?

	- Hisato Kato

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (04/23/89)

All I can say is, check for viruses.  Specifically, INIT 29.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

hik@cs.brown.edu (Hisato Kato) (04/24/89)

In article <23487@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu
(Alexander Lau) wrote:

> All I can say is, check for viruses.  Specifically, INIT 29.
> --- Alex

about my initail posting:

> Everytime I format a virgin diskette, an alert message
> "The diskette "Untitled" needs minor repair" appears.
> Another problem: Whenever I format a diskette with Special/
> Erase Disk menu and eject it, an alert box comes out with
> "This diskette is so full that folder change will not be
> recorded," even though the diskette is empty!  Inserting
> this diskette will cause the first alert "The diskette
> "Untitled" needs minor repair."
> The problems might have something to do with Apple Two-page
> monitor because the dealer says there was no formatting
> problem with smaller monitors.

Thank you Alex.  But the real problem was not viruses or
Two-Page Display.  The problem is with MacSQZ! 1.51, a file
compression utility for Microsoft Excel 1.5, published by
Symantec.  When I removed the MacSQZ! INIT from my System Folder,
the problem disappeared.

I will report this bug to Symantec.

	Hisato Kato