[comp.sys.mac] Death of MacPaint

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/11/89)

According to the May issue of MacUser, MacPaint is in its last version.
MacPaint's features are to be included in the next version of MacDraw, which
should be announced later this year.  Yogen Dalal, Claris' vice president of
product development, is the person credited with making this statement.

I can see Bill Atkinson cringing at the death of his child...

-Michael Niehaus

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

kweeder@sunny3.che.clarkson.edu (Jim Kweeder) (04/11/89)

In article <6689@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus)
writes:

>According to the May issue of MacUser, MacPaint is in its last version.
>MacPaint's features are to be included in the next version of MacDraw, which
>should be announced later this year.

Just dandy.  Pretty soon, MacDraw will be about as simple and easy to use
as AutoCAD.

Just my opinion,

Jim Kweeder
kweeder@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (04/11/89)

<writes:
<
<<According to the May issue of MacUser, MacPaint is in its last version.
<<MacPaint's features are to be included in the next version of MacDraw, which
<<should be announced later this year.
<
<Just dandy.  Pretty soon, MacDraw will be about as simple and easy to use
<as AutoCAD.

And if we're lucky, the whole shebang should cost less than $1000.

-Sho

roberts@claris.com (Dave Roberts) (04/11/89)

In article <6689@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
> According to the May issue of MacUser, MacPaint is in its last version.
> MacPaint's features are to be included in the next version of MacDraw, which
> should be announced later this year.  Yogen Dalal, Claris' vice president of
> product development, is the person credited with making this statement.

On the contrary, MacPaint is very much alive! The folks from MacUser seem to
have misinterpreted Yogen's remarks at the Claris press conference at MacWorld.
Yogen said that Claris would eventually include bitmap technology in future
versions of MacDraw, but didn't specify when.  While some may assume this is
the demise of MacPaint, it certainly isn't true.  Claris sees the need for
an entry-level bitmap graphics program continuing.

David Roberts                   ||     claris!roberts@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Claris Corporation              ||     AppleLink:  Roberts7

rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) (04/12/89)

    Did anyone cry over the death of the Mac 128K?

    Rob Johnston.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (04/13/89)

<writes:
<
<>According to the May issue of MacUser, MacPaint is in its last version.
<>MacPaint's features are to be included in the next version of MacDraw, which
<>should be announced later this year.
<
<Just dandy.  Pretty soon, MacDraw will be about as simple and easy to use
<as AutoCAD.
<
<Just my opinion,

or Canvas

Shirley Kehr

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (04/25/89)

I just talked to some Claris reps at a seminar at UCLA the other day, and
they were foaming at the mouth (justifiably) at MacAbuser. They told me ther
are absolutely NO plans to stop the distribution of MacPaint, that the write
misinterpreted what he was told. They mentioned that there was some talk of
legal action against MacAbuser for lost sales revenue. Just thought y'all
might like to know.