[comp.sys.mac] Colored files

dierks@ndmath.UUCP (Tim Dierks) (04/21/89)

From article <384@lloyd.camex.uucp>, by kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg):
>Anybody know how a program might find out the color of a file?

The color of a file is contained in three bits of the Finder info fdFlags
field.  (Where the number [0-7] corresponds to which menu item in the Color
menu the color corresponds to).  Sorry, but I can't remember which 3.

Also, you can change the colors in the menu (and therefore of the files)
with Layout 1.6.

Tim Dierks
dierks@darwin.cc.nd.edu

vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei) (04/25/89)

In article <384@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
 >You know how files can be colored in the Finder (when on a color
 >machine)?  Well, I've done some playing with this, trying to use it to
 >categorize files (this one has been checked, this one works, this one
 >is missing something, etc.).  Sound like a good idea?

 >The problem is that the files are only colored in the Finder.  Hey
 >Apple: How about adding color to the file names in the standard file
 >dialogs too?

Actually, the thing that would be the coolest since you're trying to
catagorize things with color is for any file created by an application
to be the same color as the creating application's icon.  Its very annoying
to have to go back and color a word processing document green everytime
I write a new paper.

Todd
vogelei@nmtsun