[comp.sys.mac] CLARIS moving to the NeXT or spying for Apple?

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/05/89)

A magazine article I read recently stated that a developers group from
CLARIS attended a NeXT-sponsored development seminar a couple of months
ago.

If this is true, what is the reasoning for it?  Is CLARIS showing that
it is truly independent of Apple?  I can see it now:  MacWrite for the NeXT;
MacWrite for Windows; MacWrite for the Sun :-).

I think that this is an area where the parent company would really crack
down...

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (04/05/89)

From by mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus):
> A magazine article I read recently stated that a developers group from
> CLARIS attended a NeXT-sponsored development seminar a couple of months
> ago.
>
> If this is true, what is the reasoning for it?  Is CLARIS showing that
> it is truly independent of Apple?  I can see it now:  MacWrite for the NeXT;
> MacWrite for Windows; MacWrite for the Sun :-).
>
> I think that this is an area where the parent company would really crack
> down...
>
> -Michael

Obviously, I can't comment on this in any official capacity, nor reveal
any sordid details.  As such, this post has almost no real content.

Claris is currently contractually obligated not to relase software for any
non-Apple machines for some period of time after its inception or until it
goes public or something like that.  But eventually, we hope to go public.

Claris is "investigating the development possibilities of alternative
platforms" or something like that.  As far as I know, there is no active
development on anything except Macs and Apple II's.  But there's a good
chance we'll be developing for other machines once the contractual obligations
wear off and we are no longer owned by Apple.

We're not completely independent yet, but we will be someday.... :-)

--
Jeff Erickson     \  Internet: krazy@claris.com          AppleLink: Erickson4
Claris Corporation \      UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!krazy

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (04/21/89)

In article <6519@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas
Niehaus) writes:

->A magazine article I read recently stated that a developers group from
->CLARIS attended a NeXT-sponsored development seminar a couple of months
->ago.
->
->If this is true, what is the reasoning for it?  Is CLARIS showing that
->it is truly independent of Apple?  I can see it now:  MacWrite for the NeXT;
->MacWrite for Windows; MacWrite for the Sun :-).
->
->I think that this is an area where the parent company would really crack
->down...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple has no ties to claris anymore, and Claris
OWNS MacWrite, MacDraw, MacPaint, ClarisCAD, etc.... So Apple would have no
grounds to sue...

(Besides, they'll probably call them NeXTWrite, NeXTPaint,... :^) )

FTWILSON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Frederick Todd Wilson) (04/25/89)

In article <1995@wpi.wpi.edu>, tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>->I think that this is an area where the parent company would really crack
>->down...
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple has no ties to claris anymore, and Claris
>OWNS MacWrite, MacDraw, MacPaint, ClarisCAD, etc.... So Apple would have no
>grounds to sue...
>
>(Besides, they'll probably call them NeXTWrite, NeXTPaint,... :^) )

I'm far from certain on this, but I've got the impression that the
"subsidiary-ship" period of Claris is not over yet. I think that Michael's
got it right.

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (04/25/89)

From article <1995@wpi.wpi.edu>, by tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer):
> In article <6519@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas
> Niehaus) writes:
> -> [stuff about Claris and NeXT]
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple has no ties to claris anymore, and Claris
> OWNS MacWrite, MacDraw, MacPaint, ClarisCAD, etc.... So Apple would have no
> grounds to sue...
>
> (Besides, they'll probably call them NeXTWrite, NeXTPaint,... :^) )

Claris is still >80% owned by Apple.  Any and all major policy (read MONEY)
decisions still have to be approved by the Apple board of directors.  This
will be true until Apple releases 50.001% of the stock to the world.  In
other words, they own us until we "go public".  So they don't have to sue
us.  They can just say "No", and that's the end of it.

Claris is contractually obligated not to release software for non-Apple
machines for some period of time.  I don't know if this means that we can't
start writing for other machines or not, but as far as I know, we aren't.
And that "period of time" probably coincides with "going public".

[personal opinion follows]  Claris will most likely start developing for
other platforms AFTER we go public.  Too much money is out there for us not
too, and (IMHO) we're too good not to be able to get some of it.  Obviously,
NeXT has a really high potential.  Therefore, it's in our best interest to
look into NeXT now, even if we can't do anything with it yet.

If we're developing for the NeXT now, I really wish someone would tell ME.
:-)

We'll probably call them "The NeXT version of MacWrite", "The NeXT version
of MacDraw", "The NeXT version of Claris CAD"..... ;-)

--
Jeff Erickson       Claris Corporation  | Birdie, birdie, in the sky,
408/987-7309      Applelink: Erickson4  |   Why'd you do that in my eye?