[comp.sys.mac] Mac 512 upgrade with a 800k diskdrive

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/25/89)

In article <7934@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, hcfu@taiwan.Princeton.EDU (Hsin Chia Fu) writes:
> I have a very old Mac128k, and I upgraded it to 512k by adding some RAM chips.
> Recently, I plan to add an Cutting Edge 800k drive to my system.

Well, I'm sure that all of the Apple II folks here may be offended by your
mention of a Mac...  They are a loyal bunch here.

> I would like to know what else should I need to do besides just buying a
> diskdrive.
>
> For example, some one told me the ROM chips (which is 64k), need
> to be changed to 128k in order to include the 800k drive.

They are right: you need to upgrade to the newer ROMs in order to use the
800k disk drive.

> I can program my own EPROM.   Would some send a version of 128k ROM binary for
> this upgrade.

NO!  Sorry, but this is against the law.  That would fall into the same category
as duplicating a Nintendo cartridge.  You are forced to buy the 128k ROMs from
an authorized Apple dealer.  There may also be other items included in the
upgrade kit that are necessary; I am not sure, so I have included the comp.sys.
mac group in the follow-up to this article.  Someone there would know for sure.

> my E-mail address is HCFU@ivy.princeton.edu,or 609-452-5410 (phone).

Sometimes I wish that it would be just that easy: insert a new ROM chip that
you picked up from your next-door neighbor, and you're off and running.  But,
alas, it isn't that easy...

-Michael Niehaus

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

dlugose@ecsvax.UUCP (Dan Dlugose) (04/25/89)

In article <7934@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, hcfu@taiwan.Princeton.EDU (Hsin Chia F:
> I have a very old Mac128k, and I upgraded it to 512k by adding some RAM chips.
> Recently, I plan to add an Cutting Edge 800k drive to my system.

> For example, some one told me the ROM chips (which is 64k), need
> to be changed to 128k in order to include the 800k drive.

They are right: you need to upgrade to the newer ROMs in order to use the
800k disk drive.

WRONG!  A 512 unenhanced can use a 800k drive if it has the file HD20
in its System Folder.  Look for this file on old system floppies, esp.
for releases of software.  I use a 512 "Fat Mac" at home; at work I
use a Mac II.  A 512 is useful for learning how to keep things simple,
and sometimes even faster.

Dan Dlugose