[comp.sys.mac] Price Lists, Rumors

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/20/89)

In article <23349@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
> >1.  There will be a System 6.0.4 (at least that is the number that I heard)
> >    that will include one of the features that was wanted for System 7.0.
> System 6.0.4, my rumor source says, is for the upcoming 25 MHz Macs that
> will be announced at the Fall MacWorld.  The feature that Michael
> mentions is probably the new QuickDraw outline font capability.  It is
> running far behind schedule; just turned alpha, and crashes often.  My
> source says that Apple is so desperate to get 6.0.4 out, they've pulled
> people from the System 7.0 project to work on 6.0.4.  Which leads to...

Hmm...  That's not the feature that I heard about (although that could be
another lesser feature :-)...

> >2.  System 7.0 will be out near the end of the year; it will be officially
> >    announced at the Fall MacWorld.
> A "features list" will be available at the Boston MacWorld, but I doubt
> anything beyond a carefully guarded alpha release will be shown.

Apparently, the team working on System 7.0 is having to go to great pains to
ensure compatibility with earlier Macs, causing the development to be very
slow...  There is also a scary rumor about ROM upgrades...

> >3.  The Macintosh portable is moving along at a good pace, but probably will
> >    not be announced until late in the year.  The features of this machine
> I don't know what you're expecting, but I hear it's not coming out for
> quite a while.  Apple's main attention will be focused on getting the
> 25 MHz machines out the door by the August MacWorld, but they don't
> even expect to make that deadline.

The portable is being demonstrated to the "elites" now from what I hear.
The optomistic shipping predictions are giving an early December shipping date
(although I don't know if that will be realistic).  In this week's Computer-
World, they listed the price at $3000, which I think is wishful thinking...
They also said that the portable will weigh in at about 16 pounds (I heard
15, but that extra pound might be the internal 40MB hard disk :-).

> ...Cheapest ever.  Rumor is that Apple is
> trying to clear its stockpiles of Mac Plusses, and they'll drop the
> consumer list price of it Real Soon Now.

From what ComputerWorld said this week, Apple is clearing inventories on both
the Mac Plus and the Mac II (in order to ramp up production on the IIcx,
apparently).  In this case, I really doubt their accuracy (what do they know
about Macs anyway :-).

> --- Alex

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (04/20/89)

In article <23349@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:

>System 6.0.4, my rumor source says, is for the upcoming 25 MHz Macs that
>will be announced at the Fall MacWorld.  The feature that Michael
>mentions is probably the new QuickDraw outline font capability.  It is
>running far behind schedule; just turned alpha, and crashes often.

Wow.  Sounds cool.  But they *are* keeping bitmap fonts around too, right?
I'd hate to see what an outline generated 9 point font would look like.
Still, I definitely think this is the way to go for large fonts, and it
should be helpful for those who have the Imagewriter LQ or the
Laserwriter SC.  Not to mention that the screen images of headline
type text will look nice.  Hopefully, outline fonts means text at arbitrary
rotation....

-Sho

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/21/89)

> In article <6842@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> I write:
>Well, here are the latest rumors that I have heard:

Today I received a letter from an Apple employee commenting about this
posting.  He expressed displeasure with the content of my posting, and reminded
me that I am under a non-disclosure contract with Apple.  Just to prove to him
that I have read it, here are the major points:

1.  CONSULTANT shall not...divulge to any unauthorized person any information
    designated as confidential by Apple.
2.  The restrictions shall not apply to information which (a) is known to
    CONSULTANT at the time of disclosure to CONSULTANT by APPLE, (b) has become
    publicly known through no wrongful act of CONSULTANT, (c) has been right-
    fully received from a third party without restriction on disclosure and
    without breach of the Agreement, (d) has been independently developed by
    CONSULTANT, (e) has been approved for release by written authorization of
    APPLE, (f) has been furnished by APPLE to a third party without a similar
    restriction on disclosure, or (g) has been disclosed pursuant to a
    requirement of law.

Most all rumors that I have heard have come from one of several trade publica-
tions, including ComputerWorld, MacWEEK, Macworld, MacUser, various user's
group newsletters, and correspondence on the Usenet with other non-Apple
employees.  This type of information falls under categories (b) and (c)
generally.

Let me apologize if I released anything that may hold to be true in the future.
In the future, I will go out of my way to credit sources of my information,
so if you don't want your name associated with the information, don't even
bother sending it to me.

Just to prove that I intend on continuing to provide reports to the network, the
message following this will include some more...

-Michael "I can never win" Niehaus

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com)

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/21/89)

> System 6.0.4, my rumor source says, is for the upcoming 25 MHz Macs that
> will be announced at the Fall MacWorld.  The feature that Michael
> mentions is probably the new QuickDraw outline font capability...

This week's MacWEEK talks about the outline font feature, but does not
say what version of the system software this would be released with.
It is possible that it could be postponed...

> The new price list is here already at Berkeley, and the price for a
> Mac Plus is $917 plus tax.  Cheapest ever.  Rumor is that Apple is
> trying to clear its stockpiles of Mac Plusses, and they'll drop the
> consumer list price of it Real Soon Now.

ComputerWorld holds this same view for both the Mac Plus and the Mac II.
They believe that on one will buy a Plus because it is not expandable/
upgradable.  They believe that no one will buy an 020 machine with the risk
of Apple standardizing on the 030.

> I wish Berkeley's Apple Student Rep was as "on the ball" as you... :-)

"On the Ball" -- Would you be suprised if I told you that this was the name
of our clothing annex to our university bookstore?  They sell large quantities
of "Ball U" clothing...

> --- Alex

Some other interesting information from this week's MacWEEK:  June 7 is slated
as a "networking/connectivity" day for announcements.  Those products
scheduled to be introduced are: AppleTalk 2.0, a Token Ring card, and Apple's
internet router for AppleTalk networks.

AppleTalk 2.0 is supposed to support up to 65,034 (or some strange number like
that) nodes by the use of logical zones.  Apple's Token Ring card will be
playing "catch-up" to IBM's new, faster TR offering.  Apple is seriously
considering building the Ethernet ciruitry into the motherboard of upcoming
machines.

Security at one of Apple's development centers has recently been increased.
The rumors say that the theft of one of Apple's prototypes for an upcoming
model of the Macintosh is the cause.

MacWEEK also claimed that work on the new 25MHz and 33Mhz versions of the
Mac IIx has progressed faster than expected, with working prototypes already
in existence.

[Disclaimer: none of this information is received from Apple.  Most is
 from MacWEEK except where noted (or obvious).]

-Michael

--

russotto@wam.UMD.EDU (04/21/89)

In article <6878@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>> In article <6842@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> I write:
>>Well, here are the latest rumors that I have heard:
>
>Today I received a letter from an Apple employee commenting about this
>posting.  He expressed displeasure with the content of my posting, and reminded
>me that I am under a non-disclosure contract with Apple.  Just to prove to him
>that I have read it, here are the major points:

[deleted]

>--
>Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
>Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
>Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com)

Keep telling us when they complain-- then we will know when you (or
your sources) hit the mark!

--
DISCLAIMER:  Not only does the University not share my opinions,
	     they don't want me sharing my opinions.

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (04/22/89)

In article <6878@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>> In article <6842@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> I write:
>>Well, here are the latest rumors that I have heard:
>
>Today I received a letter from an Apple employee commenting about this
>posting.  He expressed displeasure with the content of my posting, and reminded
>me that I am under a non-disclosure contract with Apple.  Just to prove to him
>that I have read it, here are the major points:
>
>1.  CONSULTANT shall not...divulge to any unauthorized person any information
>    designated as confidential by Apple.
>2.  The restrictions shall not apply to information which (a) is known to
>    CONSULTANT at the time of disclosure to CONSULTANT by APPLE, (b) has become
>    publicly known through no wrongful act of CONSULTANT, (c) has been right-

>Most all rumors that I have heard have come from one of several trade publica-
>tions, including ComputerWorld, MacWEEK, Macworld, MacUser, various user's
>group newsletters, and correspondence on the Usenet with other non-Apple
>employees.  This type of information falls under categories (b) and (c)
>generally.

I don't know all the details here, so this may not be totally
appropriate.  In general you need to be careful discussing
confidential or proprietary information even if it is discussed in
public.  If it appears in an unofficial discussion or article (such as
a rumors column), it is not yet "public information" as in 2.b.  If
you discuss this information after appearing in a rumors column, then
you are endorsing it, making it an official announcement.  Before it
qualifies as public information, there must be an official public
release.

I've know cases where confidential information appeared in sources
such as Aviation Week.  But, the information remained confidential!
It's an uncomfortable feeling when everyone else can discuss something
that you know about, but you need to be quiet because it's
"confidential".

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (04/22/89)

In article <2160@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:

(stuff deleted)
>Wow.  Sounds cool.  But they *are* keeping bitmap fonts around too, right?
>I'd hate to see what an outline generated 9 point font would look like.
(more stuff deleted)

An outline generated 9 point font could certainly look pretty bad on a
72-dpi monitor.  Suppose you display it on a monitor at, say, 100 dpi,
though, and decent contrast and resolution?

Apple needs to address a lot of the 72-dpi limitations of QuickDraw
if they're to take advantage of higher-res graphic display monitors
and achieve true device independence (as PostScript is capable of
doing).  Obviously this would be a very high-priority item on the
future features checklist...

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/22/89)

Well, the jury has returned a verdict, and I have been found guilty as charged.

I hereby yield to those who have been burying me in mail for the past two
days:  I will no longer spread any more rumors about Apple.  So please, stop
sending messages.  You win; I give up.

I will not spread rumors, I will not spread rumors, I will not spread rumors...

-Michael

p.s.  For my penance, I will watch 24 hours of John Sculley videotapes :-)
      [And if it matters, yes, I am Catholic.]

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com)

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/22/89)

In article <23442@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes...
[...]
>Apple needs to address a lot of the 72-dpi limitations of QuickDraw
>if they're to take advantage of higher-res graphic display monitors
>and achieve true device independence (as PostScript is capable of
>doing).  Obviously this would be a very high-priority item on the
>future features checklist...

Well, I don't know how high a priority it is (but I, too, _hope_ it's a high
one), but Apple is working on a QuickDraw replacement, which -- from all I've
heard -- will be device-independent.  Basically that's supposed to be the
reason they didn't go with Display PostScript.  It's supposedly called "NuGraf"
or something like that.

I hope to see it soon. :->

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) (04/22/89)

In article <75461@ti-csl.csc.ti.com>, holland@m2 (Fred Hollander) writes:
|In article <6878@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
|>> In article <6842@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> I write:
|>>Well, here are the latest rumors that I have heard:
|>
|>Today I received a letter from an Apple employee commenting about this
|>posting.  He expressed displeasure with the content of my posting, and reminded
|>me that I am under a non-disclosure contract with Apple.  Just to prove to him
|>that I have read it, here are the major points:
|>
|>1.  CONSULTANT shall not...divulge to any unauthorized person any information
|>    designated as confidential by Apple.
|>2.  The restrictions shall not apply to information which (a) is known to
|>    CONSULTANT at the time of disclosure to CONSULTANT by APPLE, (b) has become
|>    publicly known through no wrongful act of CONSULTANT, (c) has been right-
|
|>Most all rumors that I have heard have come from one of several trade publica-
|>tions, including ComputerWorld, MacWEEK, Macworld, MacUser, various user's
|>group newsletters, and correspondence on the Usenet with other non-Apple
|>employees.  This type of information falls under categories (b) and (c)
|>generally.
|>

|I don't know all the details here, so this may not be totally
|appropriate.  In general you need to be careful discussing
|confidential or proprietary information even if it is discussed in
|public.  If it appears in an unofficial discussion or article (such as
|a rumors column), it is not yet "public information" as in 2.b.  If
|you discuss this information after appearing in a rumors column, then
|you are endorsing it, making it an official announcement.  Before it
|qualifies as public information, there must be an official public
|release.
|
|I've know cases where confidential information appeared in sources
|such as Aviation Week.  But, the information remained confidential!
|It's an uncomfortable feeling when everyone else can discuss something
|that you know about, but you need to be quiet because it's
|"confidential".

|Fred Hollander
|Computer Science Center
|Texas Instruments, Inc.
|hollander@ti.com
|
|The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

There is an old tenent in business: "Don't sign a contract with
someone you can't trust."  This is because NO contract is completely
clear in all cases, so you must TRUST that the other party will do
what is fair in unclear or ambiguous situations.  Unfortunately, most
of us do not deal with people (which can be trusted or not), but must
deal with companies (which change personnel and policies so much that
they cannot be trusted).  So when you sign a non-disclosure agreement
try to make personal contact with a human and agree with them to be
TRUSTWORTHY.  If some time in the future, someone else jumps in to say
that you have violated the agreement and you feel that you have not
violated the original agreement, tell them you are sorry that they
feel that way.  Inform them that you did not enter into an agreement
with them, but with someone else and that they should discuss it with
the original signer.  I usually leave open the door to further
discussions, but it usually isn't worth the time to talk with people
like that (particularly public relations people), unless they wish to
PAY for your time or are going to sue.

These are my opionions based upon my experiences as a consultant and
engineer: no disclaimer is necessary.  I'm a person, not a company,
you can trust me or not.

P.S. "Confidential" is a governement security level and represents a
totally new ballgame (They WILL get you.). "Company Private" is the
correct term. Any information that should be controlled, needs to
be marked as such (usually with a stamp); otherwise it is open to
judgement as to the sensitivity of the information.

John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714
Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (04/23/89)

In article <6892@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>I hereby yield to those who have been burying me in mail for the past two
>days:  I will no longer spread any more rumors about Apple.  So please, stop
>sending messages.  You win; I give up.

Depends on where you get your info, I guess.  If there's no legal deal,
I don't see why anyone on the net shouldn't talk about rumors, as long
as they are clearly labeled as such.  I, for one, enjoy seeing rumors
on the net.  Is there any good reason why he shouldn't post?  I'm only
asking this for the sake of personal enlightenment.  For all I know, there
might actually be a good reason.

So, if worst comes to worst, maybe you can spread these rumors to other
people on the net to post.  Or maybe we could start a mac rumors list....

Uh.

-Sho

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (04/24/89)

I doubt if the net is the best place to initiate rumors. Since the
best rumors come from people in the know, and the people who let them know
might not like them letting the public in on information which would
benefit the public (as opposed to keeping the public in the dark, which seems
be the desire of large companies), the in-people should send anonymous
messages to various magazines that publish rumor columns, and are
likely to be able to keep their mouths shut.

rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (04/25/89)

In article <46100297@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> be the desire of large companies), the in-people should send anonymous
> messages to various magazines that publish rumor columns, and are
> likely to be able to keep their mouths shut.

 The problem with this is that the lead times on magazine publishing
 is so great that by the time they come out, the rumors have either
 been disproven or become old news.  The BEST place I've seen to pick
 up on stuff is in MacWeek...

 For example, I am very interested in the fast cpu Mac IIcx. Variously,
 I've heard this called the IIcxe or the IIce.  At any rate, if the
 68030 in it really runs at 25 or 33 Mhz, does this imply that it will
 have 80 ns memory?  Or will it just do a bunch of cacheing?  If it
 requires memory that fast, it will probably be out of our budget
 bounds...

   - Bob Wier                                College of Engineering
  Flagstaff, Arizona                      Northern Arizona University
  ...arizona!naucse!rrw |  BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | *usual disclaimers*

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (04/25/89)

In article <1371@naucse.UUCP> rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:
>In article <46100297@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>> be the desire of large companies), the in-people should send anonymous
>> messages to various magazines that publish rumor columns, and are
>> likely to be able to keep their mouths shut.
>
> The problem with this is that the lead times on magazine publishing
> is so great that by the time they come out, the rumors have either
> been disproven or become old news.  The BEST place I've seen to pick
> up on stuff is in MacWeek...

I just got my first issue of MacGuide yesterday.  It has a *sneak preview*
of the Mac IIcx!

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (04/25/89)

In article <46100297@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

<I doubt if the net is the best place to initiate rumors. Since the
<best rumors come from people in the know, and the people who let them know
<might not like them letting the public in on information which would
<benefit the public (as opposed to keeping the public in the dark, which seems
<be the desire of large companies), the in-people should send anonymous
<messages to various magazines that publish rumor columns, and are
<likely to be able to keep their mouths shut.

If netters at large are not morally opposed to such rumor colums in
magazines (a big if, I'll grant you) would it be feasible to have a
rumor moderator to send stuff to who vows to keep stuff strictly
confidential?  I suppose there would be a problem if the moderator
can't be trusted, since he would know where the original articles came
from, but maybe that could also be avoided.  Is there a way to set up
an FTP server which allows you to write to a specific directory?  Just
a thought.

-Sho