[comp.sys.mac] A free HP DeskJet driver

s29749s@saha.hut.fi (Olli Johannes Arnberg) (04/22/89)

We have made a Macintosh printer driver for the Hewlett-Packard DeskJet.

The driver can use the DeskJet's great 300 dpi graphics. It makes the
DeskJet a QuickDraw printer, with features and print quality
resembling those of the LaserWriter IISC.  For faster output lower
resolutions (75, 100 or 150 dpi) can be selected.  Program listings
and other text-only documents can be printed with the draft option,
which uses normal text printing (120 cps).

Our driver implements the standard Macintosh printer interface.  Those
programs that are cleanly written work well.  Programs that do things
their own way may cause problems (includes everything from Microsoft
and some other stubborn PC lookalike programs from various Boring
software companies).

These is another program for printing the manuals: BatchPrint.  You
can make a spool file with our printer driver and print it with any
printer you choose afterwards.  That means you don't have to have the
original program.

Programs we have tested (and work with expected results):
MacDraw, MacDraw II, MacWrite, MacProject, MacProject II, WriteNow,
FullWrite Professional, Lightspeed C, PageMaker 3.0, SuperPaint,
CricketGraph, CricketDraw, Canvas, ReadySetGo 4.0, WordPerfect,
FzzPlot, PCB Design, Expressionist, Stella, More, Professional
Composer, etc.

Programs, that have some problems (usually they can do at least some
kind of printing):
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word 3.0, MacPaint 1.5, PageMaker 2.x,
Aldus FreeHand, Adobe Illustrator, ImageStudio, MPW, MathWriter,
FullPaint, FileMaker
See our manual for further details how to print with these.

Programs, that do not work:
HyperCard, Turbo Pascal

The driver itself, accompanied by sources and an extensive manual, is
available via anonymous ftp from kampi.hut.fi (internet: 128.214.3.9).
The directory is "/pub/HPDJ".  The whole package will also be posted
to comp.binaries.mac (binaries only) and comp.sources.mac (sources
only).

The sizes are (approximately):
  The Driver             42 kB
  The Manual (spooled)  244 kB
             (original) 191 kB
  The Sources           184 kB

  BatchPrint             29 kB
  The Manual (spooled)  127 kB
             (original)  94 kB
  The Sources            71 kB

These sizes are non-compresssed.  Compressing made them a little bit
smaller.  We arranged them to eight files.  Driver/Application
contains the actual thing (and its copyright notice).  Sources contain
the obvious thing.  Manuals come in two different versions: if you have
WriteNow, take the "normal" manual; otherwise the SpooledManual.

   BatchPrintApplication.Hqx       HPDJDriver.Hqx
   BatchPrintManual.Hqx            HPDJManual.Hqx
   BatchPrintSources.Hqx           HPDJSources.Hqx
   BatchPrintSpooledManual.Hqx     HPDJSpooledManual.Hqx

Have fun,

Ari Mujunen                   Olli Arnberg
s29851c@taltta.hut.fi         s29749s@saha.hut.fi

Bug raports to:
hpdj-bugs@hut.fi

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (04/24/89)

> We have made a Macintosh printer driver for the Hewlett-Packard DeskJet.

	thanks, Olli, for making this wonderful package available;
	(I call it wonderful without having tried - simply because the
	 concept of making such a complete package available is ourstanding)

> available via anonymous ftp from kampi.hut.fi

	there is a problem with making such an announcement:  it will
	result in many repeated trans-Atlantic transfers of the files.

	a better idea would have been to announce that you have it and
	offer to make it available to someone "over here" for redistri-
	bution (you are welcome to contact me or any of the other
	archive maintainers directly by email anytime, of course).

	as it stands and to avoid further duplication of transfers,
	I am in the process of grabbing the files from KAMPI (just about
	done) and will have them available for FTP on RASCAL and will
	put them over to SIMTEL20 and SUMEX and mail them to Roger Long
	(moderator comp.sources/binaries.mac) if they don't have them
	already.

	I'd recommend that you then rename/hide the files for a few days
	to let people catch up to this article and make it impossible for
	people to start a transfer immediately after reading yours.

			Cheers,		---Werner

PS:  US-campers, check out RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU, directory "mac/NEW-in-8904"
	for the files from Finland.

--
      ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESS FOLLOWS   <--------------

  (ARPA)    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
  (UUCP)    ..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (04/25/89)

In article <3829@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>> We have made a Macintosh printer driver for the Hewlett-Packard DeskJet.
>
>	thanks, Olli, for making this wonderful package available;
>	(I call it wonderful without having tried - simply because the
>	 concept of making such a complete package available is ourstanding)
>
>> available via anonymous ftp from kampi.hut.fi
>
>	there is a problem with making such an announcement:  it will
>	result in many repeated trans-Atlantic transfers of the files.

Well, I did the FTP as soon as I saw the original announcement, not realizing
it was transatlantic (gotta keep a better eye on those domain names) and I
agree, it is a bad idea to let these go overboard.  Now to the software:

I spent 1/2 an hour downloading it (locally, not the ftp) and 4 hours printing
the 70 page manual on my deskjet (using my existing grappler driver).  I should
have waited.  It seems to be extremely buggy, at least on my Mac II (the manual
mentions it was tested on a plus, a 512 i think, and a macified atari, but
nothing with 128k ROMS).  It bombed as soon as I tried to print a catalog
from the finder.  I was able to get it printing from other apps, but suddenly
after a few printouts, it kept printing in 75 dpi (or 100 i forget) no matter
what I selected in the print dialog.

Basically, I applaud the concept, and I hope Olli et al can get it working,
but for now its back in my inactive file.

Josh

PS:  I forgot to mention, the application that prints the spooled documents
	(such as the manual) seems unable to deal with page subranges that
	do not begin with 1.  It crunches for a while and then returns without
	doing anything.  Again, a great idea, but to many problems.

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

s29749s@saha.hut.fi (Olli Johannes Arnberg) (04/26/89)

In article <10308@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh
Hodas) writes:
>I spent 1/2 an hour downloading it (locally, not the ftp) and 4 hours printing
>the 70 page manual on my deskjet (using my existing grappler driver).
>I should have waited.  It seems to be extremely buggy,

Would we dare to suggest: not notably more buggy than many other free
software packages, some of which do not come with source code to allow
you to verify and fix the bug in case you would be willing to do so.

>                                                       at least on my
>Mac II (the manual mentions it was tested on a plus, a 512 i think,
>and a macified atari, but nothing with 128k ROMS).

Actually, both the Plus and the 512KE we used have (of course) 128K
ROMs.  Mr. Jari Asikainen (who owns the 512KE with Dove 2MB+SCSI) has
been testing the HPDJ driver since December 1988.  A local Mac & HP
DeskJet dealer has been using HPDJ with a Mac II since 4th of April
1989 for demonstration purposes.  Neither of them have reported any
problems appearing to be this serious.

>It bombed as soon as I tried to print a catalog from the finder.

With which id did it bomb?  Were you using AppleTalk?  AppleShare?
Did you reboot after removing Grappler from your system folder and
changing the HPDJ Chooser settings not to conflict with possible
AppleTalk (as instructed in the manual, in section 3.4, Settings)
before trying to print the first time?  A more detailed bug report
would be much appreciated. With your minimal description, we were
unable to reproduce the bug.  (Please see section 5.2 of the manual,
Reporting Bugs for detailed instructions for as how to report a
problem with HPDJ.)  We have certainly printed literally hundreds of
pages from the Finder (versions 4.1, 6.0, and 6.1) using both 64K and
128K ROMs.

>I was able to get it printing from other apps,

From applications not mentioned in our list of (apparently) working
applications?  We would be interested to hear.  It would be nice if
you could mail this information together a more detailed bug report to
the mail alias "hpdj-bugs@hut.fi".

>                                               but suddenly after a
>few printouts, it kept printing in 75 dpi (or 100 i forget) no matter
>what I selected in the print dialog.

Which application were you using?  Which version?  Most notably, MS
Word 3.0x and Pagemaker 2.x are known to use print records in bizarre
ways, forcing themselves to 100 dpi printout with HPDJ.

Perhaps this is a bug peculiar to the Mac II only.  On the other hand,
this behavior has never appeared with Atari+Aladin, Mac 512KE, Mac
Plus, or Mac SE.  Please report the situation more carefully so we can
try to reproduce the bug.

>                                      Basically, I applaud the
>concept, and I hope Olli et al can get it working, but for now its
>back in my inactive file.
>
>Josh

Thank you for encouragement.

>PS:  I forgot to mention, the application that prints the spooled documents
>     (such as the manual) seems unable to deal with page subranges that
>     do not begin with 1.  It crunches for a while and then returns without
>     doing anything.  Again, a great idea, but to many problems.

This is an actual bug; thank you for reporting it.  In the process of
adding printing a specified number of pages as described in Inside
Macintosh II-156, we added the code found there scrupulously without
realizing that it must be done before the call "PrOpenDoc".  We hope
that this bug won't prevent you from using the program the current
version 0.0 of the BatchPrint application was mainly intended to allow
printing the manuals.  The bug will be corrected in the next release
of BatchPrint.  Those who want to fix it by themselves: in function
"fOurPrintWindow", move the lines between a call to "PrOpenDoc" and a
"FOR" statement before the "PROPenDoc" call.

 Olli Arnberg (s29749s@saha.hut.fi), Ari Mujunen (s29851c@taltta.hut.fi)