[comp.sys.mac] joining comp.mac.binaries parts

fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer, Dept. of Computer Science, TCD, Dublin 2, IRELAND) (04/10/89)

Is there a utility around which will join BinHexed files which have
been split for mailing (as in comp.binaries.mac, for example)?

Frank O'Dwyer,
Dept. Of Computer Science,
Trinity College Dublin,
IRELAND.

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (04/13/89)

In article <42011@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie> fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer, Dept. of Computer Science, TCD, Dublin 2, IRELAND) writes:
>Is there a utility around which will join BinHexed files which have
>been split for mailing (as in comp.binaries.mac, for example)?

  The source to 'bhcomb', a unix-based BinHex file joiner, was posted to
comp.binaries (or was it comp.sources?) a while back. I've converted it
to an MPW tool, and it works like a charm. I'll post it to c.b.mac.

  Someone else was asking about an MPW-based 'unbinhex' or 'unstuffit'...
those *would* be nice, but I don't think they exist, yet. (Do they?)

-ken

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

jeff@softop.UUCP (Jeff) (04/14/89)

In article <22045@dhw68k.cts.com>, thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
> In article <42011@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie> fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer, Dept. of Computer Science, TCD, Dublin 2, IRELAND) writes:
> >Is there a utility around which will join BinHexed files which have
> >been split for mailing (as in comp.binaries.mac, for example)?

I dont get it.  The things came from unix in the first place, and
unix has this neat tool (I no its too sophisticated for the Mac :-) )
called cat.

Just edit and cat the bits BEFORE => the Mac, and the problem goes away.

In all seriousness, this is another example of the deficiency of the Mac
approach for non application tasks.  You DO need a command line and simple
tools every now and again

  | Jeff Tate              |     2425 Pandora Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada  |
  | van-bc!softop!jeff     |                                 (604) 254-4583  |

ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) (04/15/89)

From article <42011@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie>, by fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer, Dept. of Computer Science, TCD, Dublin 2, IRELAND):
> Is there a utility around which will join BinHexed files which have
> been split for mailing (as in comp.binaries.mac, for example)?
>
> Frank O'Dwyer,
> Dept. Of Computer Science,
> Trinity College Dublin,
> IRELAND.

I use the following shell script (really just a wrapping for a csplit
command):

	for file
	do	csplit -s -k -f xyzzy $file '%^---%'+1 '/^---/'
		cat xyzzy00
	done
	rm -f xyzzy??

I call this 'macMerge' and invoke it with
	macMerge a.1 a.2 ... a.n > a.x
and then use xbin or download the .x.

=Ned Horvath=

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (04/21/89)

In article <110@softop.UUCP> jeff@softop.UUCP (Jeff) writes:
>In article <22045@dhw68k.cts.com>, thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>> In article <42011@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie> fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer, Dept. of Computer Science, TCD, Dublin 2, IRELAND) writes:
>> >Is there a utility around which will join BinHexed files which have
>> >been split for mailing (as in comp.binaries.mac, for example)?
>>
>I dont get it.  The things came from unix in the first place, and
>unix has this neat tool (I no its too sophisticated for the Mac :-) )
>called cat.

  It's easy enough to catenate files together; the problem is in removing
file headers, extraneous lines like "-- End of part 23 --", etc. so BinHex
won't choke. This processing can be done on the un*x box prior to transfer,
or on the Mac afterwards; there isn't necessarily One Right Way. My host
system is often short on user disk storage, so I have more "breathing room"
once the files are transferred to my Mac. Naturally, you need "neat tools"
for file processing; I find that MPW does the trick quite nicely.

--
==========     .......     =============================================

jpm@sauna.cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) (04/21/89)

In article <42011@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie>, fmodwyer@csvax1
 (Frank O'Dwyer, Dept. of Computer Science, TCD, Dublin 2, IRELAND) writes:
>Is there a utility around which will join BinHexed files which have
>been split for mailing (as in comp.binaries.mac, for example)?

Try "mcvert" from sumex-aim.stanford.edu, file /info-mac/unix/mcvert.shar,
or sauna.hut.fi (128.214.3.119), file /pub/mac/unix/mcvert.shar.
No access to Internet? Ask for it by mail, and I'll send it to you.

"mcvert" will convert your "BinHex_part[1-n].hqx" files into a single
MacBinary-file, which then can be downloaded. If you have the parts in
a single file with lines such as "--- end of ...." and "From: xxx",
no problem. It can detect these and skip them and get to the "real stuff".

It will also convert the MacBinary file back to a single BinHex-4 file, if
you want to download the ascii file.

Pretty neat.

Who wrote it? From the distibution:
 * mcvert.c - version 1.01 - April 8, 1989
 * Written by Doug Moore - Cornell University - moore@cs.cornell.edu

--
Jussi-Pekka Mantere				jpm@cs.hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology, Finland	jpm@finhutcs.bitnet

fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer, Dept. of Computer Science, TCD, Dublin 2, IRELAND) (04/22/89)

In article <110@softop.UUCP>, jeff@softop.UUCP (Jeff) writes:
> In article <42011@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie> fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>>Is there a utility around which will join BinHexed files which have
>>been split for mailing (as in comp.binaries.mac, for example)?
>
> I dont get it.  The things came from unix in the first place, and

We're running VAX/VMS

> unix has this neat tool (I no its too sophisticated for the Mac :-) )
> called cat.
>
> Just edit and cat the bits BEFORE => the Mac, and the problem goes away.

Editing and catting the bits *is* the goddamn problem!

The Mac has editors too.  So has the VAX.  I've had it up to HERE
with editing binhexed files, cutting and pasting etc.   That's why I asked.

> In all seriousness, this is another example of the deficiency of the Mac
> approach for non application tasks.  You DO need a command line and simple
> tools every now and again

Agreed - but you chose a lousy example to illustrate your point.

----
Frank O'Dwyer,                            e-mail: FMODWYER@cs.tcd.ie
Dept. of Computer Science,
Trinity College Dublin,
IRELAND.

"Notice all the computations, theoretical scribblings, and Lab
equipment, Norm... Yes, curiosity killed these cats."

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (04/23/89)

>>I dont get it.  The things came from unix in the first place, and
>>unix has this neat tool (I no its too sophisticated for the Mac :-) )
>>called cat.
>
>  It's easy enough to catenate files together; the problem is in removing
>file headers, extraneous lines like "-- End of part 23 --", etc. so BinHex
>won't choke. This processing can be done on the un*x box prior to transfer,

Big deal.  I just use the following script:

#! /bin/sh
#
cat $* | sed -e '/(This file/b<done>
	1,/^---/ d
	/^---/,/^---/ d
	/^---/,$ d
	:<done>' | xbin -

---
Sure, there are some data dependencies, but I've never had it not work!
Ben Goldfarb				uucp: {decvax,peora}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
University of Central Florida		Internet: goldfarb@hcx9.ucf.edu
Department of Computer Science		BITNET: goldfarb@ucf1vm.BITNET

mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke) (04/25/89)

In article <42769@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie>, fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer, Dept. of Computer Science, TCD, Dublin 2, IRELAND) writes:
> In article <110@softop.UUCP>, jeff@softop.UUCP (Jeff) writes:
> > In article <42011@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie> fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie writes:
> >>Is there a utility around which will join BinHexed files which have
> >>been split for mailing (as in comp.binaries.mac, for example)?
> >

> The Mac has editors too.  So has the VAX.  I've had it up to HERE
> with editing binhexed files, cutting and pasting etc.   That's why I asked.

If you ftp to rascal.ics.utexas.edu, there is a program in /mac/text-bashing
call Unity_3.1.  This is a text file concatenator I wrote to handle this exact
situation. You still have to go into the file afterwards and take out text
between parts if binhex dies, but it helps a lot to not have to cut and paste.

Have fun and enjoy.

Michael O'Rourke

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (04/25/89)

[users discuss the pain of deleting header material from combined binhex files]

I keep it pretty simple. I save the binary files to the root directory,
appending them one after the other. Then I download them via Text Xmodem
(or Text Kermit). Open the file with QUED. Use the "Find" routine to find
any string in the headers such as "Subject:." It instantly goes to it, and
a quick select-backspace yanks it out. "Find Next" gets you to the rest of
them just as easily. One could delete half a dozen headers in less time than
it took to type this paragraph.

Ron

 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (04/26/89)

> Big deal.  I just use the following script:
>

> #! /bin/sh
> #
> cat $* | sed -e '/(This file/b<done>
> 	1,/^---/ d
> 	:<done>' | xbin -

Well, I guess I just missed the obvious again!

> ---
> Sure, there are some data dependencies, but I've never had it not work!
> Ben Goldfarb				uucp: {decvax,peora}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
> University of Central Florida		Internet: goldfarb@hcx9.ucf.edu
> Department of Computer Science		BITNET: goldfarb@ucf1vm.BITNET

Scott Bayes