[comp.sys.mac] uw

calvin@iconsys.UUCP (Calvin Hamilton) (06/28/88)

I have a copy of the UNIX side of UW version 4.2; however, I dont
have the mac interface program.  Is UW version 4.2 the latest version,
and does anyone have a copy of the mac interface program?  I would
appreciate someone sending me the latest version of the program.

Thanks,

Calvin Hamilton		    {ihnp4,uunet}!iconsys!calvin
Icon International, Inc.    {ihnp4,psivax}!nrcvax!nrc-ut!iconsys!calvin
Orem, Utah 84058	    ARPANET: icon%byuadam.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
(801) 225-6888		    BITNET: icon%byuadam.bitnet

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (08/06/88)

The following is a true story in praise of uw.

A few minutes ago while logged in from home to a Sun at work (using
uw, a multiwindow terminal program that was posted to
comp.sys.mac.binaries a few months ago) I got mail from a coworker
saying goodbye, he would be back from vacation in two weeks.

No!  I needed to talk to him before he left!  I quickly started
"rlogin"-g into the main Suns at work to find the one he was logged
into (I hoped still) so I could "talk" to him through Unix.  I
found him.  His login had been idle for a few minutes, but he is not
one to leave for two weeks without logging off first (not that our
machines can stay up for two weeks, but still...).  I typed talk and
waited.  It rang him, and again.  He wasn't at his desk.  Shit!

OK.  Look to see who else is logged in and not idle for too long (in
other words, still there Friday evening), maybe they could grab him
before he left--I couldn't phone by voice because I couldn't be sure
someone would answer after hours (especially on a Friday night).  I
grabbed another window into the Sun and typed "w" to see who was
logged in (I left the talk window ringing on the left side of the
screen and didn't cover it.  Uw keeps updating its windows--even as a
background task under MultiFinder).  No one was logged in with a small
idle time.  I "rlogin"-ed to the major machines we have, looking for
somebody.  No one.  I ran "rup" to remember what the other etherneted
Suns are called (we have a bunch).  I left that in its window and
opened yet another to start "rlogin"-g in to them to see whether I
could find anybody still there.

Well, I didn't find anyone home.  So I went back to what I was
doing--but kept the one window on the left ringing and visible.
Finally he answered.  (whew!)  I got matters sorted out and said
goodbye for two weeks.

At this point I am thrilled with uw and have to tell someone.  I sent
a hunk of mail to a coworker and then started to type this.  The final
beauty of uw is it runs on a Macintosh.  I have only 1 meg and so
can't run MindWrite, my normal word processor, with much else, but I
CAN run MockWrite with no problem.  As you can guess I prefer
MockWrite (at 54K for the entire MockPackage running on an inexpensive
machine) to Gnu Emacs (bunches and bunches of memory on a Sun).

I want a big screen.  I have about a half dozen windows open at the
moment, windows I need to have be big enough for me to use, windows I
need to move among.  I want a big screen.

Thank you John D. Bruner!  Uw is the most civilized way I know for
dealing with a Unix machine.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (08/08/88)

In article <122@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
>Thank you John D. Bruner!  Uw is the most civilized way I know for
>dealing with a Unix machine.
My sentiments exactly.  John has done us all a great service.
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/09/88)

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 88 17:30:31 PDT
From: John Bruner <nlp3!jdb@mordor.s1.gov>
To: mordor!werner@astro.as.utexas.edu
Subject: Re:  FYI

Thanks for forwarding the posting.  I am at least hooked up with
the INFO-MAC digest now.

I still plan to find some time and come out with one more version
of UW.  If only I can get a block of time with a Mac and a UNIX
machine together, I'll hammer out the file transfer stuff.  The
rest of the things should fall in place once I've done that.

(Of course, I've been saying this for the past year.)

--
-------------------->PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS<---------------------
(INTERNET)	werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (04/22/89)

I just downloaded the 'uw' program from sumex-aim, and found it to be the
most incrediblely interesting program I have seen in a long time!  I imagine
that maybe others are ignorant about it also, so here is a one paragraph
description.

uw is actually two programs, one you run on a BSD 4.3 (or 4.2) system, and
one you run on your Mac.  The server on the BSD end will use ptys to
set up as many as 7 shells for you, and the client on the Mac will put
each one in its own resizeable window.  This works across SERIAL, DIAL-UP
lines!  This means that you can dial up your local VAX and have multiple
windows, without using a Sun over Ethernet, or X-windows, or any of the
other big ticket items you might otherwise need.

As far as I know, this is the only program that lets you set up
a multi-window environment over dial-up lines.  (It does VT52, ADM31, and
TEK4010 emulations.  In the future, downloading protocols are planned.  Last,
the uw protocol seems fairly-well defined, and might make it to the (ugh) IBM
world *someday*.)

Congratulations to John D. Bruner, its author.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (John Arvidson) (04/22/89)

UW is indeed a very good program.  I have been using almost 1 year and as
a system administrator on our department's vax, it is indespensible when I
am working from home.  It makes me wish I had a 19 inch screen.  Anyone
know if and when file transfer will be implemented?

John Arvidson

davet@oakhill.UUCP (David Trissel) (04/22/89)

In article <17047@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>I just downloaded the 'uw' program from sumex-aim, and found it to be the
>most incrediblely interesting program I have seen in a long time!
>
> ... you can dial up your local VAX and have multiple
>windows, without using a Sun over Ethernet, or X-windows, or any of the
>other big ticket items you might otherwise need.
>
>As far as I know, this is the only program that lets you set up
>a multi-window environment over dial-up lines.

Not for long.  Right now I'm beta testing an application I wrote called
MacLayers (originally intended to run with System V's xt layers driver). It
is similar to 'uw' but provides some badly needed features that 'uw'
doesn't have.

The most important addition is that all windows are scrollable just like
MacTerminal. MacLayers also supports XMODEM downloading with either
MacTerminal or MacBinary protocol. (You can work in one window while
downloading in another.)

There are other features like text string searching a window, hiding
windows, multiple font support, and so on. Windows can be any size up to 80
lines by 133 characters and keyboard keys can be used to scroll/move/select
windows.

Since it's brand new I'm still changing some basic operations as I get
feedback from alpha users. I should be ready to post a beta version
in two months.

 -- Dave Trissel  ut-sally!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!davet

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (04/24/89)

In article <1996@oakhill.UUCP> davet@oakhill.UUCP (David Trissel) writes:
>The most important addition is that all windows are scrollable just like
>MacTerminal. MacLayers also supports XMODEM downloading with either
>MacTerminal or MacBinary protocol. (You can work in one window while
>downloading in another.)
>
> -- Dave Trissel  ut-sally!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!davet

Have you considered having Kermit downloading, too?  For most Unix systems
that I know of, this is the main tranfer protocol used (and sometimes
the only one), and it would be much more useful that way.  Even without
Kermit, it still sounds amazing, especially the "background downloading"
capability.  I can hardly wait.

-Ivan

|  "My father peddles opium, my mother's on the dole.			     |
| My sister used to walk the streets but now she's on parole.		     |
| My uncle pays with little girlss; my aunt, she raped a steer,		     |
| But they won't even speak to me 'cause I'm an engineer."		     |
|	-The MIT Engineers' Drinking Song				     |
| ARPA: captkidd@athena.mit.edu						     |
| DISCLAIMER: It's my spout, not MIT's (would they really say such garbage?) |

aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) (04/24/89)

Kermit is getting old, I think. The tendency is to move towards
XYZmodem.

Hans Aberg, Mathematics
aberg@math.rutgers.edu

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (04/24/89)

In article <Apr.23.19.00.48.1989.26427@math.rutgers.edu> aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:
>Kermit is getting old, I think. The tendency is to move towards
>XYZmodem.
>
>Hans Aberg, Mathematics
>aberg@math.rutgers.edu

Except that many of us must get to our machines through 7 bit terminal
servers, thus making XYZModem useless.  Please do not leave out kermit!!!

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (04/24/89)

In article <Apr.23.19.00.48.1989.26427@math.rutgers.edu>,
aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:
>Kermit is getting old, I think. The tendency is to move towards
>XYZmodem.

  Kermit still has its uses.  I don't know of any X/Y/ZMODEM
variations which work across 7-bit data lines; are there?  Our
terminal system here (as well as our Suns) like even parity, and
convincing them to pass 8 bits is nearly impossible.
  Also, Kermit is an evolving protocol.  I use long-packet kermit to
do data transfers here, and have found it to be quite efficient.  (I'm
waiting for someone to do a Mac sliding-window Kermit implementation
and see what kind of difference that makes).
  It's nice to have both Kermit and XMODEM available.  Oh yes, Kermit
also handles translation between different systems quite well--I don't
have to worry about the fact that on the four systems I use,
end-of-line is denoted by:

	Nothing (VAX/VMS)
	CR (Apple ][, Macintosh)
	LF (Unix)
	CR/LF (CP/M, MS-DOS)

  Just my thoughts....

+---------------------------+------------------------+---------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         | rec.music.newage is |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu | under discussion... |
+---------------------------+------------------------+---------------------+

man@brunix (Mark H. Nodine) (04/25/89)

In article <17047@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>I just downloaded the 'uw' program from sumex-aim, and found it to be the
>most incrediblely interesting program I have seen in a long time!  I imagine
>that maybe others are ignorant about it also, so here is a one paragraph
>description.

I agree.  It's a marvelous program.  It makes an awesome combination
with gnuemacs.

I have written a little utility for it which allows setting of the
window options (size, mouse mode, position, visibility, etc.) remotely
from the unix host.  This is useful since I want the mouse to work
with the clipboard in ordinary text windows and to be sent to the host
when I'm in a gnuemacs window.  If anybody wants the code, I could post
it to comp.sources.mac.

	--Mark

c08_dta7@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (TA7) (04/26/89)

In article <4822@brunix.UUCP> man@pitman.UUCP (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
>In article <17047@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>>I just downloaded the 'uw' program from sumex-aim, and found it to be the
>>most incrediblely interesting program I have seen in a long time!  I imagine
>>that maybe others are ignorant about it also, so here is a one paragraph
>>description.
>
>I agree.  It's a marvelous program.  It makes an awesome combination
>with gnuemacs.

Does anyone know how to run uw on SystemV unix? Is there a second
version for that?

Thanks in advance,

Mamdouh Maher