[comp.sys.mac] X for MAC-OS?

kohl@gmdzi.UUCP (Andy Kohl) (04/21/89)

Does anybody know anything about an X implementation for the MAC
under MAC-OS?

thanks in advance
       ANDY

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/22/89)

>Does anybody know anything about an X implementation for the MAC
>under MAC-OS?

Check out "eXodus 1.0" from White Pine Software, Amherst, New Hampshire,
Telephone: 603-886-9050.  There's a brief article about this in the May
MacWorld.  It's a brand new product and looks like what you'd be looking for.
The more RAM you have, the better the resolution.

Sorry, but I don't have their full address.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (04/22/89)

In article <2847@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>Check out "eXodus 1.0" from White Pine Software, Amherst, New Hampshire,
>Telephone: 603-886-9050.  There's a brief article about this in the May
>MacWorld.  It's a brand new product and looks like what you'd be looking for.
>The more RAM you have, the better the resolution.

Well, one question that seems rather obvious, but no one has asked yet is:

	How does the Mac emulate a two button mouse?

As you know, most X workstations (hosts) use at least a 2 button
mouse, and some use 3.  Fortunately, on a two button mouse, X lets you
hold down *both* buttons to emulate the 3rd button, but how does
eXodus and other X packages for the Mac provide for the second and
third button?

Inquiring minds want to know...

 """""""   Andrew "Fuz" Lih	              Columbia University Center
 | @ @ |   Instructional Computing	      for Computing Activities
 <  ^  >
  \ - /    lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu	      AJLUS@CUVMB.BITNET
   --- 	   lih@heathcliff.cs.columbia.edu  ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/23/89)

In article <1429@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) writes...

>Well, one question that seems rather obvious, but no one has asked yet is:
>
>	How does the Mac emulate a two button mouse?

I don't know for sure, but I believe one option is to use the option and
command/apple keys in conjuntion with mouse presses.

Robert
------

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (04/23/89)

In article <1429@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) writes:
>In article <2847@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>	How does the Mac emulate a two button mouse?
>
>As you know, most X workstations (hosts) use at least a 2 button
>mouse, and some use 3.  Fortunately, on a two button mouse, X lets you
>hold down *both* buttons to emulate the 3rd button, but how does
>eXodus and other X packages for the Mac provide for the second and
>third button?

The implementation really doesn't have anything to do with it.  X
is configurable enough to handle a 1-button mouse in a lot of cases.

Window managers help a lot.

With awm, you can set up various parts of a window to be special
contexts.  The title bar can do one thing, and the area close to
the window border can do another.  Also, there are items called
"gadgets", which are placed in the title bar to allow you to do
other things.  For example, I have a little box on my title bar
that will move the window to the left or right a few pixels when
I click in it.  Not a great use, but anything you can do with an
extra button you can do with a gadget.

With twm, you can assign multiple "f." functions to a button
using the "Function" definition.  One example (given by Tom
himself and used without his permission) is "raise-lower-move":

	MoveDelta 5
	Button1=   : title: f.function "raise-lower-move"
	Function "raise-lower-move" {
		f.move
		f.raislower
	}

This says that if the first pointer button is pressed in the
title bar and the mouse is moved more than 5 pixels, the window
is moved.  If it isn't moved that far, the window is raised
or lowered, depending on it's current status.

Another thing is that you can assign buttons in combination with
the shift, control, and meta keys.  This multiplies the abilities
considerably.

Of course, this doesn't address the problem of applications expecting
certain mouse buttons (i.e., cut and paste and scrollbar grabbing in
xterm), but I was talking to twm's author yesterday, and we discussed
the idea of having the ability to have the window manager map events
into other events.  That is, it might be possible to have
"shift-button1" and "control-button1" be mapped to "button2" and
"button3" respectively.

The main thing is to give it a try and see what doesn't work.  X
is still under development, and the only way to improve it is
to use it and see what's missing.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (04/23/89)

From article <1034@gmdzi.UUCP>, by kohl@gmdzi.UUCP (Andy Kohl):

> Does anybody know anything about an X implementation for the MAC
> under MAC-OS?

I think eXodus from White Pine software, which is just that ...
X under the MacOS will be shipping soon.

				ian

--

                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Computer Systems Superintendent

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (04/24/89)

In article <2857@tank.uchicago.edu>, ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> In article <1429@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) writes...
> >
> >Well, one question that seems rather obvious, but no one has asked yet is:
> >
> >	How does the Mac emulate a two button mouse?

The Mac under AUX 1.1 uses the left and right arrow keys to emulate the left
and right buttons on a three button mouse.
--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (04/24/89)

In article <144@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>The Mac under AUX 1.1 uses the left and right arrow keys to emulate the left
>and right buttons on a three button mouse.

Ick.  really?

-Sho

carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (04/25/89)

In article <2186@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>In article <144@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>>The Mac under AUX 1.1 uses the left and right arrow keys to emulate the left
>>and right buttons on a three button mouse.
>
>Ick.  really?

On ours, A/UX uses the left arrow key to emulate the middle
button of the 3 button mouse (unless this is the MIT X server). :-)

Has anyone given any thought to making window manager configuration
files useable across mouse platforms?  I don't want to maintain more
than one .awmrc (I just spent some time getting a .awmrc to work well
on a one button mouse platform).

Let's make life easier, it's already hard enough.

John Carlson
carlson@tis.llnl.gov

rcbaab@eutrc3.UUCP (Annard Brouwer) (04/25/89)

In article <1429@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) writes:
>In article <2847@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>Well, one question that seems rather obvious, but no one has asked yet is:
>
>	How does the Mac emulate a two button mouse?

I have been working with the microExplorer card in the MacII by Texas
Instruments and they have emulated a three-button mouse by holding down
the Option and/or Command key. It works, but I'd rather use just one button
(less confusing...).

Hope this helpes...

Annard Brouwer.

--
name   		: Annard Brouwer	address: Dreef 74
BITNET		: RCGBBAAB@HEITUE51		 5504 LD Veldhoven

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (04/26/89)

In article <1429@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) writes:
> Well, one question that seems rather obvious, but no one has asked yet is:
>
> 	How does the Mac emulate a two button mouse?
>
> As you know, most X workstations (hosts) use at least a 2 button
> mouse, and some use 3.  Fortunately, on a two button mouse, X lets you
> hold down *both* buttons to emulate the 3rd button, but how does
> eXodus and other X packages for the Mac provide for the second and
> third button?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know...

I'm not sure how eXodus does it, but running X11 R2 under A/UX (Apple's
version of UNIX), two keyboard keys emulate the extra two mouse buttons.

On the Extended keybaord (i.e., the PC-looking one), the actual mouse
button is the Left button.  The Middle button is the option key, I believe, and
the Right button is the Enter key on the keypad.  The command key (the
one with the pretzel symbol) is the Meta key (meta-1).  The Extended
keyboard has two sets of command and opyion keys, one on each side
of the space bar.

On the normal Apple ADB keyboard, I believe the extra mouse buttons are
emulated by the left and right arrow keys.   Personally, I like the
larger keyboard better, if only because of the placement of the bar (|)
and Tilde (~) keys--two keys I use a lot under UNIX.

By the way, Apple's X11 R2 server is quite fun, and I can't wait to
get my hands on their X11 R3 (which supports 256 colours, hurray :-).

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  """""""   Andrew "Fuz" Lih	              Columbia University Center
>  | @ @ |   Instructional Computing	      for Computing Activities
>  <  ^  >
>   \ - /    lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu	      AJLUS@CUVMB.BITNET
>    --- 	   lih@heathcliff.cs.columbia.edu  ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih

Hope this helps,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson          | Phone +1 612-894-0313             | Are we
Prime Automation,Inc     | UUCP:   bungia!pai!erc            | having