[comp.sys.mac] MicroSoft Word 4.0 Upgrade, How much?

tjs@dadent (tom sullivan) (04/23/89)

I've already posted a follow up article concerning a discrepency
between the price quoted my in my Upgrade notice and that of
another user. I was quoted $75, and he was quoted $50. I vaugely
remember the original notice (last August) indicating $50, but
I can't find that notice. There's one thing that's really got
me POed right now about this deal. The packet indicates that
if you recieved an update after April 1988 (I assume they mean
to 3.02), that you can get a FREE 4.0 Upgrade. I had been useing
3.01 and after finding out that 3.0.2 was available, wrote a letter
to MicroSoft asking for and the upgrade. They send back a kind letter
describing the differences between 3.0.2 and 3.0.1. They said I could
upgrade by sending my disks in, but that the differences were minor
things, that didn't have an effect upon my use of Word. So I
decided to just wait for 4.0. If I had upgraded, I would be getting
4.0 FREE.  I guess I've learned my lesson. Get every upgrade you can!

just venting a little steam!!!

tom

PS I would be interested in finding out how many people got $50
upgrade notices and how many got $75 notices.

jvictor@pawl.rpi.edu (Jonathan V. Fisher) (04/24/89)

Point 1:  The upgrade price to Word 4.0 is $50 for those who sent in their
reservations before a certain date, otherwise the price is $75.  I don't
remember the date, but it was sometime in July or August I think.

Point 2: I believe that if you BOUGHT Word 3.02 after a certain date,
1 May 88 (?), you get a free upgrade.  I really doubt that Microsoft would
send out upgrades free to people who just had a minor (and free) upgrade
to 3.02.  The thing that bugs ME about the offer is that I bought my copy
five days before the free upgrade offer, but that's my bad luck.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (04/25/89)

In article <223@wuee1.wustl.edu> tjs@dadent (tom sullivan) writes:
[...]

Well, he brings up an interesting point, and he's right. The letter (for
the $50 upgrade offer) states: "If you acquired or updated to any version
of Microsoft Word for the Apple Macintosh before May 1, 1988, you can
get your version 4.0 update for only $50.00 (plus $5.50 shipping and
handling and applicable sales tax). If you acquired or updated to any
version of Word for the Macintosh on or After May 1, 1988, all you need
to send is $5.50 shipping and handling per unit. The update itself is
FREE!"

Note that you don't even have to pay sales tax if you acquired any
version of Word on or after May 1. I'm sure almost all of us fit the
latter category since we heard that you needed 3.02 to run System 6.
Nevertheless, I'm sending money today. I probably won't get it in time
to run the huge index I have to finish, which means many more hours of
time. Gee-next time they want an update, it will cost my client less
money and I get less in consultant fees. Such is life.

Shirley Kehr

john@altos86.UUCP (John Corwin) (04/26/89)

In article <223@wuee1.wustl.edu> tjs@dadent (tom sullivan) writes:

>PS I would be interested in finding out how many people got $50
>upgrade notices and how many got $75 notices.

I got a $50 upgrade notice last week.  I had sent in their coupon
last year that allowed me to get the $50 price.

John Corwin, Altos Computer Systems