[comp.sys.mac] Microsoft Word 4.0 Upgrade

spencer@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Stephen Spencer) (04/25/89)

According to the update notice I received Saturday, since I bought the
Academic version of Word after August 1, 1988, all I have to pay for the
upgrade is $5.50 shipping and handling.  Academic users who bought before
August 1, 1988 had to pay $50.00 plus %5.50 s&h, if I'm not mistaken.
Of course we only got one manual, not two, and our upgrade won't come
with whatever draw program is being advertised as being part of the upgrade
(boo!!! hiss!!!) but for $5.50 I'm not going to complain too loudly.

-=-
Stephen N. Spencer      |"For a successful technology, reality must take
ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. | precedence over public relations, for Nature
Columbus OH 43212       | cannot be fooled."     - Richard P. Feynman
spencer@heinlein.cgrg.ohio-state.edu OR spencer@cis.ohio-state.edu

jvictor@pawl.rpi.edu (Jonathan V. Fisher) (04/25/89)

In article <45106@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <spencer@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>According to the update notice I received Saturday, since I bought the
>Academic version of Word after August 1, 1988, all I have to pay for the
>upgrade is $5.50 shipping and handling.  Academic users who bought before
>August 1, 1988 had to pay $50.00 plus %5.50 s&h, if I'm not mistaken.
>Of course we only got one manual, not two, and our upgrade won't come
>with whatever draw program is being advertised as being part of the upgrade
>(boo!!! hiss!!!) but for $5.50 I'm not going to complain too loudly.

I've heard that the academic version upgrade is only $35 (+$.5.50) if
the academic version of Word 3 was bought before a certain date.  If you
are paying $50 for the upgrade you should be getting all the stuff a
regular upgrade includes.  Though, I suppose that if you didn't reserve
an academic upgrade by the deadline (the deadline for getting a regular
upgrade for $50 instead of $75), the academic version might then cost $50.

>-=-
>Stephen N. Spencer

Jonathan Fisher
jvictor@pawl.rpi.edu or userfwgy@rpitsmts.bitnet or userfwgy@mts.rpi.edu

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (04/25/89)

I received my upgrade form for the academic edition of
MS Word 4.0 this morning.  THe price is $35 if you bought
yours before Aug 1, 1988 and free if you bought it after that.

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye [Xiao]) (04/26/89)

In article <2685@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>I received my upgrade form for the academic edition of
>MS Word 4.0 this morning.  THe price is $35 if you bought
>yours before Aug 1, 1988 and free if you bought it after that.

Do you know whether the upgrade for the academic version includes the
thesaurus, SuperPaint and most importantly the manuals as well ?

I heard a rumor that I would have to pay extra $25 for the manual !
And the thesaurus, superpaint and automac are not included in the
upgrade for the academic users.  I hope this is a RUMOR.

Can anyone on the net clarify this point ??

Thanks in advance.
Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

jvictor@pawl.rpi.edu (Jonathan V. Fisher) (04/27/89)

In article <13218@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) writes:
>Do you know whether the upgrade for the academic version includes the
>thesaurus, SuperPaint and most importantly the manuals as well ?
>
>I heard a rumor that I would have to pay extra $25 for the manual !
>And the thesaurus, superpaint and automac are not included in the
>upgrade for the academic users.  I hope this is a RUMOR.

According the a posted upgrade sheet in our computer store, the academic
version of the upgrade to Word 4.0 doesn't not include all the manuals
nor does it include SuperPaint.  The upgrade supposedly includes a coupon
to buy the manuals and buy SuperPaint ($50 for SuperPaint).  I haven't
actually seen an acdemic upgrade, since I bought the regular version.  But,
if I remember correctly, the academic version didn't include all the manuals
in the first place, so I wouldn't expect them in the upgrade.