[comp.sys.mac] Memo board utility

jonathan@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jonathan Altman) (04/26/89)

I am currently working on making my Macintosh my "electronic desk."
The mac is the one thing in my office I'm guaranteed to look at
everyday reliably.  I haven't seen a utility to do the one thing I
need most right now, however.  What I'd like is some kind of init or
something that can put up a "to-be-done listing."  Rather than stick
post-its all over my desk, or keep lists floating around my office,
I'd like to just be able to, any time I come up with a task that
needs to be done later, just add it to a list that automagically
appears each time I turn my Mac on, kind of like my desktop were a
memo board or blackboard.  Here's possible solutions I've thought
about, and their feasibility.

1. Some kind of scheduling utility like "remember."  I've looked at
Remember and it's nice at keeping track of appointments, it seems.
But if I have a task that I want to be reminded of everyday until I
do it, Remember doesn't seem to do as well.  It prints out that item
EVERY day, so that I see the same item listed seven times.  I just
want one "memo" board that lets me put up un-time-specified things
to do.

2. Use DeskPict (I have a SE/30) and edit the deskpicture file.
This is great except that I have not found an easy way to get text
into "grayview" documents, nor even to edit these documents easily.
Neither Retouch or Grayview seem to have any capability of handling
text.  Another application that generates Grayview docs and deals
with text might work, if anybody knows of one.

3. Use a utility on sumex archives called "Reminder 1.01."  I tried
this but couldn't get it to work correctly.  There was supposed to
be a way to get the application to let you enter a message, but I
think this program either doesn't understand the ADB keyboard
correctly or runs fast enough on my SE/30 that I can't get the key
combination fast enough that would allow me to edit a message.

What I'd really like would be if I could just draw on my desktop,
then I could just edit my desktop whenever I needed to (that's what
I do to my real desktop, and if Apple can add a bitmap editor to
Hypercard, they can add it to the Finder), but an elegant way to
accomplish #2 above or some utility that accomplished #1 with a
relatively unobtrusive window would be nice.  Any suggestions out
there?  Anybody interested in a quickie programming task (this might
be a little out of my league)?  Please post or e-mail as you see
fit-I'll see it either place, I leave the choice of adding to news
traffic to others.  I will summarize e-mail if people ask me, and
response warrants.

Jonathan Altman           jonathan@eleazar.Dartmouth.edu
Database Administrator    (linus,harvard,decvax)!dartvax!eleazar!jonathan
Dartmouth Dante Project   voice: 603-646-2633
301 Bartlett Hall	  also try: jonathan.altman@dartmouth.edu
HB 6087
Hanover, NH 03755

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (04/26/89)

In article <13223@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jonathan@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jonathan Altman) writes:
>I am currently working on making my Macintosh my "electronic desk."
>The mac is the one thing in my office I'm guaranteed to look at
>everyday reliably.  I haven't seen a utility to do the one thing I
>need most right now, however.  What I'd like is some kind of init or
>something that can put up a "to-be-done listing."  Rather than stick
>post-its all over my desk, or keep lists floating around my office,
>I'd like to just be able to, any time I come up with a task that
>needs to be done later, just add it to a list that automagically
>appears each time I turn my Mac on, kind of like my desktop were a
>memo board or blackboard.

One utility to check out is Comment 2.x, from Deneba Software.  This nifty
little program allows you to set up time reminders (similar to Smart
Alarms) which will appear for time-sensitive tasks (appointments, etc.),
or create a "to-do" list composed of lots of notes viewed globally.
As well, Comment gives you the ability to apply an electronic Post-It(tm)
note to documents, spreadsheet cells, etc.  All in all, a very handy
utility in that it's both easy to use and versatile.

I'm not associated with Deneba in any way other than as a satisfied customer,
but I think they have one of the most consistently useful product lines
in the software business.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (04/27/89)

> What I'd really like would be if I could just draw on my desktop,
> then I could just edit my desktop whenever I needed to (that's what
> I do to my real desktop, and if Apple can add a bitmap editor to
> Hypercard, they can add it to the Finder), but an elegant way to

I love this!!! Why not? Hell, I don't want to pop up a DA or launch an
application just to see simple jottings (e.g. notepad). Just give me a pencil,
eraser, box tool, text tool, and I'm in great shape. Apple, please do this!!

>  [...]

> Jonathan Altman           jonathan@eleazar.Dartmouth.edu
> Database Administrator    (linus,harvard,decvax)!dartvax!eleazar!jonathan
> Dartmouth Dante Project   voice: 603-646-2633
> 301 Bartlett Hall	  also try: jonathan.altman@dartmouth.edu
> HB 6087
> Hanover, NH 03755

Scott Bayes