[comp.sys.mac] Microsoft Word for MAC II/Sun

rr2g@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Rhonda Ragland) (04/26/89)

Does anyone know of either Microsoft Word for the Sun or a Microsoft
Word "clone" which can be used on the Sun?  Within our department the
secretarial staff has switched to MAC II's using Word.  It is now time
for me to update my workstation and I was going to go w/ a MAC II also
until I found out that it doesn't have the multiple process capability
that the Sun does.  If there is not a clone then how about a relatively
simple way of converting MS Word coming from the MAC to a format usable
on the Sun.  I've heard the Wordperfect is available for the Sun but
that's not what I need.  I've also posted this query to comp.sys.sun.
Can anyone help?

		Thanks
		 Rhonda
| Phone:    804-924-6265                   |    Rhonda Ragland               |
| Internet: rr2g@virginia.edu	           |	University of Virginia       |
| Bitnet:   rr2g@virginia.bitnet 	   |	Applied Mechanics Program    |
| UUCP:     ...!uunet!virginia!watt!rr2g   |	Charlottesville, VA  22903   |

robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) (04/27/89)

In article <616@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> rr2g@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Rhonda Ragland) writes:
>Does anyone know of either Microsoft Word for the Sun or a Microsoft
>Word "clone" which can be used on the Sun?
> ....If there is not a clone then how about a relatively
>simple way of converting MS Word coming from the MAC to a format usable
>on the Sun.

I too am in need of a way of getting MAC MS Word documents onto a Unix machine.
A utility along the lines of macwrite2troff to convert MSWord to TeX, LaTeX,
or troff would be great.  I know how to get plain text out of Word....

Any pointers for us?

Stephen M. Robinson, AI Group, School of Information and Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332   404-894-8932
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!robinson
Internet: robinson@prism.gatech.edu