[comp.sys.mac] Is this really possible?

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) (04/27/89)

Recently on EchoMac I read a posting concerning a Trojan going under the
guise of Stuffit v2.0d, here is a little excerpt:

> Msg#   : 9309   Fri 21 Apr 89  3:43p
> From   : GERRY JOHNSON
> To     : All
> Subject: Possible Stuffit 2.0d Virus
>
> I found this alarming message on BIG MAC BBS (201-531-3519,
> Wanamassa, NJ)  Can anyone verify this?
>
> 21/21: Watch Out! Warning!
> Name: Frank Ventura #89
> Date: 11:07 am  Fri Apr 21, 1989
> There is a new trojan horse program that is going around under
> the guise of StuffIt 2.0d! This is a very lethal program I had
> my hard disk turned off (power switch off) but it still managed
> to trash the disk enough where it cannot not be reinitialized via
> PC MacTools, SUM, or the drives own initialzation software -
> I sent the drive back to the manfacturer and they said the
> damage was beyond repair (something about the program
> writing too many bad sectors to the disk). So I caution you no
> to do anything with the above program it is being uploaded
> all around the country by some nasty little kid, the info I
> have on him is:

The question I have is, is it indeed possible for a trojan to do harm to a
hard drive if the drive isn't even on!?  I've never heard of such a thing,
but thought I'd ask the net...

David..

                 - Signature Continued in Next Message -

--- FD 2.00
 * Origin: Computer Synapse - Neural Networking - Toronto (1:250/428)

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org
 UUCP:     ...!tmsoft!masnet!f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org!david.dmytryshyn