[comp.sys.mac] Apple 21" monochrome monitor mini-review

ryland@mfci.UUCP (Chris Ryland) (04/26/89)

I recently installed an Apple 21" monochrome monitor and thought
people might be interested in a small review.

Overall, it's an excellent display, probably better than any I've
seen in the workstation world.  It has very low curvature for its
size (the Sigma Designs LaserView I was using before, a 19" monitor,
was much worse), and basically no distortion or loss of focus
at the corners, a major feat.  It has excellent "dot clarity" across
the entire screen.  The phosphor is P4, and can stand up to very
bright surroundings (I use it in a sun room, and it's quite readable
unless in direct sunlight).  The anti-glare coating is wonderful.
At 75 Hz refresh, the display is absolutely solid.

It's a large beast (55 pounds) and will eat a big chunk of your
desk (it comes with a tilt and swivel stand).

Apple has done a wonderful engineering job, and they're to be
commended.

The only drawback is the price: it lists for around $2700.

MacWeek had a review of the two new Apple monitors, side-by-side
with their Radius equivalents.  Their reviewer faulted the Apple
21" with not having "deep enough" blacks, something I can imagine
but not really see.  Other than that, the Apple and Radius large-
screen monitors were a toss-up; the anti-glare feature of the Apple
monitor made it the choice for me, given the sun room environment.

--Chris Ryland
  ryland@multiflow.com, ...!uunet!mfci!ryland

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (04/27/89)

In article <814@m3.mfci.UUCP> ryland@multiflow.com (Chris Ryland) writes:
>I recently installed an Apple 21" monochrome monitor and thought
>people might be interested in a small review.
>
>Overall, it's an excellent display, probably better than any I've
>seen in the workstation world.  It has very low curvature for its
>MacWeek had a review of the two new Apple monitors, side-by-side
>with their Radius equivalents.  Their reviewer faulted the Apple
>21" with not having "deep enough" blacks, something I can imagine
>but not really see.  Other than that, the Apple and Radius large-
>screen monitors were a toss-up; the anti-glare feature of the Apple
>monitor made it the choice for me, given the sun room environment.
>
>--Chris Ryland
>  ryland@multiflow.com, ...!uunet!mfci!ryland

Ohmigod!!! I am so amazed that somebody _actually_ read my article
and will admit it. The only problem I have is that the Copy Editors
added in a reference to Radius being in Sunnyvale, when they are
actually in San Jose.

The opinion in the article was formulated between the Review
Editor, Assistant Review Editor, two Mac-luminaries (who
happened to be in the office at the time), and myself.
We all agreed that the Apple Monochrome Two-Page Monitor
was not capable of creating as dark a black as any other
monitor used during the review. It was explained to us
that that is due to the 21" size tube and the physics
thereof.

Note: They still haven't paid me. I don't even get MacWeek,
I "don't qualify" for a free subscription.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -