[comp.sys.mac] Multigate box or Ethernet to 4*AppleTalk. Does it still exist

wezel@bio.vu.nl (Jos C. van Wezel) (04/26/89)

Some time ago Peter Jeremy of Alcatel-STC Australia mentioned a product
called Multigate, made by Webster Computer Corp P/L in Scoresby, Australia.
It is supposed to be a gateway/bridge between Ethernet and 4(!) Appletalk
networks.
Since then I never heard (but maybe I tap the net too little) of this
machine. Is there someone who can update me on this one.

Thanks,

Sincerely

Jos van Wezel
UUCP: ...mcvax!botter!wezel@bio.vu.nl
Internet: (see above)
----

ih@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Harries) (04/27/89)

In article <574@balaena.bio.vu.nl> wezel@bio.vu.nl (Jos C. van Wezel) writes:
>Some time ago Peter Jeremy of Alcatel-STC Australia mentioned a product
>called Multigate, made by Webster Computer Corp P/L in Scoresby, Australia.
>It is supposed to be a gateway/bridge between Ethernet and 4(!) Appletalk
>networks.
>Since then I never heard (but maybe I tap the net too little) of this
>machine. Is there someone who can update me on this one.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sincerely
>
>Jos van Wezel
>UUCP: ...mcvax!botter!wezel@bio.vu.nl
>Internet: (see above)
>----

Here at Imperial College, University of London, we now have 3 Multigates -
with more on the way. In the Dept. of Computing itself, I replaced  a pair of
FastPaths bridging two LocalTalks via Ethernet with a single Multigate.
We are very happy generally with performance and ease of installation.

Configuration of the box is via a Hypercard stack !

from the manual's introduction:

Network Gateway

    Multigate is a local area network (LAN) gateway allowing transparent
    connection between a maximum of four LocalTalk networks and an Ethernet.

    Multigate can be used as a network bridge, allowing all four LocalTalk
    networks to communicate with eachother. Additional Multigates, when
    connected to an Ethernet backbone network, provide a communication path
    between multiple LocalTalk networks.

Network Protocols

    To maximise exisiting and future network facilities, Multigate is designed
    to support standard network protocols. When transferring packets of
    information, Multigate will:

        Exchange suitably addressed AppleTalk packets between a maximum
        of four LocalTalk networks.

        Encapsulate AppleTalk packets within User Datagram Protocol and
        Internet Protocol (UDP/IP) packets for internet working to any
        local Ethernet host

        Encapsulate AppleTalk packets within Apple's EtherTalk protocol for
        communication with Apple products connected directly to the
        Ethernet.

Network Interfaces

    Datagrams (packets of information) pass through Multigate from network
    to network via rear panel connectors and two circuit boards, Multigate's
    motherboard and daughterboard.

Local Interfaces

    The daughterboard interfaces with the four LocalTalks, called channel
    0,1,2 and 3.

Ethernet Interface

    The motherboard interfaces with the Ethernet.

    Multigate offers the flexibility of selecting a Standard or Thin
    Wire Ethernet (Cheapernet) connection. Only one of the Ethernet
    connections can be active at any time.

Console and auxiliary Ports

    Two identical RS232 serial communication ports are interfaced on the
    motherboard.

    The console port is for direct Macintosh or terminal connection to
    Multigate, normally used for configuration.

    The auxiliary port is used for special perposes. For example, a host
    computer connected to the auxiliary port can be used to load Multigate's
    gateway code (application software).

System Software

    Multigate is shipped with a box of Macintosh disks which hold the system
    software.

    The software supplied comprises:

        The gateway code

        Various utilities

Gateway code

    All installations require the gateway code, which enables Multigate's
    general purpose CPU hardware to be used for dedicated gateway operation.
    The code is developed from Stanford Seagate communication protocol.

    During Multigate installation the gateway code will be initially booted
    from a Macintosh. Although this method of booting can continue after
    installation, the standard procedure is to transfer the boot file to a
    suitable IP host.

Utilities

    Various utilities are supplied for use with Multigate. These utilities
    include:

        CAP (Columbia ApppeTalk Package)

        NCSA Telnet/FTP

        BBN MacDump

        Various public domain utilities

Monitor code

    The motherboard also holds Multigate's CPU and memory. Part of the
    memory stores the monitor code, which is used for Multigate's
    configuration, diagnostics and booting of the gateway code. Multigate
    configuration involves using a Macintosh or a terminal to access the
    monitor.

Front Panel LEDs

    Four LEDs, located on the front panel of the case, are used by Multigate's
    monitor and gateway codes to indicate operational status:

        CPU RUN (green) LED indicates normal operation. THe LED is on when
        Multigate is idle and off when busy.

        ETHERNET ACTIVE and APPLETALK ACTIVE (yellow) LEDs flash to
        indicate operational activity. The flashing rate increases as the rate
        of datagrams handled by Multigate increases.

        FAULT (red) LED indicates minor or serious problems.

Specifications

    Dimensions                 420 mm by 475 mm by 110 mm

    Power source               240 or 115 VAC (internal strap)

    Power consumption          50W

    Temperature                5 - 60 deg. C operating

                               0 - 66 deg. C storage

    Relative humidity          10 - 90% non-condensing

    Communication lines        2 RS232 serial ports

    Memory                     512 Kb dynamic RAM

                               128 Kb EPROM

                               2 KB EEPROM

    Central processor          10 MHz 68010

    Ethernet Interfaces        DB15 Transceiver Cable Connector

                               BNC Thin Wire (Cheapernet)

    LocalTalk Interfaces       4 DB9's Macintosh-compatible

    Anciliary Devices          Battery bcked-up calendar clock

                               Timers (6840)

outside Australasia, Webster Computer Corporation are at:

    1037 North Fair Oaks Avenue            42 Maltings Close
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089                    Baldock, Herts SG7 6NG
    USA                                    UK
    (408) 745 0660 Telex 172943            (0462) 89 3304
    FAX (408) 745 1162                     FAX (0462) 89 6187

Uk distributors:

    Computer International Ltd.
    10 Farnbrough Close
    Stocklake
    Aylesbury
    Bucks  HP20 1DQ
    (0296) 434911

    Robin Harker is the person to talk to

    recommended retail price quoted as 3600 English Pounds, with educational
    discount available.

                               *** WHEW ***

This has been a public service announcement towards the greater dissemination
of (hopefully) interesting and useful information, brought to you by -

  Ian Harries                                   Department of Computing
  MicroComputer Support Officer                 Imperial College
                                                180 Queen's Gate
  Janet: ih@uk.ac.ic.doc                        London SW7 2BZ
  DARPA: ih%doc.ic.ac.uk                        United Kingdom
  Uucp:  ih@icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!ih            Tel: +44 1 589 5111 x5052