[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 Upgrade

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (04/26/89)

Message 1/1  From Robert Rubinoff                         Apr 25 '89 at
11:36 pm
                         Re: Microsoft Word 4.0 Upgrade

(message addressed to xxiaoye@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU)

Posted-Date: Tue, 25 Apr 89 23:36:51 EDT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

I called Microsoft today about this issue.  Yes, the academic version
does
not include any manuals.  To get the manuals, you have to pay an extra
$35.

Could you post this info to the net for me?  Our link here is screwed up
and
won't let me post anything.

   Robert

Above quoted was a reply to my inquiry on Word 4.0 Upgrade Policy.  I am
posting this message at the request of the sender.

Thank you Robert.
Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

dudevoir@bernoulli.Stanford.EDU (Glen P. Dudevoir) (04/28/89)

In article <1685@rpi.edu> jvictor@pawl.rpi.edu (Jonathan V. Fisher) writes:
>I've heard that the academic version upgrade is only $35 (+$.5.50) if
>the academic version of Word 3 was bought before a certain date.  If you
>are paying $50 for the upgrade you should be getting all the stuff a
>regular upgrade includes.  Though, I suppose that if you didn't reserve
>an academic upgrade by the deadline (the deadline for getting a regular
>upgrade for $50 instead of $75), the academic version might then cost $50.

I purchased my copy of the Academic edition of Word in late May 1988.
Just before I did so I observed an ad in MacWorld stating that
purchasers of Word would receive a free upgrade to the next version.
I asked the representives at our University store if this also applied
to the Academic edition and they assured me that it did.  I also
called customer service at Microsoft and they also assured me that the
free upgrade policy for the full edition and the academic editions
would be the same.  After checking I decided to go ahead and purchase
the Academic edition.  I just received my upgrade coupon and you
guessed it No Free Upgrade, No Free copy of SuperPaint 1.1 .  I called
customer support and they refuse to even consider honoring their
previous commitment, but what can you expect.  I would certainly have
waited the two months had I been given the correct information, since
the only reason I purchased the previous edition was to get the free
upgrade.

In article <13224@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu writes:
>Message 1/1  From Robert Rubinoff                         Apr 25 '89 at
>11:36 pm
>                         Re: Microsoft Word 4.0 Upgrade
>(message addressed to xxiaoye@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU)
>Posted-Date: Tue, 25 Apr 89 23:36:51 EDT
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
>I called Microsoft today about this issue.  Yes, the academic version
>does
>not include any manuals.  To get the manuals, you have to pay an extra
>$35.

They have absolutely got to be kidding. At this rate the upgraded
disks, which are exactly what the upgrade letter promises, the
manual cost and the shipping fee cost more than a new copy of the
academic edition.  Can anyone verify that you receive no manual
whatsoever? The Academic version I bought came with the reference
manual, but not the book with all the examples.

Thanks.  Glen

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (04/28/89)

In article <19@bernoulli.stanford.edu> dudevoir@bernoulli.stanford.edu (Glen P. Dudevoir) writes:

[... much deleted ...]
>guessed it No Free Upgrade, No Free copy of SuperPaint 1.1 .  I called
>customer support and they refuse to even consider honoring their
>previous commitment, but what can you expect.  I would certainly have

Microsoft suffered an 18% loss in stocks because it wants to deliver a
completely bug-free quality product to its valued customers.
Therefore, they are justified in putting the wrath and tranferring this
loss to its valued customers.

This is what all of us should expect.

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (04/28/89)

In article <13256@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) writes:
>Microsoft suffered an 18% loss in stocks because it wants to deliver a
>completely bug-free quality product to its valued customers.
>Therefore, they are justified in putting the wrath and tranferring this
>loss to its valued customers.
>
>This is what all of us should expect.

No, they suffered a loss in stock value because they are delivering one of
their most important products MONTHS LATE (as usual) and they are standing
on very skinny corporate legs in many other respects.

Competitors have just about caught up with Excel in quality.  Clearly,
competitors have caught up with Word in quality (but not quantity).

And I have this nifty little cartoon on my wall here which shows two hens
tending a nest that contains a small chick labeled "DOS" and an egg
labeled "OS/2", whose caption reads "And heaven only knows I'm fond of them
both, but my patience IS wearing a little thin!!"  The PS/2 is doing so
badly that IBM's stock, for chrissakes, is suffering.

Even if we should "expect" Microsoft's peevishness, we, as consumers,
don't deserve it.  You're forgetting Rule #1 about customers ...
--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511