[comp.sys.mac] WingZ Test Flight Question

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (04/27/89)

I got my WingZ test flight and was wondering what exactly is disabled
in the WingZ application that comes with this demo. In particular, I
can't seem to create any graphs of my own--all the items in the graph
menu are dimmed. Anyone know the story?

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

quinnt@rpics (Tom Quinn) (04/27/89)

In article <1857@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>I got my WingZ test flight and was wondering what exactly is disabled
>in the WingZ application that comes with this demo. In particular, I
>can't seem to create any graphs of my own--all the items in the graph
>menu are dimmed. Anyone know the story?

>Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst

As far as I know, the only disabled item in the Test Flight version is
the Save function.  To create a graph you need to first select the
graphing tool from the tools that appear to the left of the
spreadsheet (as I recall the icon looks like a small bar chart).

Thomas F. Quinn					quinnt@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Computer Science Department

rcbamw@eutrc3.UUCP (m.waucomont) (04/28/89)

In article <1857@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>I got my WingZ test flight and was wondering what exactly is disabled
>in the WingZ application that comes with this demo. In particular, I
>can't seem to create any graphs of my own--all the items in the graph
>menu are dimmed. Anyone know the story?

In the demo-files, they disable some things, but the application itselves
is a complete, full working version of WingZ!!! So just start the application
instead of one of the demo-files. You will get to see WingZ as it is!!!
Everything should work normally exept the 'save' option... If you cannot
get anything done, consult the Help file (cannot recall if it's included
with the demo.. I guess so...). Todd Wilson stated that, with the aid of
the help file, you can get everything done :-))

He said so in a reply to an article of mine, in which I critisized WingZ
after having run the testflight on my Plus. In the mean time, I have
visited the MacWorld expo in Amsterdam and seen WingZ on a IIcx.
The only conclusion I could draw from the differences in execution speed
(on a IIcx WingZ  __approaches__ the speed Informix promises in its ads,
but that's more a virtue of the machine, rather than WingZ...) is that
Informix aims at the 'high end' of the market.. only on a 68030/68882
machine (IIcx or SE/30..) you will get what you would normally expect
on any Mac after having read their ads...

Don't misinterpret my opinions... the ideas behind WingZ are good... but
the end-product...

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont

Am I the only one feeling bad about being forced to buy a IIcx or SE/30, just
to run a sophisticated Spreadsheet/presentation package on a bearable speed?