[comp.sys.mac] LaCie Hard Disks for Macs

jaynes@sequent.UUCP (Steve Jaynes) (04/28/89)

Has anyone anything good or bad to comment on LaCie Hard Disks.  I am
looking and one of their large (110Meg) for internal use in my SE.

I would appreciate any inputs.

Regards,
Steve Jaynes

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (04/28/89)

In article <15252@sequent.UUCP> jaynes@sequent.UUCP (Steve Jaynes) writes:
>Has anyone anything good or bad to comment on LaCie Hard Disks.  I am
>looking and one of their large (110Meg) for internal use in my SE.

	They're great. I've had two units; a 40MB (nominal) that I purchased
from LaCie, and an 80MB (nominal) that I built from a LaCie external drive
kit and a Quantum ProDrive 80 that I purchased elsewhere. The latter is
physically and functionally identical to LaCie's  own 80MB unit.

	Both drives are fast, extremely quiet, and I've had no problems with
either one. LaCie drives come with SilverLining, which is format/partition/
driver software, and it works on almost *any* SCSI hard disk (the only
drive I've not seen it work reliably on is a Rodime 140 internal). Also
included is SilverServer; it's software for remote modem and volume service
over Appletalk networks and phone lines.

	The drives seem to be reasonably well-built; the case is compact -
barely large enough to holddrive, power supply, and fan - so it's
very portable. Also included with the drive and software are cables (power
and SCSI) and a carrying case.

	Get one.

		--Rich

[I am just a satisfied customer of LaCie; no association with the company.]

 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 "She told me to make myself comfortable, so I pulled down my pants
 and sat in the pudding." -Emo Phillips