[comp.sys.mac] Pointing Device CDEV patch, ShowCInit

jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway) (04/28/89)

In article <22461@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:

>  I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be using the Pointing Device
>CDEV (which appeared in comp.binaries.mac a little while ago), so the
>following information may hopefully be of some use...

[instructions to patch Pointing Device to use ShowCInit to show its
startup icon]

>==========     .......     =============================================
>Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud
>==========   :::.. ..:::   INTERNET: thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com

The patch works, but it shows up a problem with ShowCInit.  ShowCInit draws
the icon at startup by blanking the whole 32*32 square, then drawing the
icon component of the ICN#.  The mask is ignored.  The result is so ugly
that I went back to the original.

Experimenting with installing ShowCInit into some other INITs showed the
same behaviour, so the problem is with ShowCInit, not Pointing Device.  Any
chance of the authors upgrading ShowCInit to use the mask, before ugly
white squares become a de facto standard?

(BTW, I *like* Pointing Device - even the fastest setting of the standard
Mouse cdev is too treacly.)
--
Richard Kennaway                SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
uucp:	...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk	Janet:	kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys