[comp.sys.mac] Internal modem for Mac II

cb2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Edward Batey, Jr.) (04/22/89)

Does anybody out there know if any internal modems exist for the Mac II?
If not, how about some recommendations on 2400 baud or greater external modems?

Ted Batey

emuroga@m.cs.uiuc.edu (04/26/89)

   Hayes makes a 2400 baud Nubus (internal) modem for the macII.
This modem is also accessible from other macs connected via appletalk.

Eisuke Muroga
Department of Computer Science                |    1304 W. Springfield Ave.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign    |    Urbana, IL  61801

ARPA		emuroga@m.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET		emuroga@uiuc.csnet
USENET		uiucdcs!uiucdcsm!emuroga
BITNET		emuroga%m.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/28/89)

In article <QYHtgay00WB48Wl1p9@andrew.cmu.edu> cb2o+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Charles Edward Batey, Jr.) writes:
>Does anybody out there know if any internal modems exist for the Mac II?
>If not, how about some recommendations on 2400 baud or greater external
>modems?

Well, here's one recommendation:

DON'T GET INTERNAL MAC MODEMS.

They're ridiculously overpriced, and until the Comm Manager shows its
long-overdue head there may yet be compatability problems with the more
obscure apps that use modems. They cost $400-$600, and they give you
nothing you can't get from a decent CMOS Hayes clone, many of which can
be found for $100-$120 in the back pages of various PC weeklies. The
other problem is, what do you do when you want to get a V.32 and resell
it? Nobody's going to want it, for all the reasons I listed.

Modems are the only devices that can (potentially) work equally well on
PCs and Macs just by plugging them in. Thus we pay much less than if
there had to be specifically-designed "MacModems". Don't throw away that
advantage.

That said, there are three or four modem boards I know of:
Epic Technologies
Hayes
MicroCom (?)
Prometheus

There may be others. I don't know if all of these are shipping.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (04/28/89)

In article <1782@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>In article <QYHtgay00WB48Wl1p9@andrew.cmu.edu> cb2o+@andrew.cmu.edu
>(Charles Edward Batey, Jr.) writes:
>>Does anybody out there know if any internal modems exist for the Mac II?
>>If not, how about some recommendations on 2400 baud or greater external
>>modems?
>
>Well, here's one recommendation:
>
>DON'T GET INTERNAL MAC MODEMS.
>
>They're ridiculously overpriced, and until the Comm Manager shows its
>long-overdue head there may yet be compatability problems with the more
>obscure apps that use modems. They cost $400-$600, and they give you
>nothing you can't get from a decent CMOS Hayes clone, many of which can
>be found for $100-$120 in the back pages of various PC weeklies. The
>other problem is, what do you do when you want to get a V.32 and resell
>it? Nobody's going to want it, for all the reasons I listed.
>
>Modems are the only devices that can (potentially) work equally well on
>PCs and Macs just by plugging them in. Thus we pay much less than if
>there had to be specifically-designed "MacModems". Don't throw away that
>advantage.
>
>That said, there are three or four modem boards I know of:
>Epic Technologies
>Hayes
>MicroCom (?)
>Prometheus
>
>There may be others. I don't know if all of these are shipping.
>
>---
>Alexis Rosen
>alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
>alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

I agree, pretty much.  Also, please note that Epic Technology appears to
be going or have gone out of business.  A store that I do some consulting
for ordered one of there Mac II modems to evaluate when it was first supposed
to be shipping.

8 months or so later (in October of 1988 or so) the modem arrived.  It worked
fine... as long as it was only configured for 8 bits/No Parity.  Any attempt
to use even parity caused total garbage.  Well, they promised us an eprom
upgrade, fro which we waited 3-4 months.  In January we requested an RMA number
to send it back which we were graciously given.  A week later we recieved a
call saying that the new EPROMS were ready, but we explained that we had
already decided to return the modem.  They said fine.

Well, we waited, and waited, and waited...  After 4 weeks, I called and was
told (for 2 solid weeks) that the "Paperwork is being proccessed".  Then I was
told that "Tom" the Payables Person (and it seems the backer of the company)
and the other people in the company had had a falling out.  They were trying
to arrange other backing, but maybe I would want to take action against Tom.

The following week the phones were unanswered.  The week after they were off
the hook.  This week, I get a message that the number has been changed, but
the tape doesnt give a new area code, and the new number is not an 800 one.

Bye-Bye $250 dollars.

Josh

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street