[comp.sys.mac] Full-Page monitors in 'landscape' mode ?

malone@cod.NOSC.MIL (John P. Malone) (04/28/89)

 I have questions for the Mac community regarding usage of upright,
'portrait' orientated, display monitors - the so-called Full Page
displays. Briefly, I'd like to know if you can turn these hummers
on their side and use them in a 'landscape' mode.

 I plan to upgrade to an SE/30 and then to big display monitor over
the next 12 months. I feel a gray scale full-page display will suit
my needs, but for other than word processing I'd sure like to use it
with the long axis in the horizontal position. This may be a personal
quirk, but my mental 'desk top' is wide & shallow. Not skinny & deep.
Plus my mouse moves left & right better than up & down - maybe thats
my wrist, not the mouse.

 Questions-
   1. Is their any software that allows rotation of the display by 90
      Deg. that is independent of any hardware considerations?
   2. Is there a software/hardware combination that will allow for the
      90 Deg. shift? Proprietary or product dependency is assumed.
   3. Can this scheme even be accomplished using conventional monitor
      video display/raster display electronics characteristics?

 Much thanks,
 r/ Pat
 e-mail to malone@cod.Nosc.MIL

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (04/28/89)

In article <1514@cod.NOSC.MIL> malone@cod.NOSC.MIL (John P. Malone) writes:

> I have questions for the Mac community regarding usage of upright,
>'portrait' orientated, display monitors - the so-called Full Page
>displays. Briefly, I'd like to know if you can turn these hummers
>on their side and use them in a 'landscape' mode.

You must have been reading too many articles about Xerox.  I don't think
any computer / monitor since the Altos has had this capability.

Gee, whiz, that was great stuff.  Has anyone still got the Smalltalk issue
of Byte?  (I probably do somewhere.)

So far as I know, CMU is still using a few Altos-es as print servers
for the 2 page-per-second Xerox laser printers ... both of which are over
10 years old.  Kind of humbling, I guess, but there was the price tag ...
--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (04/29/89)

> Gee, whiz, that was great stuff.  Has anyone still got the Smalltalk issue
> of Byte?  (I probably do somewhere.)

I have. August 1982 ????

> v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
>  v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511
>   v   sss  || joseph@ece007.ncsu.edu (Try this one first)
> -----------|| Standard disclaimers and all that . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Scott Bayes