[comp.sys.mac] DMCS upgrade policy, if any ?

taube@sm.luth.se (Lars-Gunnar Taube) (04/25/89)

Greetings !

As I am a relatively happy owner of a Macintosh II, and also
happen to be interested in enjoyable noise (music), I would
be happy to be able to run DMCS on my Mac. Unfortunately, I
bought DMCS 2.0 before I bought my Mac. Recent articles in this
newsgroup has lead me to believe that there exists a version
2.5, which runs on MacII.

What is the upgrade policy from Electronic Arts (if any)?

All pointers, hints, etc. appreciated.

lgt

(DMCS = Deluxe Music Construction Set)

--
Internet: taube@sm.luth.se                              Lars-Gunnar Taube
BITNET:   taube%sm.luth.se@kth.se                       Dept of Math & CS

> Recent articles in this
>newsgroup has lead me to believe that there exists a version
>2.5, which runs on MacII.
>
>What is the upgrade policy from Electronic Arts (if any)?

Call E.A. There is an upgrade to 2.5. I don't remember the details, but it's
something like $25 and one of the non-copy protected disks. They'll send you
2.5, which is now not CP.

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (04/26/89)

In article <255@my.sm.luth.se> Lars-Gunnar Taube <taube@my.sm.luth.se> writes:
>What is the upgrade policy from Electronic Arts (if any)?

It seems to me that upgrading software is generally a lot harder than it
should be.

  1) You have to know that an upgrade is available.
	This is relatively easy, if you're talking about products
	like MS-Word or MacWrite. Almost everybody knows someone
	else who is using the program.

  2) You have find out who distributes the upgrade.
	The company who used to make your product sold it to
	a bigger company. How are you going to know that this
	happened if the bigger company is not interested in
	sending an upgrade notice?

  3) You have find out how much the upgrade costs.
	You might be entitled to a free upgrade, but if no one
	tells you, how are you going to know about it?

  4) You have to make sure that they remember to send send the upgrade.
	If you are lucky, they send the upgrade within a month
	from the order and the post office doesn't loose it...

I'm not willing to do the above for every software product that
our university bought. I'm sure the university would be willing
to pay a company to keep our software up to date. So far the only
two upgrade notices/free upgrades that I remember are FoxBase and
MatLab (and we have a lot of software). We've mailed all our
registration cards, but I guess the effort has been pretty much
wasted.

I'd really like to see a company that would take care of all our
upgrades for a fair price. The service might resemble a book-of-
the-month-club. They would send us their catalog of upgrades
every month or two and automatically upgrade all our software
unless we told them to skip the upgrade.

So where would their profit come from? They could charge a yearly
fee for the upgrades and they might take a percentage from the
upgrade price and they might even sell the software.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |
^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

peggyl@ashtate.UUCP (Peggy Lerch) (04/26/89)

A few months ago I was told that a version upgrade that would allow
the software to run on my SE/30 would cost $33 and that all I needed
to do was send the disks and a check to Electronic Arts, Direct
Sales Department.  You might want to verify for yourself (their
phone number is 415-571-7171).

Peggy Lerch
Ashton-Tate

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (04/27/89)

In article <21576@santra.UUCP> jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
>It seems to me that upgrading software is generally a lot harder than it
>should be.
>
>  1) You have to know that an upgrade is available.
>
>  2) You have find out who distributes the upgrade.
>
>  3) You have find out how much the upgrade costs.
>
>  4) You have to make sure that they remember to send send the upgrade.

   +) You have to make sure that the upgrade will work on your
      system.

With the SE/30 and Mac IIcx, people will be upgrading in order to
get working versions of software, and not every company has been
able to test their software on "typical" systems using the most
modern hardware and software (I have a number of products that
die on my Mac II; some work with color off, some work with
the cache off, some only break when MacroMaker is installed,
some just die at random).

>I'd really like to see a company that would take care of all our
>upgrades for a fair price. The service might resemble a book-of-

This is a great idea.

Also note that some magazines have started upgrade columns.  I
know that one of the electronic music magazines has a column
mentioning upgrades available for various products.

The biggest problem may be getting the dealers to make the
information available through more channels.  I know of a
number of products I own that I didn't know had been upgraded
until I mentioned a problem in public and was told I needed
to upgrade.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (04/29/89)

Actually, the funniest thing about DMCS upgrades is that retailers keep on
mixing up the various versions of DMCS!  I bought version 1.0 when it came
out.  When version 2.0 was around, I had a hard time contacting Electronic
Arts for upgrade info, but I saw DMCS 2.0 at a local store priced as if it
was version 1.0 (i.e., a discount off 1.0's list price).  Since it was
pretty cheap, I bought version 2.0 instead of upgrading.

When I found out that version 2.5 works on a Mac II, I wanted to upgrade,
but again, I never heard anything from EA.  Two weeks ago I was wondering
through a software store which typically charges close to list and I saw
DMCS 2.0 for about $40!  Guess what - I bought it again.  This time it was a
bit more expensive to buy than to upgrade, but I got version 2.5 that same
day.

Christopher Chow
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| US Mail:   202C Grenadier Drive, Liverpool, NY 13090                      |
| Phone:     Work: 1-315-456-3214,  Home: 1-315-622-0362                    |
| Delphi:    chow2                                                          |