[comp.sys.mac] Tetris

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (03/08/89)

Standard disclaimer for all people who flame before they think:

          THIS IS A JOKE!   CHILL OUT!

We think we have figured out what Tetris is.  Tetris appears to be a very
intricate and deadly virus.  It showed up here on campus a few weeks ago
and since has proliferated to almost every hard drive in sight.  Everyone
I know has a copy of it in some form or another (it has a DA and APPL
manifestation).  Well, we also have nVIR just as bad.  That's not what
scares me.  What scares me is that everyone sees Tetris shapes in their
sleep, when they are bored, when they are talking, they doodle them on
paper, they hum the music... it is infecting PEOPLE TOO!!!

BTW, just in case you weren't listening before,

            this is a JOKE!  DON'T FLAME ME!

-ajw

Andy J. Williams '90   |           <hello>           | ack@dartvax.dartmouth.edu
31 North Main Street   |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |        Systems Programmer
Hanover NH, 03755      |     You kill -9 my ppid     | Kiewit Computation Center
603-643-2177           |        prepare to vi        |         Dartmouth College

mbk@hpsemc.HP.COM (Miles Kehoe) (03/11/89)

No flame.. but does this imply that Dartmouth has tetris
installed all over campus and only has bought one or two copies?
Boy, I'd never advertise that about any campus/site!

mbk

jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua M. Alden) (03/12/89)

In article <620022@hpsemc.HP.COM> mbk@hpsemc.HP.COM (Miles Kehoe) writes:
>No flame.. but does this imply that Dartmouth has tetris
>installed all over campus and only has bought one or two copies?
>Boy, I'd never advertise that about any campus/site!
>
>mbk

Hi.

    I work at Kiewit Computing Center at Dartmouth, and Tetris is most
certainly not available to the public off of any file servers that we
maintain.  If it is going around campus, it's either being bought or
pirated.

-Josh Alden, Joshua.Alden@dartmouth.edu

meese@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Tim Meese) (04/19/89)

I know that this has been asked before, but could someone tell me if there
is a public-domain version of Tetris for the Mac?  I know that there is
a commercial version out, and I tried looking in the sumex-aim archives
for a PD version and found nothing.  I can't believe there isn't a PD
version for the Mac as I have seen a couple of PD versions on the PC
already.

--
Tim Meese                            \\\\     Usenet: meese@vax1.acs.udel.edu
Electrical Engineering Department    ////       UUCP: ...!udel!udccvax1!meese

pugh@panache.cs.umd.edu (Bill Pugh) (04/19/89)

In article <3354@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> meese@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Tim Meese) writes:
>I know that this has been asked before, but could someone tell me if there
>is a public-domain version of Tetris for the Mac?  I know that there is
>a commercial version out, and I tried looking in the sumex-aim archives
>for a PD version and found nothing.  I can't believe there isn't a PD
>version for the Mac as I have seen a couple of PD versions on the PC
>already.

First off, if somebody gave me a "public-domain" version of Tetris, my
guess would be that it was a pirated copy. Secondly, any public-domain
clone of Tetris would be strongly infringing on the copyright of the
original version. Thirdly, if you like the game, why not buy it and reward
those people who spend the effort to create good games.  Its cheap, and
part of the profits go to support the Moscow computer club.

	Bill Pugh

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (04/20/89)

In article <16987@mimsy.UUCP> pugh@panache.cs.umd.edu (Bill Pugh) writes:
> In article <3354@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> meese@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Tim Meese) writes:
> >I know that this has been asked before, but could someone tell me if there
> >is a public-domain version of Tetris for the Mac?
>
> First off, if somebody gave me a "public-domain" version of Tetris, my
> guess would be that it was a pirated copy. Secondly, any public-domain
> clone of Tetris would be strongly infringing on the copyright of the
> original version.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason that TETRIS exists in so many
incarnations, including PC, Mac, UNIX curses, Suntools, Amiga, and video
arcade versions, is that as a "soviet production-destruction tool" (:-) it's
NOT covered by our U. S. copyright laws?  I certainly know that as of two
years ago, the U. S. S. R. did not respect American (although maybe Berne)
copyright; and by necessity I would think we'd return the "favor."

Certainly a version which used code from the Spectrum Holobyte version, or
which resembled its interface _not in the game_ (which is Soviet intellectual
property, and hence--whether we like it or not--public property here) but in
the _implementation_ (backdrops, sounds, even possibly image patterns) would
be copyright infringement.  But not copying the concept, I believe.

Somebody please correct or confirm this if they're in-the-know about inter-
national (C)-law conventions.

> Thirdly, if you like the game, why not buy it and reward
> those people who spend the effort to create good games.  Its cheap, and
> part of the profits go to support the Moscow computer club.

I agree entirely.

--
     _  _|\____    Nick Jackiw | Visual Geometry Project | Math Department
   / /_/   O>  \   ------------+-------------------------+ Swarthmore College
    \_Guernica_/   ------------+-------------------------+                 USA

meese@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Tim Meese) (04/29/89)

In article <2744@carthage.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@carthage.UUCP (Nick Jackiw) writes:

>In article <16987@mimsy.UUCP> pugh@panache.cs.umd.edu (Bill Pugh) writes:
>
>> Thirdly, if you like the game, why not buy it and reward
>> those people who spend the effort to create good games.  Its cheap, and
>> part of the profits go to support the Moscow computer club.
>
>I agree entirely.
>
>> 	Bill Pugh

It was never my intention to find an *illegal* copy of the game, and therefore
shortchange it's authors.  I just thought that if a somewhat crude facsimile of
the game existed, I could try it out and then buy Spectrum Holobyte's product
if I liked it.  I also agree that software developers should be rewarded for
their efforts and ideas.