[comp.sys.mac] Academic Word 4.0

ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) (04/28/89)

Our College Bookstore received a copy of the update of the Academic Version
of Word 4.0 for the Macintosh on April 24th.  It contains the following items:
1.  3 diskettes: the Program, Utilities 1, and Utilities 2 containing
SuperPaint 1.1, AutoMac III (2.1), and Word Finder.
2.  Microsoft Word User's Guide ( actually the Reference to Microsoft Word),
455 pages
3.  Getting Started and Learning, 189 pages
4.  Quick Reference Guide, 22 pages
5.  AutoMac III manual, 70 pages
6.  Word Finder Manual, 22 pages
7.  SuperPaint 1.1 Manual, 112 pages
8.  Microsoft Word Sampler, 15 pages
9.  Upgrade coupon for SuperPaint 2.0 for $50

     I hope this answers the questions about what is included in the Academic
VErsion upgrade.

dudevoir@bernoulli.Stanford.EDU (Glen P. Dudevoir) (04/29/89)

In article <2609@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) writes:
>Our College Bookstore received a copy of the update of the Academic Version
>of Word 4.0 for the Macintosh on April 24th.  It contains the following items:
>1.  3 diskettes: the Program, Utilities 1, and Utilities 2 containing
>SuperPaint 1.1, AutoMac III (2.1), and Word Finder.
>2.  Microsoft Word User's Guide ( actually the Reference to Microsoft Word),
>455 pages
>3.  Getting Started and Learning, 189 pages
>4.  Quick Reference Guide, 22 pages
>5.  AutoMac III manual, 70 pages
>6.  Word Finder Manual, 22 pages
>7.  SuperPaint 1.1 Manual, 112 pages
>8.  Microsoft Word Sampler, 15 pages
>9.  Upgrade coupon for SuperPaint 2.0 for $50
>
>     I hope this answers the questions about what is included in the Academic
>VErsion upgrade.

I called Microsoft (again) about the upgrade to the Academic Edition.
According to the information center the upgrade includes:
2 diskettes -- the program disk and utilities disk
a pocket guide
a coupon to purchase the manuals for $35.00
a coupon to purchase SuperPaint directly from Silicon beach
(she didn't know the price or the version offered on the coupon)

This agrees with information previously posted.

Evidently the information center doesn't know what is being shipped
in some cases. I wouldn't count on getting everything listed in
Ken's message.

Glen

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (04/29/89)

.
.     I hope this answers the questions about what is included in the Academic
.VErsion upgrade.

Wellll, not really.  There seems to be a difference between what you get if
you upgrade, and what you get if you buy it off-the-shelf.

I just spoke to MS Customer Support today...I haven't sent in my upgrade
application (academic version) yet...but from what they said, all I get
(for my $35 plus 6% California tax and $5.50 shipping) is the software.
I will supposedly receive ANOTHER order form with the diskettes, which
I can use to order the documentation for ANOTHER $35.

Grumble.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

luisc@ure.CS.ORST.EDU (Craig Luis) (04/29/89)

In article <2609@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) writes:
>Our College Bookstore received a copy of the update of the Academic Version
>of Word 4.0 for the Macintosh on April 24th.  It contains the following items:
> ...list of includes deleted

I called MicroSoft because I thought I had the Academic Version of Word.
According to MicroSoft, the Academic Version contains only the Software and
a coupon to order the manuals.  Which means your bookstore is selling the
full version for a really good price, which is the same thing that happens
here.  My reason for finding this out was that my upgrade coupon said
Academic Versions were not upgradable by the coupon I had.  However, MS
confirmed that mine was indeed the full version and I should send in for
my free update.

Craig Luis, Macintosh Support                Internet: luisc@coil.cs.orst.edu
Oregon State University - Computer Science
Corvallis, Oregon 97331-3902		     (503) 754-3273
"That's the news, and I'm outta here!" -Dennis Miller, SNL