[comp.sys.mac] FoxBase vs 4D functional comparision request

neruda@beech.cis.ohio-state.edu (Steve Neruda) (04/22/89)

How does FoxBase compare with 4D functionality wise?  How difficult is it to
  implement a multiuser database using Foxbase (do you have to do all the file
  and record locking or does foxbase handle that, is foxbase still fast
  running multiuser?).  Can you send information to external ports from within
  the program?  What about import export capabilities?

I would appreciate any info, please no warfare please, I don't mean to
  restart any of the recent controversy.

Also I was told by our local (and less than helpful) software dealer
  that you can only purchase the multiuser version through the company.
  Is this true?  Can I get a demo instead?  Does the regular documentation
  contain information on multiuser considerations?

			Thanks for the help

				steve neruda (neruda@cis.ohio-state.edu)

ps.  standard generic disclaimer applies

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (04/22/89)

In article <44629@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Steve Neruda <neruda@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
#>Also I was told by our local (and less than helpful) software dealer
#>  that you can only purchase the multiuser version through the company.
#>  Is this true?

Definitely not true. 800 Software quoted me (discounted)
prices for both single-user and multiuser versions of
Foxbase on the Mac.

Steve Goldfield

xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) (04/22/89)

In article <44629@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Steve Neruda writes:
>How does FoxBase compare with 4D functionality wise?  How difficult is it to
>  implement a multiuser database using Foxbase (do you have to do all the file
>  and record locking or does foxbase handle that,
We were programming the single-user version for about a half year, before
upgrading to the multi-user version.  While the amount of recoding needed
was fairly minor, it certainly required some additional work to migrate the
applications for multi-uesr operation.  You need to set locks for some
commands to work, while other operations do automatic locking.  It is not
completely transparent (I do not believe that 4D is, either.)

> is foxbase still fast
>  running multiuser?).
Not nearly as fast.  We were very impressed initially with the performance
of FoxBase+/Mac, but the multi-user version has so far been rather
disappointing.  Running FoxBase off a LocalTalk-commected fileserver, I find
the performance slower but adequate in exclusive (single-user) mode, and
bad impaired in multi-user mode.  I have been told that lack of index caching
is to blame;  if so, I hope Fox can overcome this in future versions.  I have
some reports that take 5 times longer to run under multi-user mode (as opposed
to single-user off the file server.)

>Can you send information to external ports from within
>  the program?
Supports sending data out the serial port.  In fact, we print mailing label to
the ImageWriter this fast.  Works well.

>What about import export capabilities?
Tab & comma-delimited files, and SDF.  More would be nice, but not essential.

>Also I was told by our local (and less than helpful) software dealer
>  that you can only purchase the multiuser version through the company.
>  Is this true?  Can I get a demo instead?  Does the regular documentation
>  contain information on multiuser considerations?

We got our upgrade through Fox itself.  No real problems there.  I believe the
new (rewritten) documentation includes the chapter on multi-user operation.

As usual, these are my opinions.  Other comtributions welcome.
--
Bill Douglass, TCADA

"I dreamed I was to take a test,
 in a Dairy Queen, on another planet."      L. Anderson

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/29/89)

In article <44629@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Steve Neruda
<neruda@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>How does FoxBase compare with 4D functionality wise?  How difficult is it to
>  implement a multiuser database using Foxbase (do you have to do all the file
>  and record locking or does foxbase handle that, is foxbase still fast
>  running multiuser?).

Both Fox and 4D claim that they can automatically run single-user code in
multi-user mode. In both cases, you'd have to be crazy to do that. The
performance hits would be terrible. In Fox, some things won't work right
if you wrote things without thinking about the move to multi-user. For example,
    Replace field1 With "data"
won't work in m-u mode because the record isn't autolocked, but
    Replace Next 1 field1 With "data"
which does the same thing in single-user mode, will work properly in m-u mode.

Also, for Fox you'd have to write an error-handler to deal with situations
where you fail to achieve a lock. This is not difficult and there's an
example in the manual which works verbatim.

The nice thing about Fox is that all m-u code will work in a single-user
implementation. All of the m-u stuff becomes No-ops. Very convenient.

As for speed, that's a relative issue. It's very slow compared to single-user.
It's lightning-quick compared to all other Mac databases (not to mention the
only really safe one).

Version 2.0, which just went into Beta, is drastically improved in this
respect, but it's still much slower than single-user.

>  Can you send information to external ports from within
>  the program?  What about import export capabilities?

There's a built-in capability to send stuff out a serial port. It lets you
specify bps, parity, and handshake. This works very very well for printing
to high-speed serial printers with no Mac driver, for example. It can't
recieve stuff, but writing an XCMD to do that won't be too bad if you have
to do it.

Import and Export formats supported: Delimited text, "Basic" delimited text,
and SDF. Of course, any dbf file works without a need to import.

>Also I was told by our local (and less than helpful) software dealer
>  that you can only purchase the multiuser version through the company.

Bull. Try Mac Connection.

Demos can be had for $5 from Fox, but the accompanying documentation is
poor (but it will give you a taste of what Fox can do). The manuals for
single-user cover the commands for m-u mode.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)