[comp.sys.mac] Imagewriter II paper jams

engber@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) (07/20/88)

I'm sure a lot of people have this problem. I have one of the earlier
Imagewriter IIs and I'm constantly geting paper jams. It has been getting
worse lately. Is there any inexpensive solution? (something I can do myself)

The jams occur at the paper clamps, but they're cause by the paper not
wanting to feed easily under the paper bail. I use good quality paper (20#)

Any suggestions would be appreciated (please use email)

-ME

psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (07/20/88)

Good news for all of us with earlier versions of ImageWriter II (the ones
with the metal foil for detecting paper out. Apple has a fix. You should
be able to take the printer to a dealer and have a whole bunch of parts
replaced. We have had 3 done and the difference is remarkable. In 4 weeks
we have not had a single paper jam. The paper even loads easily. It cost
us $40 Cdn plus one hour of labour. Sorry I don't have the kit number. I
will try to get it.

Hope this helps

Richard Crispin
Dept. of Psychology             Bitnet: psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo          Unix  : psych@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1
(519)885-1211 ext 2879

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (07/21/88)

In article <6022@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
>I'm sure a lot of people have this problem.

YES!

>I have one of the earlier Imagewriter IIs and I'm constantly geting paper jams.

The only technique we've found to help is to *ALWAYS* throw the printer
offline and hit FORM FEED before you remove your printout.  Remove the
paper by tearing it off at that point.  Trying to remove a printout by
pulling the perforations apart as soon as it finishes printing almost
always results in a jam on our Imagewriter II.

Speaking of early Imagewriter II's (I have one at home and one at work), the
printheads on both machines went out with very low "mileage".  I've heard
that this was another common problem...anyone else with similar experiences?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director   :: System Operator, "The CallBoard"
:: Department of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  :: - Serving the performing arts -
:: Internet: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU :: (315) 947-6414, 300/1200 baud, 8N1
::        Voice: (315) 341-2138        :: UUCP ...sunybcs!oswego!cboard!ostroff
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (07/21/88)

>Speaking of early Imagewriter II's (I have one at home and one at work), the
>printheads on both machines went out with very low "mileage".  I've heard
>that this was another common problem...anyone else with similar experiences?

How can you tell if your print head is worn out?

-Ted

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (07/25/88)

In article <870191@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

>>Speaking of early Imagewriter II's (I have one at home and one at work), the
>>printheads on both machines went out with very low "mileage".
>
>How can you tell if your print head is worn out?

In my case it was easy.  One of the pins was jammed in the extended position
and actually tore the ribbon when you tried to print.  The machine at work
had a pin jammed in and showed missing dots when you printed characters or
a white line in graphics.  You can get a printhead from your dealer and
pop it in yourself for around $90...

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/26/88)

In article <886@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
> In my case it was easy.  One of the pins was jammed in the extended position
> and actually tore the ribbon when you tried to print.  The machine at work
> had a pin jammed in and showed missing dots when you printed characters or
> a white line in graphics.  You can get a printhead from your dealer and
> pop it in yourself for around $90...

there is an outfit here in town that fixes print-heads (of all kind)
by mail for a fraction of the cost of a new one .... it's been a while
since I posted the name, address, phone-number in an article to this
group... somone else might have the information still online ...

Disclaimers: ...nothing but a customer relationship ....

--
-------------------->PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS<---------------------
(INTERNET)	werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu

thecloud@pnet06.cts.com (Ken Mcleod) (07/26/88)

>>Speaking of early Imagewriter II's (I have one at home and one at work), the
>>printheads on both machines went out with very low "mileage".  I've heard
>>that this was another common problem...anyone else with similar experiences?
>
>How can you tell if your print head is worn out?

You'll know right away when the pins start misfiring-- you'll get
spotty printouts, with entire sections of lines missing. If you're
really unlucky, the pin sticks out and shreds the ribbon as it gets
pulled over the head.

I'm working on my second printhead now... I have an "original" ice-white
ImageWriter II, practically an antique, although it had very low mileage
when the above-mentioned symptoms started. At the time, I asked around
on local bulletin boards, and the consensus was that problems with
Imagewriter II's (especially the printhead) were quite common. Someone
on the net mentioned that Apple is offering a "kit" to replace certain
[faulty? defective?] Imagewriter II parts... can anyone provide more
information?

Ken McLeod =========================     .......     ======================
UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!thecloud     :.     .:    Chief Weapons of UNIX:
ARPA: crash!pnet06!thecloud@nosc.mil   :::.. ..:::   "Fear, surprise, and
INET: thecloud@pnet06.cts.com             ////        ruthless efficiency."

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (07/27/88)

How long do ImageWriter II's last before they have trouble?  I've printed
about 5,000 sheets with mine so far.

-Ted

jholland@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (jholland) (04/29/89)

I've develped a cure for the Imagewriter II jamming the first page under
the paper bail which I'd like to share with the Net.

I tried 20 pound paper, but that did not help much.  A while ago, someone
suggested sticking a Post-It note to the top of the page and using it as
a handle to pull the page through.  I don't have Post-It Notes handy
but I do have Post-It Note tape.  The roll says it is used for copy
blockout and type correction work.  I use it for easy to remove labels.

I make two small tabs by folding two two inch pieces over on themselves
then sticking each one on top of the page in line with the rollers on
the paper bail, sandwiching the edge of the page between the two ends
of the tape.  I fold the tape so one end is longer than the other and
put this end on the back of the page.

The tabs extend above the page about 5/8 of an inch so when the printer
rolls the paper back before printing, the tabs are still under the rollers.
Then when the paper moves forward, the tabs guide the paper through the bail.
The semi sticky glue allows me to use these tabs over and over again.

This has solved the problem for me.  I sometimes get 'squashed' lines,
but I don't have to waste a page by doing a form feed before printing.

---

jholland@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (jholland) (04/30/89)

I'm sure the Scotch tape people would be quite happy if you went out
and paid 5 Bucks for a 700 inch roll of tape when you only need 5 inches
to try this. Why don't you just make the tabs from the glued end of a
Post-It note?  Everybody's got some of those around. (Except me.)

I'd tell you this even if I did own stock in 3M.

All standard disclaimers apply.

---

John Holland