[comp.sys.mac] The new Mac virus

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (04/29/89)

I recent posting of Disinfectant 1.1 on comp.binaries.mac states that it
will identify the new MEV# virus which emerged in Belgium "about three weeks
ago." I haven't seen anything about MEV# on this group. Would some informed
person be so kind as to post some information about it?

Ron

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (04/29/89)

In article <12526@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
>I recent posting of Disinfectant 1.1 on comp.binaries.mac states that it
>will identify the new MEV# virus which emerged in Belgium "about three weeks
>ago." I haven't seen anything about MEV# on this group. Would some informed
>person be so kind as to post some information about it?
>
>Ron

The MEV# virus is just another nVIR clone.  I found out about
it in MacWEEK about a month ago.  Works just the same as nVIR B.

Someone should copyright these viruses; this clone business is
getting out of hand! :-)

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (04/29/89)

In article <12526@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
>I recent posting of Disinfectant 1.1 on comp.binaries.mac states that it
>will identify the new MEV# virus which emerged in Belgium "about three weeks

MEV# is nVIR renamed to MEV#.  There is also a report of a similar renaming
called AIDS, though I haven't seen examples of it.

(shameless plug)

Virex 1.4 kills both MEV# and AIDS, and we updated a couple of weeks ago.

--
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  ...!uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP
"The NY Times is read by the people who run the country.  The Washington Post

lipa@polya.Stanford.EDU (William J. Lipa) (05/01/89)

In article <509@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>Virex 1.4 kills both MEV# and AIDS, and we updated a couple of weeks ago.

So does Disinfectant 1.1, and it's free. You can pick it up from the
/info-mac/virus directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

Bill Lipa