[comp.sys.mac] PICT file format

colm@ukfca1 (Colm Gavin) (04/27/89)

Hi everybody,
	I wonder if somebody out there can help me. Sorry if this has come up
before, I don't normally subscribe to this newsgroup. We have some colour
images (in our own in-house 8-bit format) which we would like to transfer to a
PICT type file on the Mac.

The problem we face is that Mac files seem to have a 128 byte header containing
things such as the filename. In order to construct a file to be transfered to
the Mac we need to know what to put in there. Leaving them blank doesn't seem
to be very successful! We also need to know how to store the PICT resource,
what format it is and how it is stored in the rest of the file?

I would be grateful if anybody could email me any documentation that describes
this or could give a pointer to a good reference book(s).

Failing this, does anybody know of any utilities which convert from, for
example, Sun 8-bit rasterfile format to a Mac readable format (preferably
PICT) ?

My email address should be:
	gavin_c%ukfca1@sj.ate.slb.com

If this doesn't get through, one of the following might work:
	..{amdahl,decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!ukfca1!gavin_c
	gavin_c@uk.ate.slb.com
	gavin_c@ukfca1.uk.ate.slb.com
	colm@ukfca3.uk.ate.slb.com
	gavin_c%ukfca1@sjs.ate.slb.com

Thanks in advance...

Colm Gavin,
Schlumberger Technologies, ATE Division, England.
Phone: +44-202-893535

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (04/30/89)

I can't tell you what the PICT format is exactly, but if you were to
copy your picture to the clipboard and go to a program that edits PICT
files and create a new PICT file and paste the image in, that should
work.
Also, if you just want to create a PICT resource with your picture, copy
it and go to ResEdit.  Create a new file and if you paste your picture
into the file, that should work to create the PIC resource.

The Weesh
(Mike Darweesh)
md32@andrew.cmu.edu
md32@andrew.bitnet
...!{harvard,ucbvax}!andrew.cmu.edu!md32

turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) (05/01/89)

In article <404@coriander.UUCP> colm@ukfca1 (Colm Gavin) writes:
>We have some colour
>images (in our own in-house 8-bit format) which we would like to transfer to a
>PICT type file on the Mac.
>
>The problem we face is that Mac files seem to have a 128 byte header containing
>things such as the filename. In order to construct a file to be transfered to
>the Mac we need to know what to put in there. Leaving them blank doesn't seem
>to be very successful! We also need to know how to store the PICT resource,
>what format it is and how it is stored in the rest of the file?

Actually, PICT files contain a 512 byte header, which can contain just
about anything, such as image description, copyright, etc.  The rest of
the file is a Picture (aka PICT) and is described in Inside Macintosh
volume 5.

The easiest way to generate the rest of the file is to put all of the
data into a PixMap, then call OpenPicture(), CopyBits(), etc.

Alternatively, you can try to do the same yourself.  Normally, images
are compressed by Quickdraw, but there seems to be both a BitsRect
(rectangle clipped copybits) opcode as well as a PackBitsRect
(rectangle clipped copybits, packed with Copybits) opcode (pp. V-96 -
V-105).  Try the BitsRect opcode and see what happens.
--
Ken Turkowski @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
Internet: turk@apple.com