[comp.sys.mac] 380 MB SCSI hard disk for sale

P.PITNER@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (philip pitner) (04/26/89)

For Sale:

   380 MB (unformatted) external SCSI hard disk
   (12 month warranty, NDR3380S, <28ms access)
   with formatting software, scsi cable, manual

   New drive price... $2,500

   Note: two drives for sale

Contact p.pitner@hamlet.stanford.edu

This is a very reliable drive at a great price!

-------

cmkuo@cs.utexas.edu (Chin-Ming Kuo) (04/26/89)

In article <12489094353.14.P.PITNER@Hamlet.Stanford.EDU> P.PITNER@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (philip pitner) writes:
||For Sale:
||   380 MB (unformatted) external SCSI hard disk
||   (12 month warranty, NDR3380S, <28ms access)
||   with formatting software, scsi cable, manual
||   New drive price... $2,500
||   Note: two drives for sale

This particular model is EXACTLY the same liquidated by Newbury
several weeks ago. Here is a partial listing from the original
posting:
>NDR3380s	380 mb.		28 ms.		SCSI		$1095.00
>NDR4380s	380 mb.		19 ms.		SCSI		$1395.00

They are also new and with 1 year warranty.

To make it an external drive, you need a disk enclosure ( <$150), a
SCSI cable (<$10), and a formatting software. It can easily be shown
that forall X ( X = cost of the formatter ),
	$1095 + $150 + $10 + X << $2500

Buyer beware!

--
Chin-Ming Kuo
cmkuo@cs.utexas.edu

pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) (04/27/89)

From article <12489094353.14.P.PITNER@Hamlet.Stanford.EDU>, by P.PITNER@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (philip pitner):
>    380 MB (unformatted) external SCSI hard disk
>    (12 month warranty, NDR3380S, <28ms access)
>    with formatting software, scsi cable, manual
>
>    New drive price... $2,500
> This is a very reliable drive at a great price!

Warning all:
	Newbury Data Systems (makers of the NDR3380S) has recently
	unloaded their entire stock of drives for much less than that.

	I purchase a NDR4380S from them for $1395,  I believe the 3380S
	(a slower drive) was going for $1195 or $1295.  Needless to say,
	this seems to be less than "a great price!"

	(Just as a side note, I am very happy with my 4380S,  I can
	 reccommend them wholeheartedly,  I just can't imagine paying
	 Mr. Pitner more than what Newbury is selling them for :-( ).
--
Paul Traina, yet another human residing in Santa Barbara, California
play:  pst@nessus.sba.ca.us  Chief Tax-Writeoff, Ringworld Construction Co.

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/30/89)

In article <12489094353.14.P.PITNER@Hamlet.Stanford.EDU>
P.PITNER@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (philip pitner) writes:
>For Sale:
>   380 MB (unformatted) external SCSI hard disk
>   (12 month warranty, NDR3380S, <28ms access)
>   with formatting software, scsi cable, manual
>
>   New drive price... $2,500

It's a little late for April's Fools. You are joking, right?

These are the same discontinued drives that were for sale last month for
$1095. You want **how much**?????

Oh. I see. The external case and software is worth $1400, right?

Give us a break. :-(

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (05/01/89)

In article <12489094353.14.P.PITNER@Hamlet.Stanford.EDU>, P.PITNER@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (philip pitner) writes:

> For Sale:
>
>    380 MB (unformatted) external SCSI hard disk
>    (12 month warranty, NDR3380S, <28ms access)
>    with formatting software, scsi cable, manual

>    New drive price... $2,500

>    Note: two drives for sale

> Contact p.pitner@hamlet.stanford.edu

> This is a very reliable drive at a great price!

	I bought just such a drive last month, brand-new, for $1,095
	(and there may be more) - I wonder how much the drive is worth
	second-hand ... ?!?