[comp.sys.mac] QuickDraw hardware acceleration

flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) (04/30/89)

RasterOps has come out with a board for MacII's that is a QuickDraw accelerator.It is called the 'ColorBoard 118' and is supposed to speed up QuickDraw
60 times!!! It seems to be way over priced, $3195,in my opinion. Anyway to
make a short question long, why doesn't Apple finally put some graphic(s)
chips into its Mac line? Seems to me that a graphics accelerator would be a
fantastic selling point considering what an Amgia or Atari ST can do in the
way of speed with graphics intensive applications. Why not, Apple? I don't
think it would cost you too much would it? ( mabye the wrong button to push...)
I would much rather have fast graphics than sound for example if a trade off
would need to be made(which should not be necessary, look at the Amiga!)

NO I DO NOT OWN AN AMIGA OR AN ATARI! I have a MACII thank you very much!
Give us something to smoke an Amiga with Apple!!!
DISCLAIMER:  None needed, none accepted!
REMEMBER: Innovation comes from lack of maturity.
Scott Flatman.
INTERNET:  flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu
UUCP: {tektronics, hp-pcd}!orstcs!ladder.cs.orst.edu!flatmas

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (05/01/89)

In article <10292@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
>Anyway to
>make a short question long, why doesn't Apple finally put some graphic(s)
>chips into its Mac line?

There are persistent rumors that Apple is planning to do this on future
versions of their machines (using an AMD29000 as the graphics processor).
Your guess is as good as mine as to the veracity of these rumors [or how
much such a machine will cost :-)].  If the other rumors about outline
fonts and other PostScript-like features in QuickDraw2 are true, such
speedups gained by using a dedicated graphics processor will probably
be welcome (judging by the *relative* slowness of Display PostScript
on machines without such a processor).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |