[comp.sys.mac] Modifying International Resources

goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) (04/27/89)

I've been trying to change some of the items in International Resources
for instance, the date to yy-mm-dd format.  I'm using ResEdit 1.3d1, and
I'm careful to work with a copy of the System file.  The problem is that
none of my applications recognizes that a change has been made.  For instance,
Word uses the m/d/y format when I ask it to insert the date.  When I go back
and examine the System file with ResEdit, my changes appear as I made them.
Any ideas to help me get this to work would be much appreciated. Thanks!
-Goz (goz@ucsfvm.ucsf.edu or goz@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu)

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (04/28/89)

In article <1871@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) writes:
> I've been trying to change some of the items in International Resources
> for instance, the date to yy-mm-dd format.  I'm using ResEdit 1.3d1, and
> I'm careful to work with a copy of the System file.  The problem is that
> none of my applications recognizes that a change has been made.  For instance,
> Word uses the m/d/y format when I ask it to insert the date.  When I go back
> and examine the System file with ResEdit, my changes appear as I made them.
> Any ideas to help me get this to work would be much appreciated. Thanks!
> -Goz (goz@ucsfvm.ucsf.edu or goz@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu)

	You are doing the right thing, however you have discovered one of my
favorite complaints about Mac Programmers (I can bitch, I'm one too..) and
that is that most of them don't realize that there is a word OUTSIDE the U.S.
Even though Apple has given them all the tools to make their software
compatible for all environments, they don't take advantage of them!  So you
can edit those resources to your hearts content - it won't help! (at least not
in Word and a lot of other appls)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) (04/29/89)

In article <1871@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> I wrote:
>I've been trying to change some of the items in International Resources
>for instance, the date to yy-mm-dd format.  I'm using ResEdit 1.3d1, and
>I'm careful to work with a copy of the System file.  The problem is that
>none of my applications recognizes that a change has been made.  For instance,
>Word uses the m/d/y format when I ask it to insert the date.  When I go back
>and examine the System file with ResEdit, my changes appear as I made them.
>Any ideas to help me get this to work would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>-Goz (goz@ucsfvm.ucsf.edu or goz@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu)

Walter C3arlip suggested that I use the cdev "Simon".

Actually, I had tried Simon before, and found that it did indeed
"take", unlike the changes made with ResEdit.  However, Simon only
allows changes to portions of the International Resources, not all of
them as ResEdit theoretically can.  (As an example, I want to have the
delimiter within the date be the SI standard "-" instead of "/" -
Simon does not let you change this.) So for now, I'll have to wait
until a better solution comes along.  Any other ideas?  -Goz

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (04/29/89)

In article <1871@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> goz@cca.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Goz Lyv) writes:
>I've been trying to change some of the items in International Resources
>for instance, the date to yy-mm-dd format.  I'm using ResEdit 1.3d1, and
>I'm careful to work with a copy of the System file.  The problem is that
>none of my applications recognizes that a change has been made.  For instance,
>Word uses the m/d/y format when I ask it to insert the date.  When I go back
>and examine the System file with ResEdit, my changes appear as I made them.
>Any ideas to help me get this to work would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>-Goz (goz@ucsfvm.ucsf.edu or goz@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu)

Have you changed both the 'itl0' and the 'INTL' id 0 resources? They both
contain the same info, but different applications may use the other one.
--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) (05/02/89)

In article <1989Apr29.175546.25460@LTH.Se> roland@DNA.LTH.Se (Roland Mansson) writes:
>Have you changed both the 'itl0' and the 'INTL' id 0 resources? They both
>contain the same info, but different applications may use the other one.

Yes, that did the trick. I had only changed INTL. Changing itl0 and itl1 also
is what was needed. Thank you! -Goz