[comp.sys.mac] New Mac BBS Software

granteri@pnet51.cts.com (Grant Erickson) (04/28/89)

Attn: Apple Computer and/or Claris Corporation,

In the past few months, I have been working with different BBS systems. Of all
of them I have used, I like Red Ryder Host 2.0. The reason I like it, is
becasue of all of its flexibility and configurations. I also like NovaTerm
because it implements graphics. Here is what I am posing to you.

I feel Apple or Claris should develop a BBS system that has a few of the
following characeteristics...

1> It should be relatively inexpensive, and should be able to run on a Mac
512KE up to a Mac IIEX (when it is a released).

2> It should be very configurable and easy to change and configure as the
sysop or administrator sees fit and to his/her liking.

3> It should support up to 19,200 BPS and be Telebit and HST compatible

4> It should support X Modem 128K and 1K blocks, Y Modem (full
implementation, u/l and d/l), and above all, FULL blown Z Modem support on u/l
and d/l

5> A _STANDARD_ graphics protocal should be developed and implemented in this
software and all new term programs should be encouraged to implement it. After
seeing what the Amiga and IBM have done with on-line graphics, I think Apple
has fallen very short in offering this type of thing. By graphics, I mean
pictures, icons, button, check boxes, and radio buttons.

This is a suggestion, but after taking a small poll of Mac users and BBSers,
these are just a few of the things that they and I would like to see. Give it
a thought folks. And maybe a A/UX version could be developed that works
similar to the system I am on now?.?.?.

.________________________________________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uuner!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!granteri   |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil                                   |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.cts.com                                                |
!_______________________________________________________________________________!

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (04/29/89)

In article <1010@orbit.UUCP> granteri@pnet51.cts.com (Grant Erickson) writes:
>Attn: Apple Computer and/or Claris Corporation,
>
>In the past few months, I have been working with different BBS systems. Of all
>of them I have used, I like Red Ryder Host 2.0. The reason I like it, is
>becasue of all of its flexibility and configurations. I also like NovaTerm
>because it implements graphics. Here is what I am posing to you.
>
>I feel Apple or Claris should develop a BBS system that has a few of the
>following characeteristics...
[characteristics deleted]

>| INET: granteri@pnet51.cts.com

Not to flame you too much, but I'd like to say good luck.  There is no way
a large company like Apple or Claris will produce a BBS program.  The market is
just not large enough for either of these companies to take an interest.  If
millions of BBS systems popped up overnight, they might look at it, but ther's
not enough demand.  I think you're going to have to find some teenager who
plays with BBSs all of the time who can program to make the program you want
a reality.  Just the state of the computer world.

-Ace

weevil@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jeff Eliasen) (04/29/89)

In article <1010@orbit.UUCP>, granteri@pnet51.cts.com (Grant Erickson) writes:
> Attn: Apple Computer and/or Claris Corporation,
>
> I feel Apple or Claris should develop a BBS system that has a few of the
> following characeteristics...
>
> 1> It should be relatively inexpensive, and should be able to run on a Mac
> 512KE up to a Mac IIEX (when it is a released).
>
> 2> It should be very configurable and easy to change and configure as the
> sysop or administrator sees fit and to his/her liking.
>
> 3> It should support up to 19,200 BPS and be Telebit and HST compatible
>
> 4> It should support X Modem 128K and 1K blocks, Y Modem (full
> implementation, u/l and d/l), and above all, FULL blown Z Modem support on
> u/l and d/l
>
> 5> A _STANDARD_ graphics protocal should be developed and implemented in this
> software and all new term programs should be encouraged to implement it.

I'm working on along these lines right now, and would appreciate any feedback
from NetLand regarding:

What would you want/not want in a BBS as a sysop or as a user?  My idea now
is to create a system including graphics and text in resizable windows, a
finder-like envinronment for copying files, support for multiple fonts, and
possibly sound support (non-digitized sound, of course).  Modules would
be made available to support gaming, future file-transfer protocols, and
modem drivers.  Idealy, the user would not have to know anything about
modeming to use the board, they would just have to be familiar with the Mac
interface.

Please respond before May 10th, as I am transferring to another school and
will no longer have my account.  I will post my new mailing address as soon
as I know.

Thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions.

- Jeffrey Eliasen
- NewCo MexiTech

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (05/01/89)

What would you want/not want in a BBS as a sysop or as a user?  My idea now
is to create a system including graphics and text in resizable windows, a
finder-like envinronment for copying files, support for multiple fonts, and
possibly sound support (non-digitized sound, of course).  Modules would
be made available to support gaming, future file-transfer protocols, and
modem drivers.  Idealy, the user would not have to know anything about
modeming to use the board, they would just have to be familiar with the Mac
interface.
<<

Good luck!!  For suggestions I'd say, if you can come up with a BBS that
offers the construction set capability of Red Ryder Host (2.x), user
interface friendlyness of RR Host, and the SysOp interface features of
Mansion (along with FidoNet mail (Tabby) compatibility) you'd have a -real-
winnner...

Ray

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Ray Terry                            Hewlett Packard Company
GEnie : R.Terry                      MacNET: Ray
Packet: N6PHJ @ N6IIU                UUCP  : sun!hpda!hpcupt1!rterry
Domain: rterry%hpda@hplabs.hp.com    SysOp : MacScience BBS (408) 866-4933
IPaddr: 44.4.0.214 N6PHJ.norcal.ampr CIS   : 71150,735
                 Standard disclaimers, etc. apply...

fischer@arisia.Xerox.COM (Ronald A. Fischer) (05/02/89)

If you contact Apple you can find out about MacWorkstation, which has
a serial line protocol that allows creating remote dialogs, windows,
etc.  I would guess you could use this to implement a BBS with
graphics, running MacW/S on the client end.

(ron)