[comp.sys.mac] Looking for good 160-column VT100 emulator

ryland@mfci.UUCP (Chris Ryland) (04/26/89)

Are there any excellent VT100 emulation programs that can
(a) keep up with 19200 modems, and (b) support 160 columns
of text?

Versaterm seems to do (a) fine, but only allows up to 132
columns.

--Chris Ryland
  ryland@multiflow.com, ...!uunet!mfci!ryland

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (04/27/89)

In article <813@m3.mfci.UUCP>, ryland@mfci.UUCP (Chris Ryland) writes:
> Are there any excellent VT100 emulation programs that can
> (a) keep up with 19200 modems, and (b) support 160 columns
> of text?

	Many communications products on the Macintosh will do (a) just fine,
but doing (b) will be a bit hard since THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!  According
to the DEC VT100/ANSI standard there are only provisions for a 80 and a 132
column VT100 terminal (and therefore VT100 emulators as well).
	If you can show me a spec for a 160 column VT100, I would love to
see it!

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (04/28/89)

In article <11425@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <813@m3.mfci.UUCP>, ryland@mfci.UUCP (Chris Ryland) writes:
>> Are there any excellent VT100 emulation programs that can
>> (a) keep up with 19200 modems, and (b) support 160 columns
>> of text?
>>
>	Many communications products on the Macintosh will do (a) just fine,
>but doing (b) will be a bit hard since THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!  According
>to the DEC VT100/ANSI standard there are only provisions for a 80 and a 132
>column VT100 terminal (and therefore VT100 emulators as well).
>	If you can show me a spec for a 160 column VT100, I would love to
>see it!

There is not such thing as a perfect VT100 emulator. There are always
differences. The VT100 documentation only provides escape codes for
putting the terminal into 80 or 132 column mode, but it doesn't stop
people using other terminal sizes. (From telnet for example.)

The original poster wanted to have two EMACS windows side by side. This
is a perfectly good reason for wanting 160 columns, although I would
either prefer using something like uw or telnet or setting the terminal
to have more than 24 rows. There's no reason why an emulator should
be limited to 80x24 or 132x24. You just have to define that an "excellent
VT100 emulation" can be in 160 columns.

WARNING: Commercial follows:

My program supports any terminal size, as long as it has less than
32768 characters in it. (How would you like 160x204?) Currently the
window is sized according to the terminal screen, but a future version
will probably make sure that the window isn't originally larger than
the screen. The program is not available outside Finland. I'll try to
release an English version when I have all the goodies done... :-)

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |
^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (05/01/89)

In article <21712@santra.UUCP>, jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
> In article <11425@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> >In article <813@m3.mfci.UUCP>, ryland@mfci.UUCP (Chris Ryland) writes:
> >> [Comments about a 160 column VT100 emulator]
>
> There is not such thing as a perfect VT100 emulator. There are always
> differences. The VT100 documentation only provides escape codes for
> putting the terminal into 80 or 132 column mode, but it doesn't stop
> people using other terminal sizes. (From telnet for example.)

	I will agree with you that there is no such thing as a perfect VT100
emulator, both w/regard to emulating the STANDARD VT100 and to extensions to
the STANDARD.  However it seems to me that extensions should be made with
care and with some standardization.  For example, the most common extension to
the VT100 on the Macintosh is the presence of the scrollback buffer.  Also
the ability to select text, and use the editMenu command on it.
	Extending the VT100 with things such as >24 lines and >132 columns (or
other wierd combinations) is, I guess, a nice thing to do, but what I don't
see is how you can do that within the confines of the DEC VT100/ANSI specs.
For example, when you do when the host issues the ESC[?3h or 3l to put it
into 80 or 132 mode?  Is that what you do?  Is that what you SHOULD DO??

> The original poster wanted to have two EMACS windows side by side. This
> is a perfectly good reason for wanting 160 columns, although I would
> either prefer using something like uw or telnet or setting the terminal
> to have more than 24 rows. There's no reason why an emulator should
> be limited to 80x24 or 132x24. You just have to define that an "excellent
> VT100 emulation" can be in 160 columns.

	I am still trying to figure out how you would convince the HOST to
give you two EMACS windows side by side...Anyway, I am not staying that having
>132 columns is not a reasonable request, I am simply saying that this is the
type of feature that needs to be WELL THOUGHT OUT before being implemented
otherwise my 160 column emulator may/will not work like yours and users will
complain as they thought VT100 was a standard!??!?

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (05/01/89)

If you feel compelled to tell the poster what he meant to ask, you
might at least have the courtesy to answer his question.

If I cared what happens in the case where the terminal is told to go
into 80 vs 132 column mode, I wouldn't be interested in a large vt100.
The people who are asking for this are probably interested in talking
to a UNIX system, have a large monitor, and have enjoyed using xterm
or news, which lets terminal windows be essentially arbitrary size.
It makes a lot of difference whether I get 24 lines or 60, and 80
columns vs 200.

A large number of environments support this functionality.  The issues
are very well understood.  Leonard clearly just isn't familiar with
the work that has been going on in this area for many years.

I agree with the view that extensions to be standardized should be
considered carefully.  The battle here is over the word "standard,"
and it's a goddamn waste of time.  Leonard knows perfectly well what
the guy wanted.

I am not aware of any Macintosh terminal emulators that do VT100
emulation (or any other kind) in greater than 24/80 columns.  It would
be a very valuable feature for many users, and those of you out there
who have done terminal emulation programs would do well to consider
adding it.

I would be very interested in getting my hands on such an emulator - I
have the same problem, and have finally been driven to consider doing
one myself.

Jon

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (05/01/89)

In article <11468@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>	I will agree with you that there is no such thing as a perfect VT100
>emulator, both w/regard to emulating the STANDARD VT100 and to extensions to
>the STANDARD.  However it seems to me that extensions should be made with
>care and with some standardization.  For example, the most common extension to
>the VT100 on the Macintosh is the presence of the scrollback buffer.  Also
>the ability to select text, and use the editMenu command on it.

Right. Without these extensions a terminal emulator is not worth using.

>	Extending the VT100 with things such as >24 lines and >132 columns (or
>other wierd combinations) is, I guess, a nice thing to do, but what I don't
>see is how you can do that within the confines of the DEC VT100/ANSI specs.
>For example, when you do when the host issues the ESC[?3h or 3l to put it
>into 80 or 132 mode?  Is that what you do?  Is that what you SHOULD DO??

I took a look at what VersaTerm does when the window is resized to something
larger than 24 rows. A reset or ESC[r will default to the large screen size.
VMS & Unix first send an ESC[1;24r thus leaving a few lines below the
scrolling window. In unix I then type 'stty rows 36 ; reset', which changes
the screen size. After that, every program I've tried works just fine. The
reason is probably that window systems on unix have offered these nonstandard
sizes for ages. The same thing can be done with the screen width. The only
problem is that there is no escape code to do that. Currently my program
quickly changes back to 80 or 132 columns when it receives the escape. You
have to be careful that the program doesn't see one of these commands.

>	I am still trying to figure out how you would convince the HOST to
>give you two EMACS windows side by side...Anyway, I am not staying that having
>>132 columns is not a reasonable request, I am simply saying that this is the
>type of feature that needs to be WELL THOUGHT OUT before being implemented
>otherwise my 160 column emulator may/will not work like yours and users will
>complain as they thought VT100 was a standard!??!?

The distributed version comes with a 80x24 or 132x24, but you can change the
default size with a ResEdit template (there will be a special defaults editor).
I think I'll allow the user to specify how many columns the 80 and 132 column
modes have. This way anybody who wants to use these features (like 160 columns
instead of 132) can do it. Most of the parameters than can be changes with
ResEdit (or the defaults editor) can result in strange behaviour in one or
the other way. One of the things you can do is change the font used on the
screen or for printing. I'm currently using Courier-10 instead of the default
font and it works fine, although you can't use the VT100 graphics character
set. I've also tried nonproportional fonts and they work well for reading
news & other stuff that doesn't require editing. I might restrict the defaults
editor to nonproportional fonts. You could still use Palatino for printing...

I think it is important to let the users decide what they can use. (Even
if they happen to be wrong.)

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (05/01/89)

In article <8868@polya.Stanford.EDU>, shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:

> I am not aware of any Macintosh terminal emulators that do VT100
> emulation (or any other kind) in greater than 24/80 columns.  It would
> be a very valuable feature for many users, and those of you out there
> who have done terminal emulation programs would do well to consider
> adding it.
>
> I would be very interested in getting my hands on such an emulator - I
> have the same problem, and have finally been driven to consider doing
> one myself.
>
> Jon

Mac220, Mac240, and Mac241 from White Pine support 132-column mode.  But you
better have good eyes.

On the recent announcements that White Pine send out about Mac220 (their
VT220 emulator) and Mac241 (COLOR VT241 emulator), there was a picture
on the front of the brochure that showed a VT220 window that was twice
as long as it was wide.  I would guess that it was at least 50 lines long.
And if I remember right, they were editing a Pascal program in it using
a DECnet CTERM connection that supports multiple sessions, so there were
several windows on the screen, each being a different size...

If anyone knows just exactly what this is, let me know.  By the way, I
use the Mac240 product very much.  It is a very good package.  The ReGIS
graphics aren't as exact as they need to be at times, but all of the other
features make it worth the while, especially at educational discounts.
I must confess, though, that my situation is stable: I have one serial
line that runs at 19200 bps that I use to connect to any one of the campus
mainframes, so I never have to change from the settings for that line.
I also have a modem, but I only use that for AppleLink.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (05/02/89)

In article <8868@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
>I am not aware of any Macintosh terminal emulators that do VT100
>emulation (or any other kind) in greater than 24/80 columns.

Versaterm will do 132 columns, and as many rows as you desire.  I have
a regular Mac II screen, so I only do 80/36....  Well, more rows is
probably more useful than more columns in either case.

-Sho