[comp.sys.mac] Simtel20: How does it work?

gtww2z9z@umiami.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (04/17/89)

Ok, silly question time...

I finally, after many times tying, got onto the Simtel20 archive.  Being the
self-assured person that I am, I thought that this would be just like any
other ftp site.  Boy, was I wrong.  I send an ls -la command, and I don't
get the pretty Unix ls listing, but I get some directory, but I can't
tell which are subdirectories, or even how to get to them.  They don't
take pwd or ls or get or put or anything!  How does this place work?!

Thanks for any help y'all might give!

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Not my damn planet  | At the tone, leave your reply and Visa card number at

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (04/17/89)

[article expressing confusion regarding Simtel20]

I would also GREATLY appreciate any information on this. Simtel20 is a mess.
Recently, I spent almost 3 hours connecting and disconnecting, trying
valiantly to get something to work. I never made it; there's just too much
of that "+DIR.whoopee/kipperedherring.F*.bleah.2.^:" stuff.

Ron

 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 >  Ron Morgan    {ames, utah-cs, uunet, gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!osmigo  <
 >  Univ. of Texas  {harvard, pyramid, sequent}!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!osmigo   <
 >  Austin, Texas        osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP       osmigo@emx.utexas.edu       <
 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

verber@miami.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (04/17/89)

Simtel20.arpa is a DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.  It's directory structure
is different that a UNIX file system.  On the -20 you specify a file
by an optional device name, followed by directory path enclosed in
angle brackets, followed by a file name and a version number.  For example:

	pd1:<macintosh.da>some-fun-da.hqx.1

Oh, the version number is not required, so some-fun-da.hqx will give
you the last version of a file (boy do I miss multiple versions in Unix).

There is a help file in the ftp directory called SIMTEL20-MACINTOSH.INFO
which gives complete instructions.  Onbe other word of warning. DEC-20s
are 36 bit machines!  If you are downloading a binary file rather than a
binhex4 file (which is 7 bit ascii) use type tenex.

Cheers,
Mark Verber

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) (04/17/89)

There's a simtel instructions file at the top level -- ftp get that and
read it.  In brief, it says:  To ftp transfer a directory listing of
macstuff, do

  get pd3:<macintosh>macintosh.crclst

To just look at a directory or subdirectory, do

  ls pd3:<macintosh> or ls pd3:<macintosh.sound>

You can change to a subdirectory and get files with:

  cd pd3:<macintosh.sound>
  get filename-1

Lots of luck in getting and unpacking files, though -- I run into a
wrong size byte error, which forces me to transfer binary, and then
they don't unpack.  Does anyone know the solution to that?

-JR

-

malone@cod.NOSC.MIL (John P. Malone) (04/18/89)

   To add to the simtel20 confusion here are some fairly recent listings
of the available directories. Sorry for the IBM-PC stuff, but they are
the PC archive of choice and the PC holdings apparently occupy all of
PD1: device (or what ever that designation stands for).

**   SIMTEL  MISC  &  MSDOS  Directory Names   2/3/89  **

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1989  13:42 MST
>From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's MISC directories

Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's PD2:<MISC.x> directories as of February
3, 1989 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

BBS           EPROM         KA9Q-TCPIP    PROTOCOLS     TOPS-20
BBSLISTS      GENIE         MICROEMACS    SQUPORT       VAXVMS
BIBLE         GOULD-KERMIT  MINIX         SS-INFO       X-10
BYTE          GPCSC         MODEMS        STANDARDS     ZMODEM
CCMD          HAMRADIO      MSJ           T20-SQUSQ
CIS           IBM-CMS       PACKET        TELEPHONE
CONSUMERS     IBM-VM        PCPURSUIT     TOPS-10

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]
DDN: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1989  13:32 MST
>From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Quick reference list to Simtel20 MSDOS directories

Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.x> directories as of
February 3, 1989 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

APL           DESKPUB       HYPERTEXT     PC-JR         SQ-USQ
ARC-LBR       DESQVIEW      KA9Q-TCPIP    PCIP          STARTER
ARCNET-PCIP   DIRUTL        KERMIT        PCMAG         SURFMODL
ASMUTL        DISASM        KEYBOARD      PCMAIL        SYSUTL
AT            DSKUTL        LAN           PCPURSUIT     TELIX
AUTOCAD       EDITOR        LAPTOP        PCRESOURCE    TELNET
BASIC         EDUCATION     LISP          PCTECH        TEX
BATUTL        EEL           LOTUS123      PIBTERM       TROJAN-PRO
BBS           EGA           MAC           PILOT         TURBO-C
BBSLISTS      EMULATORS     MAPPING       PLOT          TURBOBAS
BIBLE         FIDO          MATH          PREPROCESS    TURBOPAS
BORLAND       FILEDOCS      MAX           PRINTER       TXTUTL
BYTEMAG       FILUTL        MEMACS        PROCOMM       UUCP
C             FLOWCHART     MENU          PROGJOURN     VENTURA
CAD           FORMGEN       MICROCORN     PROLOG        VGA
CALCULATOR    FORTH         MODEM         QBASIC        VOICE
CATALOG       FORTRAN       MODULA2       QMODEM        WORLDMAP
CIS           FREEMACS      MOUSE

milne@ics.uci.edu (Alastair Milne) (05/02/89)

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) writes
>There's a simtel instructions file at the top level -- ftp get that and
>read it.  In brief, it says:  To ftp transfer a directory listing of
>macstuff, do
>
>  get pd3:<macintosh>macintosh.crclst

   NOTE: pd3:, *not* pd1: .  I had a message recently from Robert Thum,
   Simtel's Mac archivist, explaining this.  The device was until recently
   PD1:, so there will probably be lingering confusion.  It is now PD3:, where
   Robert says there is much more room.

>To just look at a directory or subdirectory, do
>
>  ls pd3:<macintosh> or ls pd3:<macintosh.sound>

    Are you sure?  I didn't think you could do an "ls" to the 20 -- I thought
    it had to be DIR.

>You can change to a subdirectory and get files with:
>
>  cd pd3:<macintosh.sound>

    Note that the target directory must *always* be specified in full,
    starting with the device name.

>Lots of luck in getting and unpacking files, though -- I run into a
>wrong size byte error, which forces me to transfer binary, and then
>they don't unpack.  Does anyone know the solution to that?

    Yup.  This has been said before, but bears repeating, because it's not the
    sort of thing anybody would naturally think of.

    Simtel20 is a DECSystem-20, and it has a 36-bit word, not 32 or any other
    convenient size.  When its ftp does a binary send from this to 32-bit
    hosts, the wrong part of the word gets sent.

    To fix this, use TENEX transfer mode, not binary.  TENEX, if I recall
    rightly, is the name of one OS that runs on the 20's (TOPS-20 is another).
    It takes note of the discrepancy, and shifts the data it's sending to fix
    it.

    You'll find setting TENEX when you do ftp, rather than BINARY, fixes a lot
    of problems.

    The unhappy part is that DIR and MGET both need ASCII mode, so if you
    actually want to look at what you're getting, you need to switch back and
    forth between modes.

    Alastair Milne