[comp.sys.mac] Revision B ROM Upgrades for MACII

borsom@imokay.dec.com (Doug Borsom) (04/24/89)

In article <10030@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) writes:
>Notes:	The motherboard of the II is brand new, having just gotten the
>	free upgrade to the Revision B ROMS (Which requires a motherboard
>	swap).

Can anyone tell me about these upgrades?  I have an early model of the
MACII, and I haven't heard boo about ROM upgrades, free or otherwise.
Tha

du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) (04/29/89)

In article <443@imokay.dec.com> borsom@imokay.dec.com (Doug Borsom) writes:
>In article <10030@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) writes:
>>Notes:	The motherboard of the II is brand new, having just gotten the
>>	free upgrade to the Revision B ROMS (Which requires a motherboard
>
>Can anyone tell me about these upgrades?  I have an early model of the
>MACII, and I haven't heard boo about ROM upgrades, free or otherwise.
>Tha

I also am interested in finding out about this upgrade.
Also, can anyone tell how I can find out which ROM version
I currently have in my Mac II.

Thanks.

Ted Goldstein
du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu
.
.
.
.
.

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/29/89)

In article <2318@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) writes...
>In article <443@imokay.dec.com> borsom@imokay.dec.com (Doug Borsom) writes:
>>In article <10030@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) writes:
>>>Notes:	The motherboard of the II is brand new, having just gotten the
>>>	free upgrade to the Revision B ROMS (Which requires a motherboard
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does a ROM upgrade on a Mac II require a motherboard switch???  If so, how much
does that cost (currently)?  I ask particularly because if System 7.0 and/or
System 8.0 require a ROM switch (just a nasty rumor at this point) in addition
to a PMMU, I'd of course like to replace the ROM.

Also, what _is_ the "Revision B ROM Upgrade"?

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

s160041@castor.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/02/89)

In article <2987@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>Does a ROM upgrade on a Mac II require a motherboard switch???  If so, how much
>does that cost (currently)?  I ask particularly because if System 7.0 and/or
>System 8.0 require a ROM switch (just a nasty rumor at this point) in addition
>to a PMMU, I'd of course like to replace the ROM.
>
>Also, what _is_ the "Revision B ROM Upgrade"?
>

>Robert
>------
>ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
>------
>generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

The Revison B fixes a bug in the Slot Manager.  In the first Mac IIs that
shipped the Slot Manager only ran in 24-bit mode.  This limits the amount of
memory that can be accessed in a NuBus slot to 1MB.  That was a problem since
several companies came out with memory boards for A/UX that had 16MB of RAM
on them.  Apple will provide a replacement mother board free of charge to
those users who need the upgrade.  This offfer is good for the life of the
Mac II.

Does a ROM upgrade require a motherboard swap?  It depends.  As I said before,
the bug fix to the Slot Manager required a motherboard swap.  But if you
want to put an FDHD into your Mac II, the ROMS controlling the disk drive
are just replaced.

It's worth noting that the newer machines have ROM SIMMs, making any future
ROM replacements very simple.  And we all know Apple never does anything
without a reason, right :-)

Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.