[comp.sys.mac] Two Page Display systems, Radius Vs. Apple, any pros/cons/thoughts?

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) (05/02/89)

Beiing about to buy a large monochrome display subsystem, I would appreciate
any thoughts on which one to get.  The leading contenders seem to be Radius and
Apple.  What are the differences?

apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (05/03/89)

In article <29974@apple.Apple.COM> jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) writes:
>Beiing about to buy a large monochrome display subsystem, I would appreciate
>any thoughts on which one to get.  The leading contenders seem to be Radius and
>Apple.  What are the differences?
[..]

Don't buy Radius if you will be using a second monitor as the startup
monitor (the one with the menu bar) together with the Radius monitor.
I had some horrible incompatibility problems (Word 3.01, Illustrator,
Excel 1.5, LSP 2.0, etc.), which were confirmed by my dealer. He was fair
enough to give me my money back.

As long as the Radius monitor is the primary monitor, everything seems
fine. I shudder when I think of how badly the Radius software must be
implemented, if they are unable to anticipate someone using another
monitor together with theirs.

Also, Radius was most uncooperative in resolving the issue. I will
never even consider doing business with them again.

Edgar Knapp

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (05/03/89)

In article <5437@cs.utexas.edu> knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) writes:

>fine. I shudder when I think of how badly the Radius software must be
>implemented, if they are unable to anticipate someone using another
>monitor together with theirs.

	The quality of Radius' software implementation has nothing to
do with their design principles, IMHO. The way I see it, they simply
forgot to handle a condition which, frankly, is not a common one.

	But far be it from me to read the minds of their programming
staff....

>Also, Radius was most uncooperative in resolving the issue. I will
>never even consider doing business with them again.

	I must defend Radius on the grounds that I've had the complete
opposite experiences with them. For all problems that I've encountered
with Radius software or hardware, I've received quick service, good
answers, and even some things that I hadn't expected, like free software
and ROM updates.

	The Radius products I use both at home and at work, and they
are definitely worth getting.

		--Rich

 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 "She told me to make myself comfortable, so I pulled down my pants
 and sat in the pudding." -Emo Phillips