[comp.sys.mac] MS Word 4.0

strausd@romana.cs.orst.edu (Douglas E. Strauss) (02/12/89)

I just heard that MS Word 4.0 should be out by easter from a friend who
is interning up there.  SO I guess its still a 50-50% chance we will even
see it in the near future.
Doug
strausd@romana.cs.orst.edu

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (04/25/89)

Does anyone OTHER than a beta-tester, reviewer, etc., actually have ver. 4.0
in hand yet?  I am especially curious about users at universities--do your
microcomputer stores have it yet?  I have heard (from someone at Microsoft)
that it went "golden" at the begining of last week, and that production
should have started at the end of last week.  Theoretically, it should be in
the stores starting this week, right?  The sales rep at the UT microcenter
seemed to think it would be a while, however.  Any news out there?

Thanks,
Jay Boisseau
jay@emx.utexas.edu

>Does anyone OTHER than a beta-tester, reviewer, etc., actually have ver. 4.0
>in hand yet?  I am especially curious about users at universities--do your
>microcomputer stores have it yet?  I have heard (from someone at Microsoft)
>that it went "golden" at the begining of last week, and that production
>should have started at the end of last week.  Theoretically, it should be in
>the stores starting this week, right?  The sales rep at the UT microcenter
>seemed to think it would be a while, however.  Any news out there?

Nope. Duplication/packaging is likely to take a little longer than that, and
Microsoft has committed that initial packages will go to people who are
upgrading, so retail distribution won't start until the initial units for
the upgrade are done. I think a few reviewers have gotten early copies, but
they weren't shrink-wrapped and I believe the disks were hand-generated.

I wouldn't expect Word 4 to be commercially available for a few weeks. There
is a large pent up demand for upgrades, and until they have those shipping I
doubt they'll start shipping to retailers. Which only makes sense.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (04/25/89)

In article <12394@ut-emx.UUCP> jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:

>Does anyone OTHER than a beta-tester, reviewer, etc., actually have ver. 4.0
>in hand yet?  ...

A few people (including myself) have posted that they received their upgrade.
In my case, last week.

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

s160041@castor.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (04/25/89)

In article <29473@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>Does anyone OTHER than a beta-tester, reviewer, etc., actually have ver. 4.0
>>in hand yet?  I am especially curious about users at universities--do your
>>microcomputer stores have it yet?
>
>Nope. Duplication/packaging is likely to take a little longer than that, and
>Microsoft has committed that initial packages will go to people who are
>upgrading, so retail distribution won't start until the initial units for
>the upgrade are done. I think a few reviewers have gotten early copies, but
>they weren't shrink-wrapped and I believe the disks were hand-generated.
>
>I wouldn't expect Word 4 to be commercially available for a few weeks. There
>is a large pent up demand for upgrades, and until they have those shipping I
>doubt they'll start shipping to retailers. Which only makes sense.

Actually, I do have a release copy.  Our University Computer Shop recieved
a few of the upgrade packages (Academic Edtition).  The Academic upgrade
does include SuperPaint 1.1MS and AutoMac III (bleccch...).  I had played
with a beta version for a couple of weeks and have used the release version
to write a couple of papers.  So far, I like the automatic tabling very much,
but I'm not very impressed with anything else.  When in PageView mode (where
you can see page breaks, headers, footers a la WriteNow) the program becomes
incredibly slow, particularly if you have tables.  The interface is clumsy,
but the customization helps quite a bit.  The only thing about customization
that I don't like is that if I go to a public access lab or a friends machine
I have to take my Word Settings file with me and tell the program to use my
settings.  Otherwise I would be looking at somebody elses menu arrangements and
command keys.

Overall, I'm not throwing away WriteNow 2.0 yet.  I will still use either
WriteNow or MacWrite II for 90% of my writing, and use Word 4.0 only when
I need tables.

Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

erikjf@Apple.COM (Erik Jon Frieberg) (04/26/89)

In article <12394@ut-emx.UUCP> jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:

>Does anyone OTHER than a beta-tester, reviewer, etc., actually have ver. 4.0
>in hand yet?  I am especially curious about users at universities--do your
>microcomputer stores have it yet?  I have heard (from someone at Microsoft)
>that it went "golden" at the begining of last week, and that production
>should have started at the end of last week.  Theoretically, it should be in
>the stores starting this week, right?  The sales rep at the UT microcenter
>seemed to think it would be a while, however.  Any news out there?
>

>Thanks,
>Jay Boisseau
>jay@emx.utexas.edu

I was at Egghead Software yesterday and saw Word 4.0 on thier Shelf.

martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) (04/26/89)

In article <12394@ut-emx.UUCP>, jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:

> Does anyone OTHER than a beta-tester, reviewer, etc., actually have ver. 4.0
> in hand yet?  I am especially curious about users at universities--do your

I got my update card today and it says Word 4.0 will ship on May 15th...I
think.  By the way we tried to order additional copies of Word 4.0 from
Mac Connection earlier this week.  Now get this....MacConnection does
not have Word 4.0 but is taking back orders.  In other words Microsoft is
not shipping 4.0 yet.  So....you would think you could get Word 3.05 now and
upgrade later......Microsoft is not shipping any Word 3.0x versions either.
Seems strange to me that a company would stop all shipments of a product...
and the company has a history of shipping new releases late.  Seems to me
that they cut off alot of the spot market.  My company needed X number of
copies of Word NOW......we bought something else......

              teksce           (Fastest path)
          /            \
tektronix!reed!  omen   !bucket!martyl  (Marty Lee)
              \        /
               percival

kfr@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Karl F. Ruehr) (04/26/89)

  MS Word 4.0 for the Mac has been available from Egghead Discount Software
(at least, here in Michigan) since Saturday, 22 April.  For their nearest
retail location, call 1-800-EGG-HEAD.

  Oh, and their price for Word 4.0 is $295.99.

  Disclaimer: I live with someone who works for Egghead.

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (05/03/89)

From article <1367@bucket.UUCP>, by martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee):

> I got my update card today and it says Word 4.0 will ship on May 15th...I
> think.

At MacWorld D.C. The microsoft booth had a sign 'Word 4.0 Now Shipping' fairly prominently displayed.

--
 William C. DenBesten
 denbeste@bgsu.edu

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (05/03/89)

        I don't know if it makes a difference, but I work in the computer
store of Dartmouth, and I am looking at about 500 copies of the
Word 4.0 update, as well as 8 NEW Word 4.0's.  So I guess that means I do
have the new Word.

BTW, this answers the question about whether anyone actually HAD
Word 4.0 yet (except Beta testers, etc.)

-Jamie
Xerox@mac.Dartmouth.edu