[comp.sys.mac] NFNTs

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (05/03/89)

In article <3955@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:

>Just for my own use, I am developing 9-pt and 11-pt sizes of all the LW+
>fonts, including style variations. So far I have done Avant Garde, Bookman,
>N Helvetica Narrow, New Century Schoolbook, Palatino, Symbol, Zapf Chancery,
>and Zapf Dingbats. Yet to go are Courier, Helvetica, and Times. All these are
>in NFNT families.

Adobe has finally announced their support of the NFNT format, and has been
assigned a block of NFNT numbers from Apple to use for their font library.
Within a month, they expect to be shipping all of their fonts in NFNT format
ONLY, and release upgrades to current customers. It is possible, given a list
of the NFNT numbers and a couple of utility programs (Font Harmony from
Suitcase II AND Font/DA Utility from MasterJuggler) to renumber and convert
your fonts to the new NFNT format; I have a text only document that lists
the numbers and describes the details of the conversion. I will try to get
permission from Adobe to post that file somewhere.

Secondly, the folks who run the Macintosh archives at sumex-aim.stanford.edu
have signed a redistribution agreement with Adobe, and as I result I have
uploaded screen font files (ONLY!) for all of the currently shipping faces
in the Adobe Type Library (minus the ones that we can't distribute). These are
in the /info-mac/fonts/adobe directory on sumex. Note that you may download
these fonts for your own personal use, but you may NOT make copies for others,
or put them on users group disks or bulletin board systems.

I am hoping to replace those files with the NFNT versions when I get my copies
from Adobe in the next few weeks. I am also hoping that I'll be able to
distribute a "short menus" version of the NFNT screen fonts. The Adobe fonts
currently have seperate screen fonts for the different font styles - ie,
Palatino, I Palatino Italic, B Palatino Bold, etc. It is possible to hide
the stylized fonts from the font menu, but still have those screen fonts used
when you select the appropriate style from the Style menu. I am not going to
guarantee that we will be able to distribute them, though...

Robert

/ Robert Hammen  | hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu | uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!hammen     /
/ Delphi: HAMMEN | GEnie: R.Hammen | CI$: 70701,2104 | MacNet: HAMMEN     /
/ Bulfin Printers | 1887 N. Water | Milwaukee WI 53202 | (414) 271-1887   /
/ 3839 N. Humboldt #204 | Milwaukee WI 53212 | (414) 961-0715 (h)         /