[net.wanted] serial-to-parallel converter

cwc@mhuxd.UUCP (Chip Christ) (12/18/84)

Anybody know of a serial-to-parallel converter for $100-150?
I don't need buffering or a lot of fancy stuff-- just unidirectional
data transmission with return flow control, preferably ready/busy.
It can be a box or board, with or without cables.  I have schematics
to custom-build such a beast, but I have no intention of fabricating
the dozen or so I'll ultimately need.  I don't think a job-shop
could meet the price I need, either; the components cost about $75-80
in quantity.

Chip Christ
AT&T Bell Labs
Murray Hill, NJ
(201) 582-5526
...mhuxd!cwc

brad@gcc-opus.ARPA (Brad Parker) (12/20/84)

In article <684@mhuxd.UUCP> cwc@mhuxd.UUCP (Chip Christ) writes:
>Anybody know of a serial-to-parallel converter for $100-150?
>I don't need buffering or a lot of fancy stuff-- just unidirectional
>data transmission with return flow control, preferably ready/busy.
>It can be a box or board, with or without cables.  I have schematics
>to custom-build such a beast, but I have no intention of fabricating
>the dozen or so I'll ultimately need.  I don't think a job-shop
>could meet the price I need, either; the components cost about $75-80
>in quantity.

You may want to check with a company called "Black Box Catalog".
They seem to make all of the nifty "black boxes" I need and they make
quality stuff.

Black Box Catalog
p.o. box 12800
Pittsburgh, Pa 15241
(412) 746-5800 (tech support)

I believe they have some boxes similar to what you described. Ask them
to send you a "catalog".
--

J Bradford Parker
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-opus!brad