[comp.sys.mac] A Smaller and Gentler 6.0

suelh@druhi.ATT.COM (Sue Hendrix) (05/03/89)

I have a friend who is trying to cut 6.0 down to size for
his Mac Plus.

He has a first cut at it--but there may be more that he can
get rid of.

The questions are:

     1.  What resources in System 6.0 are for the SE or
         Mac II and can be deleted?

     2.  What are these deletable resources for?  e.g, I
         know PTCH resources are Patch resources, etc.

Thanks for your help.
--
                                      Sue Hendrix, net.goddess
                                      att!drutx!druhi!suelh

It's a beautiful day, let's go boating.

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/03/89)

In article <4207@druhi.ATT.COM> suelh@druhi.ATT.COM (Sue Hendrix) writes:
#>
#>I have a friend who is trying to cut 6.0 down to size for
#>his Mac Plus.
#>
#>He has a first cut at it--but there may be more that he can
#>get rid of.
#>
#>The questions are:
#>
#>     1.  What resources in System 6.0 are for the SE or
#>         Mac II and can be deleted?
#>
#>     2.  What are these deletable resources for?  e.g, I
#>         know PTCH resources are Patch resources, etc.
#>
#>Thanks for your help.
#>--
#>                                      Sue Hendrix, net.goddess
#>                                      att!drutx!druhi!suelh

I'd be interested in any solutions on this one, too. I found
there wasn't room to install 6.0.2 and TOPS on an 800K disk.
It had nothing to do with the type of machine; I couldn't
make it fit on either an SE or a Plus with only floppy drives
but did install it on a Plus and a II with hard disks. My
users have so little extra room on their boot disks that
in order to switch printers, I have to delete the driver
for one and then install the other. And this is with
the older system.

On the other hand, I have two users with system 4.2, finder
6.0 (but using the 6.0.2 printer resources) and two with 6.0.2
on the same TOPS network and have noticed absolutely no problems,
except that the people with system 4.2 presumably cannot upgrade
to MacWrite II.

Steve Goldfield

s160041@castor.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/04/89)

In article <4207@druhi.ATT.COM> suelh@druhi.ATT.COM (Sue Hendrix) writes:

>I have a friend who is trying to cut 6.0 down to size for
>his Mac Plus.
>
>The questions are:
>
>     1.  What resources in System 6.0 are for the SE or
>         Mac II and can be deleted?
>
>     2.  What are these deletable resources for?  e.g, I
>         know PTCH resources are Patch resources, etc.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>--
>                                      Sue Hendrix, net.goddess
>                                      att!drutx!druhi!suelh

This is exactly what the Minimum Installer Scripts are for.  On
System Tools Utilites 1 disk (I think) there is an installer and
some special scripts (Min. Plus, Min. SE, Min. II) that only
install the resources necessary to boot a specific machine.  If
you try to boot a Mac II with a Min. Mac Plus Disk you get
a dialog box saying "This disk will only boot a Mac Plus" (or
words to that effect).

This is MUCH safer than hacking on the System file with ResEdit.

Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.