[comp.sys.mac] binary files

flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) (05/03/89)

How does one "decode" a binary file? I have downloaded a binary file
from umn-cs.cs.umn.edu archives that was tagged with a '.Z' and it is a binary
file.(I used ZTerm with ZModem protocol). I have tried running it through:
Binhex5.0, Stuffit1.40A, PackitIII and MacArc but none of them liked it!
Is there some other program that I need or am I missing something?

Scott Flatman.
INTERNET: flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu
UUCP:{tektronix,hplabs!hp-pcd}!orstcs!flatmas@ladder

Thanx in advance.

pweent@spanglebaby.cc.umich.edu (05/03/89)

In article <10331@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
>How does one "decode" a binary file? I have downloaded a binary file
>from umn-cs.cs.umn.edu archives that was tagged with a '.Z' and it is a binary
>file.(I used ZTerm with ZModem protocol). I have tried running it through:
>Binhex5.0, Stuffit1.40A, PackitIII and MacArc but none of them liked it!
>Is there some other program that I need or am I missing something?
>
>Scott Flatman.

The only compression method I have seen use ".Z" is unix "compress".  Try
decompressing it like this
    % zcat oldfile > newfile

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (05/03/89)

In article <8@sharkey.cc.umich.edu> pweent@spanglebaby.cc.umich.edu writes:

   In article <10331@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
   >How does one "decode" a binary file?  [ A '.Z' file. ]

   The only compression method I have seen use ".Z" is unix "compress".  Try
   decompressing it like this
       % zcat oldfile > newfile

If you don't have access to a Unix box, look for a program called (I
believe) MacCompress.  It compresses and decompresses in a way
compatible with Unix (if you have enough memory).

+---------------------------+------------------------+-------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         | VOTE on	         |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu | rec.music.newage! |
+---------------------------+------------------------+-------------------+
| Send votes for/against rec.music.newage to "rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu".   |
+---------------------------+------------------------+-------------------+

flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) (05/04/89)

Recently I posted an article about decoding '.Z' tagged UNIX compressed files.
The solution has been sent to me by MANY (45+ and counting...) very helpful
and courteous people.  THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH! I even received the whole
man pages for compress from the MIT AI lab... when you ask for help I guess
some folks really go out of their way to assist! I am still a neophyte at UNIX
so all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to all who took the time to help a rookie.

Scott Flatman
INTERNET: flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu
UUCP:{tektronix,hplabs!hp-pcd}!orstcs!flatmas@ladder

p.s. This email stuff is better than sliced bread!