[comp.sys.mac] Mac II graphics weirdities

vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei) (04/29/89)

Question for the day:  I've got a mac II here and have found that certain
graphics intensive programs (macpaint for the SE, Talking Moose, Dungeon
of Doom) Draw everything ok except the working area (thing being drawn)
which appears
seriously smallified in four scaled down ~1"x1" squares spread out along
the menu bar.

Frames and menus appar intact and functional but what you draw or what moves
is only drawn in those 4 tiny boxes.

What the...?

Now I was gonna chalk this up to plain old incompatibility except the
thinngs taht have color (or appear to anyway) seem to have correct colors
although with that small size the colors may be distortions of display but
I don't think so.

Is there a utility to fix this?

Just wondering.

Todd
vogelei@nmtsun

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (04/29/89)

In article <2488@nmtsun.nmt.edu> vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei)
writes:
> Question for the day:  I've got a mac II here and have found that certain
> graphics intensive programs (macpaint for the SE, Talking Moose, Dungeon
> of Doom) Draw everything ok except the working area (thing being drawn)
> which appears
> seriously smallified in four scaled down ~1"x1" squares spread out along
> the menu bar.

This is what happens when you have your screen set for more than 1
bit/pixel (in the Monitors CDEV) and the application tries to draw directly to the screen (i.e. not through QuickDraw).  The cure is to set your screen to 1
bit/pixel.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Wow!

milne@ics.uci.edu (Alastair Milne) (05/02/89)

>Question for the day:  I've got a mac II here and have found that certain
>graphics intensive programs (macpaint for the SE, Talking Moose, Dungeon
>of Doom) Draw everything ok except the working area (thing being drawn)
>which appears
>seriously smallified in four scaled down ~1"x1" squares spread out along
>the menu bar.
>
>Frames and menus appar intact and functional but what you draw or what moves
>is only drawn in those 4 tiny boxes.

    You should see the old FullPaint program, or BillBoard.  Those squares are
    the *only* places where they draw anything.  I have my suspicions they
    made some unauthorised assumptions about what memory was available for
    graphics tinkering -- or even about where the screen actually goes in
    memory.

    How functional everything else was I wouldn't try to say: I had no
    temptation to keep running them when there was a clear possibility they
    were writing over memory they had no business to use.

    However, I would be rather curious to find out exactly what problem causes
    this symptom.

>Is there a utility to fix this?

    Would much surprise me, but you can try.

    Alastair Milne

pweent@spanglebaby.cc.umich.edu (05/02/89)

>>Question for the day:  I've got a mac II here and have found that certain
>>graphics intensive programs (macpaint for the SE, Talking Moose, Dungeon
>>of Doom) Draw everything ok except the working area (thing being drawn)
>>which appears
>>seriously smallified in four scaled down ~1"x1" squares spread out along
>>the menu bar.
>>
>>Frames and menus appar intact and functional but what you draw or what moves
>>is only drawn in those 4 tiny boxes.

You can use these programs on a color Mac II, you just need to set yourself
to B/W, 2 shades. (I have used both FullPaint 1.1 and DoD this way).

DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (05/03/89)

A solution to the problem of programs which draw in little squares at the
top of the screen: Set the graphics depth (the number of colors/greys) to 2.
These programs made foolish assumptions about the screen, and now they are
paying for it.

Note, this never bothers me, because I never set my Mac IIs to anything other
than 2-bit color, preferring the black and white screen to some of the
aweful desktop patterns I've seen out there :-)

                       Jay, etc... (D. Jay Newman)

kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) (05/04/89)

In article <13121@paris.ics.uci.edu>, milne@ics.uci.edu (Alastair Milne) writes:
>Question for the day:  I've got a mac II here and have found that certain
>graphics intensive programs (macpaint for the SE, Talking Moose, Dungeon
>of Doom) Draw everything ok except the working area (thing being drawn)
>which appears
>seriously smallified in four scaled down ~1"x1" squares spread out along
>the menu bar.

    This is caused not by applications accessing memory at the wrong
address, but by accessing memory in the wrong FORMAT. The aforementioned
programs ASSUME that pixels consist of one bit, whereas in fact they
consist of 1, 2, 4 or 8 bits, depending on the graphics mode you set with
the Control Panel. Since the window frames and so on are drawn using
Quickdraw, they are drawn correctly. Anything the application does by
bypassing the ROM routines and accessing the memory directly comes out
wrong. Why do they do this? Generally speed. How do you fix it? Set the
monitor to monochrome using the Control Panel and it'll work perfectly,
unless they've broken even worse rules <grin>.
    Kelton

pepke@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (05/04/89)

In article <2488@nmtsun.nmt.edu> vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei) writes:
>Frames and menus appar intact and functional but what you draw or what moves
>is only drawn in those 4 tiny boxes.
>   [...]
>Is there a utility to fix this?

This is due to the fact that some programs assume a screen that has 1 bit
per pixel.  You can get most of these programs to work by setting the
screen depth to 2 colors.  For the rest, there is a shareware init/cdev
by Frank Price called ScreenMaster that claims to do what is needed.
I have never used ScreenMaster, so I don't know if or how well it works.
It should be available on Compuserve and sumex.

Eric Pepke                                     ARPA:   pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET: pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:   pepke@scri
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET: pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.